99 Restaurant, can I...

Sugardust

It looks like you should be able to find something to eat there. If you have time before you head out the door to the restaurant, you could call them (say, at 2:00 in the afternoon when they're not likely to be busy) and ask to speak to someone who knows how the food is prepared.

It looks like you could aim at, for instance, a dry-grilled steak, a plain baked sweet potato, and a double order of steamed veggies - all of these items with nothing on them. You could bring in a small package of preferred spices, or just go with salt and pepper, and maybe bring in a dressing of some sort for the veggies (I carry mine in a used spice jar in my purse).

Things to ask about: is the steak marinated and if so in what (some restaurant chains, to make all their steaks taste the same, send steaks to each individual restaurant pre-marinaded in soy oil and sugar and spices and probably msg, so the individual restaurant can't offer a plain dry-grilled steak); is the sweet potato just a potato, or do they, for instance, dust it in flour; same question about the veggies.

I think you'll find something you can eat there. But if you can call and ask before you go, your ordering experience will be easier.  Good luck!

This particular restaurant has a gluten-sensitive menu, which helps a bit. You can use that menu to rule out things with gluten, for example: it says for the prime rib to be gluten-free you have to skip with au jus, so now you know the au jus has gluten....you still have to be vigilant about soy and dairy and grains and sugar, but this is a step in the right direction.

Archived