Prepping for 10/27!

Alexian28

Hello everyone!  I am spending this week and weekend in preparation for my first Whole30 on Monday.  I'm married and have an almost 2 year old special needs daughter.  She eats very healthfully and I want to keep a good example for her.  I'm addicted to mindless eating - sunflower seeds and potato chips are my worst enemy - and emotional eating - a bad day at work makes me want chocolate.  My family just moved to a new state a few weeks ago so we're a bit out of our element.  We are temporarily renting a small apartment until we can buy a house and my husband is working from home, so we're all feeling a bit stressed at the moment!  I need this week to prep physically and mentally for the whole30, plus my in-laws will be in town this weekend so I knew it was useless to start too soon.  Luckily there are plenty of farmers markets around my home for great local, in season fruits and veggies.  i'm excited to get started and try to help myself break my food habits, and I hope to get to know some of you here on the forums!

>special needs daughter

>just moved to a new state

>temporarily renting a small apartment

>husband is working from home

>we're all feeling a bit stressed

>in-laws will be in town

Just know that your first W30 can often *add* stress to your life, what with the worrying about staying compliant, planning meals, etc.

If you start to feel that the wheels are coming off, bear in mind that it's not necessarily W30 that's causing it, but the mental overhead involved in fully committing to the process may just tip the scales towards an unbalanced life.

That being said, by giving your diet/lifestyle the laser focus of a W30, you may find some of your other stressors fade away.  You can know intellectually that by making good food choices you are (from the inside out) creating a stable platform from which to face the world. *Intrinsically* knowing/feeling this may not come right away, so if you hit low spots remind yourself of why you're doing it.

Thanks for checking in!  Yes there's definitely lots of stress in my life.  I completely agree with you that some of the stressors will fade away.  A couple of things I'm hoping to gain out of my first whole30 is better sleep and decreased joint pain.  My knees, shoulders, elbows, wrists and fingers are pretty much constantly at least at a dull ache; some days they hurt so much I can't do anything.  It then makes me super cranky and spirals into that "don't want to make dinner let's just get take-out I'm exhausted" type of evening.  Then I don't sleep.  :-)  If I don't lose a pound in a month, if I'm still fighting cravings, if I haven't hit tiger blood yet and have to extend to a whole60, it will be all worth it if I can ease the inflammation in my joints!  It will cascade positive things throughout my life.  In fact, as you recommended, I think I'll note this conversation down so I can return to it on the hard days when I want to give up and eat some chocolate.   :P

Alexian28 Im starting Monday too!! Im excited and nervous!!! I too am an emotional eater. In June I had a kidney transplant! After 14 years of lupus eating away at my kindey function, I need a new one.  I have since gained more than 15 pounds from surgery but was 15 over weight to begin with! EEEKKK!!! Here's to planning for Monday! I still need to clean out my pantry, plan my meals , shop for them and make one of those paper chains for the 30 days! Good luck!!!

Hi all! I am starting Monday, 10/27 as well. Let's all be buddies and help each other through these 30 days! I, too, am going through some stress - I start a new job in three weeks. For the two weeks starting 10/27 which will be the lst 2 weeks of my current job, I plan to get through the crappy part. I've heard that by week three you feel great. Week three will be my first week in my new (and probably more stressful) job. I'm hoping that by starting the new job with Whole30 habits I will be setting myself up for success. Plus I've also read that it helps with waking up in the morning, and I will definitely need to be up and fully present EARLY every day as my hours will be changing a bit. I haven't been a morning person since I was a baby.

I'm 29 years old. I'm 5'3". I don't know how much I weigh because I'm afraid to weigh myself - but I suspect that it's around 150. This past winter I did 4 months of Ideal Protein and lost 20lbs. I think I might be gaining some of it back, which terrifies me, because I worked really hard (and spent a LOT of $$) to lose it. Instead of going back on that expensive protocol that involves lots of weird and highly-processed foods, I thought I'd try this. It feels a bit more "realistic" and easy to navigate while also, you know, living your life.

The thing that scares me most about doing the Whole30 is the no alcohol rule. Even with Ideal Protein you weren't allowed alcohol - but I drank my 2 glasses of wine almost every weeknight and still reliably lost weight. I drank zero alcohol for several months last year in an effort to rule out alcohol as a migraine trigger (still got migraines), and it was all right. I suspect that if you feel worried at the prospect of giving up wine, that in itself is a reason to give it up for awhile, so I know this will be good for me.

I fear I'm rambling so that's enough from me for now. It will be a pleasure to get to know you all better in the coming weeks. Don't hesitate to say hello or ask for support - I'm sure I will be doing the same! :-)

> I suspect that if you feel worried at the prospect of giving up wine, that in itself is a reason to give it up for awhile, so I know this will be good for me.

That's how I see it too. The section about alcohol in ISWF is also a good reinforcing read.

Ya, currently on my 2nd official W30, but I do grain- & dairy-lite most of the time.

I don't get over the moon about any W30-specific benefits, but I do feel it's a great opportunity for a tune-up in both diet and psychology.

Hello Darci and Stardust!  I would love to have y'all in our own little support group!  

Darci it sounds like you've been through so much, and I thank the selflessness of the person who chose to be an organ donor so that we could meet each other.  Although I don't think the whole30 is terribly high in protein, you might want to consider running the plan by a nutritionist if you have access to one, just to make sure you're in the safe range for kidney function.  Those paper chains are awesome; I made one when I was on hospital bedrest while pregnant.  Except instead of counting down days and removing links, I added one on for every day.  I will never get rid of that paper chain!  

Stardust your plan with your new job sounds great, and congratulations on the new job!  Hopefully you'll be cruising smooth in week 3 prepped and ready to go.  I can understand giving up the wine.  I stopped drinking any alcohol about the time we started discussing kids and I really missed it for awhile.  Now after 3 years I hardly think about it and probably drink just a few times a year.  Plus my alcohol tolerance has gone way down, so whereas before I'd drink 4 or 5 drinks now I just have 1 or 2 and that's bonus for caloric intake!  Or maybe I'm just getting old :-)  

Our contract was accepted on the house we're buying sooooo assuming inspection goes well tomorrow I'll have to move my house smack dab in the middle of w30.  Huzzah.  That won't stop me though!  I'll just have to do a bit of extra planning to have some freezer meals prepped and ready to go.

Archived