large breakfast, fits the template...still hungry?

Can anyone enlighten me? For breakfast I had a palm of ground beef, lots of veggies (sweet potato, carrot, celery, kale, spinach) and half an avocado. I had a 'big' breakfast (IMO) on purpose as I knew I wouldn't have a chance to have lunch until late today. But...it's just gone 8.30am...and I'm hungry having eaten two hours ago? 

This happens quite a lot even after I eat a big meal. What would you recommend? Do I need more protein, perhaps?

• Moderators

Several thoughts... ground beef is often relatively low fat, so you may not be getting much fat with your protein. There are several ways you might respond. You could increase the portion size of ground beef to 1.5 or 2 palm-size portions. You could add more fat to supplement the half an avocado you ate. Maybe a whole avocado or some olives. I wish grocery stores sold more 80/20 ground beef. A lot of what I see is 90/10. By the way, I really like the composition of your meal. You are getting a great variety of foods in one meal!

Another concern is the cumulative effect of all your meals. If you were eating too light at lunch and supper the previous day, you may get hungry fast even after a big breakfast. 

A third thought is about drinking enough water. I hear of some people feeling hungry when they are actually thirsty. Or at least, I hear of people increasing their water intake and suddenly finding they do not get hungry as often. You cannot make real hunger go away with water, but drinking another big glass of water may be helpful. Our overall guideline for water consumption is 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. That makes me a 95 ounce per day person. :)

• Moderators

I probably eat 10% fat ground beef most of the time because that is what I can get from my local rancher. It is fine. Last night, I added maybe 2/3 of a cup of kalamata olives to my stir-fry to boost the fat content. 

I am not an expert but it may take your brain 30 - 40 min for the 'I'm full' signal. Maybe eat a little slower if possible. Maybe eat a mini meal between breakfast and lunch. If you need 4 meals a day then do it. It takes a while for your body to change. Good Luck!

thankyou - I have tried to eat slower to the point where it turns to liquid in my mouth and putting down the fork between each meal - it's a bit trickier in the morning in preparation to work but maybe it will help here too!

Archived