Nausea after working out - no appetite

NazzaB

I'm finding when I do my really hard workouts, I really struggle to get in a post workout meal. The thought of eating makes me feel sick and has previously made me sick! This isn't particularly a Whole30 thing - I really struggle with consuming anything up to an hour after a strenuous workout. Does anyone else have this problem? Any tips? I just forced down some beetroot and tuna after a hard run but it took me half an hour to get it down I felt so sick!

• 2 months later...

The exact question I came looking for an answer this morning.  

I'm sitting here getting ready to workout (I have to do it early on work days) ... not hungry for a pre-workout meal.  And don't feel ready to eat until at least an hour after my workout when I'm on my way to work.  

I'm interested in what others have to say.  I thought maybe I'd adjust as I move along in the process, but as of now, it doesn't feel right to "force feed" just because...

PS  This is Day 5 for me.

I've never wanted to eat following CrossFit. People bring in treats sometimes (like watermelon) and are scarfing it down. That struck me as so odd at first since eating after CF makes my stomach hurt, and depending on how hard I pushed myself that day I'm a bit nauseas. I've just resolved to not eat for at least an hour afterward, then I usually have lemon water and a piece of fruit to kick-start digestion. If I'm remembering my physiology classes correctly, intense physical exertion which activates your striated muscles (biceps, glutes, etc.) lessens the activity of your smooth muscles (stomach, intestines). So it makes sense to me that my stomach says, "no thank you" until it can get back in the game.

How about something like an RX Bar post workout just to give your body some fuel?  Maybe you don't even have to eat the whole thing. I know smoothies aren't recommended but I make a small green smoothie with banana for sweetening and potassium post-workout (crossfit) and my recovery has been really good overall. about an hour later I eat some real food.

As a side note, pre- and post- meals don't need to be full meals. It just needs to have the components of a full meal (fat, protein, produce).

I am looking for better options too. Unfortunately, RX Bar won't work for me because I am allergic to eggs; B-o-o!

Hoping a Moderator weighs in on this :)

• Moderators

We recommend protein and carb post workout. Fat will slow the absorption of the protein so hold off on that. Save the Rxbars for emergency food (stuck in traffic/meetings/trapped in elevator and famished).

Sweet potatoes and chicken or compliant tuna are great post workout choices.

I get that when I first increase the intensity of my workouts.  I don't worry about trying to choke down some food - just drink some water & hop in the shower.  Usually by the time I'm done my shower and dressed, I'm ready to eat a few bites.  Hard-boiled eggs, baby carrots, and dates are my "go-to" foods for that.

Food's too delicious to waste calories choking it down when you're nauseous.  You can experiment, but for all the  talk about it, I've never noticed a significant difference in recovery whether I eat 10 minutes or 100 minutes after a workout.

IM with you...an hour after workout is beset for me. But I need help with pre-workout meals....recently, I have started to feel nauseous during workouts...I start with a hard boiled egg 30 minutes before working out, but by theend of the workout I am nauseous. Starting eating hard boiled egg because I was nauseous when working out, it got better...now getting bad again. Anyone else suffering from this conundrum?

Guest Andria

MarthaJane, have you tried a different compliant pre-workout meal other than a hard boiled egg?  Maybe something different would sit better in your stomach, i.e. chicken and some avocado?  In addition, you can eat that pre-workout meal up to 75 minutes before your workout.  If neither of these suggestions help,  it is not a requirement to eat a pre-workout meal as long as it is not your first meal of the day. 

Archived