Bacon Fat

Hey All!

I have a quick question- I (like all the women who came before me) save bacon grease. It's from better bacon sources, like Applegate & a local farm that didn't cure with sugar. The question is, since some of the saved fat IS from sugar-cured bacon, can I use it to cook with?

Thanks so much!

(2nd Whole 30 started 10/8/14- I just avoided bacon during the first one)

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good question.  I wish I had the answer.  I just started my first whole 30 and I have my bacon fat stored in the fridge.  I'm thinking mine's not compliant since I have never found a local source of sugar free bacon.  Oh well!

@Annabelle15: even if the sugar is not present in the fat, why not just cook with the officially approved oils for these 30 days? Then it's not even a question.

@JSteeleM: if it's not from approved bacon, I wouldn't use it.  From ISWF:

COOKING FAT

Your animal fats must be of the highest quality—grass-fed, pastured, and organic. Remember, the fat in factory-farmed meats is loaded with unhealthy toxins—residues from antibiotics, hormones, heavy metals, and pesticides. So the last thing you want to do is save your factory-farmed bacon fat and cook the rest of your food in it. Make sure you’re buying or rendering your animal fats only from 100 percent grass-fed, pastured, organic sources to ensure that the rest of your food is cooked in the “cleanest” fat possible.

(emphasis theirs)

Archived