Checkout my meals and tell me if I'm on the right track

I am a nursing mom and fitness instructor. I also workout 5-6 days a week. I am on Day 4. Some of my energy came back today, but I'm still hungry between meals. After looking through the forum I suspect that I'm not eating enough fat.

Day 3:

Meal 1: spinach and 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil and half a sweet potato, a cup of coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2: a salad with romaine lettuce, carrots , cabbage and a heaping portion of chopped chicken thighs with olive oil and apple cider vinegar and a banana

Meal 3: a whole sweet potato with two portions of roasted pork shoulder and a bunch of asparagus drizzled with lemon and olive oil. An apple.

Day 4 (today):

Meal 1: chopped broccoli and 2 eggs in coconut oil, a pear, and two cups of coffee each with a good tablespoon of coconut milk

Meal 2: same as day 3

Pre-WO: a handful of almonds and a portion of almond butter ( I now know that the almonds are not counted as a protein)

Post-WO/Meal 3: roasted pork shoulder over a plate full of spaghetti squash in olive oil. A few spoonfuls of almond butter.

I am still pretty hungry. Given that I workout after work/before dinner, it doesn't make much sense to have two seperate meals. Also today's workout was just a 4 mile run. Any ideas? Do I need more fat? After years of eating low fat/ high carb this is all pretty strange to me and my body! ;) TIA!

Eat more. :-)

Your breakfasts need 1-2 *additional* eggs for your protein. When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. Have the whole sweet potato at meal 1. The salads at lunch may fill you initially, but don't tend to satiate for long. Add or swap out with 1-3 cups of cooked veggies.

Have a protein with fat pre WO.

Add another mini meal of protein/veg/fat if needed, especially as you're nursing.

To be clear, I wasn't saying only have cooked veggies for lunch: my suggestion was to add them to your meal or have them instead of the raw salad ingredients, to better satiate you. For best results, have all meals meet the recommended template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of fat.

Soup, chili or stew kept hot in a thermos is one thought. If you don't have access to a microwave, a veggie frittata kept in a cooler/insulated bag is another option. If you do have access to a microwave, it doesn't take long to heat up leftovers: mine typically take 1.5 - 3 minutes.

Questions: Are your 5-6 days of workouts in addition to the classes you teach? What kind of classes are you teaching? I'm also a group fitness instructor and I've had to cut back a bit on my personal workouts in order to have adequate recovery. But I also eat loads more than what you are reporting and you have the additional stress on your body of nursing. Definitely get a larger first meal in and I would even add a 4th. 

GFChris - I understood about adding (and not replacing) more veggies :) I just don't have time (not even 1-3 minutes) to heat anything up.  I have to have everything ready to go/eat.  I'll have to try the frittata idea.  Sounds good!  

Physibeth: Yes, my workouts are in addition to classes I teach.  I work as an instructor and personal trainer in the gym/pool of a retirement community (full time).  I also teach spin - but right now that's just several times a month (at a spin studio, not at the retirement community).  The classes I teach to my seniors are not very heavy duty (except for aqua aerobics), but I am moving around on my feet all day - which I love.  I agree with you that when I first started fitness instructing, I had to adjust my workouts to take into account the added activity.  But overtime, I have learned to do more and more coaching and cuing and less and less working out in front of a group of people - if you catch my drift.  Its much easier on my body and allows me to get the most out of my own workouts, rather than just being constantly slightly fatigued.  Glad to hear you eat "loads more" :)  I will make my portions more generous :)

Today's Meal 1:

3 eggs and spinach cooked in coconut oil

a giant sweet potato

a pear

coffee with coconut milk

I ate at 6:15am and was full until at least 11am! Success!  I had to keep my Meal 2 the same (no time to go to the grocery store before this morning), but I will definitely eat a bigger Meal 3.  I have no idea how I would add a Meal 4 on days when I work.

All of the sudden today, I have SO. MUCH. ENERGY.  I was not expecting that to happen so quickly... but I'm not complaining!

Thanks again for the feedback!

Archived