Wanting to CAVE!

cgrunnergirl

I am hanging on by a thread. Birthday festivities, weekend BBQ's,stressed and feeling deprived. My sleep is getting better but the cravings are getting worse! I thought by today, Day 14 the difficult part would be over. The last few days have seemed harder than the first few! I am craving sugar and alll I want is frozen yogurt, a glass of wine, and a cookie! I just taught my spinning class and I felt like crud & had no energy, and I also am struggling with limited patience and headaches. Any tips or advice you all can share? Sorry to complain but help!!!

Hi runnergirl,

Thanks for asking for help. Some people have more delayed cravings than others. We are all different. I had a few days of headaches and some intense moments of anger. Make sure that you are eating enough at each meal. Most of the times when I have had issues with hunger is when I did not eat enough - especially protein or fat. Try making some of the wonderful dressing in ISWF book. The Dreamy Avocado Dressing is wonderful. Maybe try making something you never had before. Be adventuresome, it makes it fun. And then sometimes a good cry just helps when nothing else will. :ph34r:

Another thought is are you getting enough water? Just throwing some ideas out there. Just writing about it can help. I know that helps me. Going to BBQs and outings can be tough.

Never feel like you are complaining. Hang in there and just keep talking about it. There are lots of folks here that can help.

I hope this helped some. Have a better day!

Faith

Hi Faith,

Thanks for the speedy reply, it helped! Knowing there is a large support group out there is wonderful! I am getting ready to do some cooking for the week and am planning on mixing it up. I will post a few recipes if they are delicious. I think part of it is I am angry & sad and feel like I want to cry and I have no idea why. That is so opposite my personality and it is throwing me for a loop. Another hurdle I have this week is a dear friend is coming to visit for the week,we both love food and she is not eating Whole30. I am not sure how to make it not seem like I am eating differently & then not feeling deprived when she eats something that is not Whole30. I also have a few people that are telling me I am nuts to eat like this and "good luck" making it the 30 days!

cgrunnergirl

You can do this! Just find some fun new recipes (or lots of BBQ'ing) and your friend will probably not even notice that you are excluding things like pasta or rice. And if you say you don't have things around the house there is not much you can make without being compliant.

I don't think you will have a problem completing the 30 days and those people who say "good luck" are just jealous of your self control and soon will be asking you for your tips on how you look so good! keep at it

Hi cgrunnergirl. Sorry you're having a tough few days.

Will you be doing the cooking when your friend is visiting or will you be eating out?

If you are cooking at home, you're in charge of your kitchen so what I would do is make some delicious Whole30 compliant recipes from Melissa's Theclothesmakethgirl blog (I haven't had one of her dishes yet that I didn't love!)-your friend can eat Whole30 by default and she will most likely love the dishes anyway.You could serve some other sides that she may want such as rice or potato or whatever if you like, but if the main dish of the meal is W30, then you will have no problem just enjoying your tasty meals and staying on plan. You won't have to make a fuss about anything as you can just help yourself to the parts of the meal that you want. It won't be a big deal. If you wish to serve a dessert, you could make sure to also have something on offer that you can eat too-say some fresh mango and lime juice or blueberries, coconut milk and coconut flakes-even if you have a second non-W30 dessert for your friend and whoever else is dining with you, you can still enjoy your own and indeed your friend might prefer your option too-you never know!

As regards the people who are telling you you are nuts and that you'll find it hard to make the 30 days-my guess is that they don't eat that well themselves-they tend to be the first to throw the 'it's too hard to eat like that' line. Stick to your guns, be happy with your choices and really in the end of the day, what you eat is your own business and no-one elses. When you are finished your Whole30 and feeling and looking great, the doubters will have their answer :) .

Hope you enjoy your week with your friend!

Hi-

I have made a few things from theclothesmakethegirl website and everything has been delicious. I am cooking while she is here.

A few questions-

• Snack suggestions? She is a big snacker and I am missing chips. What about sweet potato chips? Carrot & beet chips? other Ideas...
  • Tried & true dinner suggestions that are semi fast & delicious (I know it will be a busy week with her here)?

Thanks for the tips, it is nice not to feel alone in this journey.

cgrunnergirl

One thing you could try is to keep some sort of quick and easy pre-cooked protein in the fridge. I like to make carnitas - a spiced shredded pork that can be used for all sorts of things. Start with 3-4 lbs of pork shoulder, deboned and cut into chunks and lining the bottom of your crockpot. Thick-slice an onion and lay that on top of the pork. Then sprinkle on 2 tbsp oregano, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp cumin and 1 tsp ground chipotle. Add 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, put the lid on with the crockpot on low and leave it alone for 6 hours... Then pull the meat out and shred it (I use 2 forks or sometimes my fingers - messy!) Discard the onions and juices from the pot... This luscious meat can be tossed in a salad, scrambled in eggs, eaten as is - or used in any number of other dishes, just use your imagination.

Hey lady,

Thanks so much for sharing your struggles and being honest! What a powerful thing to be able to reach out when the cravings are hitting and you are feeling shaky...rather then after the fact. some things that help me when I am craving sweetness is to eat something savory (not sweet!) don't feed sugar cravings with fruit or any sugars. instead throw it off with protein and lots of water. maybe even some licorice tea.

Also....take this time to write down your goals and the things you have acheived thus far....no matter how small. Even if it is saying no to an offer of a cookie the other day, or going 3 nights in a row without snacking after dinner. Whatever it is that you have changed, it is significant and will give you a perspective on how far you have come in 14 days! If your friend loves food, I'm sure they will be incredibly impressed that you are able to make such delicious things made from whole ingredients. Experiment with different vegetables. I roasted turnips and parsnips last night and they were so good!

Here are some really great recipes I have tried that have blown peoples minds recently :)

carrot and parsnip puree from nomnom paleo:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4105061950/carrot-parsnip-puree

just FYI, I used it without the onion and it was EPIC.

Lamb and mint burgers from Make it Paleo ( if you don't have the book, there are plenty of recipes for lamb burgers on the internet, just make sure to add 2 eggs to make them juicier)

coconut oil caramelized onions

(soooo good!)

Let us know how you are doing, you are not alone!!!

Tess

Hi Summergirl, Tess, Kcrady57, jhmomi,Renee, and Faith,

Wanted to let you know I survived and I couldn't have done it without you all! I am celebrating the fact I did not go off the deep end with food, I stuck to my guns, made good choices and even turned my attitude around and handled the day with grace (far from how I was on Saturday). It felt good to not let my emotions and old mental habits get the best of me. I am so thankful for this blog and that you all encouraged me in different ways, THANK YOU!

I am so used to being a cheerlearder for everyone else it is nice to have a little cheerleading coming my way!

As for today-I don't feel grumpy, angry, or deprived (I am fighting off a headache-I did not eat enough for breakfast. I had 2 hard boiled eggs and half a peach after crossfit-lesson learned). I just ate a shrimp salad with fig vinagrette dressing, sauteed spinach and some almonds and I am hoping that sends the headache away for the day.

My fridge is stocked with great food for my firends visit and I am planning on making several new dishes this week from Melissa's site to keep things exciting. I still haven't decided how to marinate or season my tri-tip...any ideas?

I will keep posting and letting you know how I am doing.

Happy Monday!

cgrunnergirl

Absolutely fabulous job....huge milestone. Lets keep this feeling of triumph and accomplishment in the safe for when we need to reference it again. doing this now is the biggest form of self care you can give yourself, much like a big gift at the end of every day. Keep it up we are here.

Tess

Thanks Tess.

Okay Fellow Whole 30 friends,

My next next big challenge and I should have asked about this SOONER! Over the next 3 days my friend and I are planning ondoing 3 "long & hilly" rides on our road bikes. Normally, this would not even be a thought for me but I have noticed I have backed off at the gym a bit since my normal stamina isn't quite there and I am a little concerned about "bonking" on our rides.

She is going to use GU and Chomps and I am planning on not. I am a little nervous since those have been my staples for fuel in the past on long runs and rides. I was going to pack figs, jerky, and a banana. Does this sound ok or am I way off for a 40 mile ride with hills?

YIKES! By the way dinner 1 down with her and my family and I stayed Whole30 compliant!

For the Tri-Tip tonight, I marinated it in roasted garlic olive oil, minced onion, 3 garlic cloves (pressed),coconut aminos, lemon pepper, sea salt, and a splah of coconut vinegar. It was very tasty.

Your marinade sounds delicious! Great that you stayed W30 compliant for your first meal with your friend-you can totally do it for the remainder of the meals too!

For your bike rides-is is just sustaining quick snacks you want to pack or will you also be stopping for a picnic along the way? I'm not a cyclist so I've no idea whether you'd be doing the 40 miles at a stretch or over the course of a day, with a stop off in a shady spot for a picnic lunch :)

What about packing a couple of hardboiled eggs? Some nuts? Olives? Some pieces of cooked chicken (if you'll have a little chiller bag with you?)

Hi there runnergirl! Congrats on all your success so far! :) Great ideas for the bike ride summergirl and kcrady. Forty miles is a long trip and you want to make sure you sustain your energy.

You are doing such an awesome job! Enjoy your bike ride and your friend.

Faith

Thanks for the great suggestions. We wont be stopping for a picnic, which would be great and the snacks need to be small and portable since they need to fit in my jeersey pockets. I will post later what I ended up taking and how it worked.

I keep hearing about baby food and a friend mentioned she used it during a long distance event. Tell me why? I have to say when I had my daughter we made all our food and didn't use a jar of babyfood...they have never been appealing to me and I worry about additives.

I hope you are all are having a great day and wishing you Whole 30 SUCCESS!

cgrunnergirl

I think the baby foods are suggested because you can buy organic sweet potato and fruit combos in squeeze pouches without preservatives and they are no cook and super portable. You really have to check the labels though. Not something I would have frequently, but a few of those might supplement your other fuel sources for your long rides. Good luck!

Ride update to come in a bit (38 miles done & I only ate real food)!

For now, how am I going to survive no adult beverages. My husband and friend are both having evening cocktails...and I want a GLASS of wine.

Really, who am I kidding I want a bottle after my 38 mile ride with a monster hill climb! HELP!!!

cgrunnergirl

Good for you staying compliant! 38 miles of victory:)

Step away from the corkscrew.... And try kombucha if you have some or soda water with a splash of cranberry (make sure it's just juice) or Pom juice. Or take a completely different route and eat something compliant that is a treat for you. I would opt for a really nice steak or scallops. Or both lol

Hang in there!

Hi All,

38 miles of victory, I love that, thanks Aberrantatavia! It wasn't pretty but I did it with grace and thanked my body for being such a trooper especially through all the changes. The flats were fine but my monster hill was a bear and I had to stop several times (I never stop usually, so that mentally was hard but physically I was toast so I accepted and took it slower than normal). Extremely tired now and hope I sleep well. Oh, last night I had the most vivid food dreams. That is the second time I have had that type of dream, the mind is a powerful thing!

I think I am going to start logging food tomorrow to get feedback and see where I need to tweak things.

I stepped away from the corkscrew and had passion/black ised tea unsweetened...not the same as wine but I know I won't have a headache tomorrow. :)

Good night and good luck to all out there you can do this!

cgrunnergirl

Archived