Baby Shower

MistyLuv79

I have a friend's baby shower coming up soon...  It's at an Italian restaurant and I have no idea if there will be a pre-set list of foods or I'll be able to order from the whole menu.  Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with this kind of situation?

I'm pretty much picturing myself with a bowl of lettuce and home-brought dressing (surrounded by happy, pasta slurping women, of course).

You could either contact the person who is organizing the baby shower or call the restaurant where the party is going to be in advance... just explain what you can eat and ask them if there is anything that you can have. If there is nothing compliant on the menu: ask them to make you something within the rules. I know the Italian cuisine has lot of lovely meat and veggie dishes, so if the cook is Italian maybe he/she would welcome the chance to bring out Nonna's classics (without the cheese, please).
If not so: I have been able to take some of my home cooked food into restaurants at times like this and they would even reheat it for me. Maybe if they do serve pasta with sauce that is compliant, you could offer to bring in zucchini noodles...
I don't like making calls like this, but I hate sitting there hungry more (and eating off plan is not a option)... I usually go into the call  with an attitude of actively helping in finding solutions, not just dump it on the chef. And I have been amazed how kindly people can react if you give them the heads up.
Have fun at the baby shower!

I too have a baby shower to attend this Sunday and I'm a little worried. I Just started my first Whole30 and I'll be on Day 3 at the shower. I have a few thoughts:

- most showers are set up as a buffet so I will be able to pick and choose what I put on my plate. Meat, veggie, salad without dressing, etc.

- I will pack compliant snacks in my purse to hold me over if necessary

- The biggest for me (if I can't find out what is being served ahead of time) is that I will eat lunch prior to going to the shower. I won't feel deprived and sit there hungry if they aren't serving anything compliant.

Good luck, we can do this!

I too have a baby shower to attend this Sunday and I'm a little worried. I Just started my first Whole30 and I'll be on Day 3 at the shower. I have a few thoughts:

- most showers are set up as a buffet so I will be able to pick and choose what I put on my plate. Meat, veggie, salad without dressing, etc.

- I will pack compliant snacks in my purse to hold me over if necessary

- The biggest for me (if I can't find out what is being served ahead of time) is that I will eat lunch prior to going to the shower. I won't feel deprived and sit there hungry if they aren't serving anything compliant.

Good luck, we can do this!

A cautionary note on buffets, as someone who's lived gluten-free for 8 years, it's really tricky to ensure food from a buffet is gluten-free (plus dairy free, soy-free, etc.). I would contact the restaurant ahead of time and see if you can arrange for a compliant meal.

Archived