Vaping While Doing the Whole 30

jlapine

i'm looking into doing the whole 30, and also want to quit smoking. i've stopped smoking cigarettes, and use a vaporizer (i know, still bad, but an improvement over cigarettes). does anyone have any experience with this? i know that tobacco is out, but i'm wondering if the oil for the vaporizer would be a major issue. any advice would be much appreciated!

• Moderators

I'm sorry. Vaping is the same as smoking for you. You are still consuming an addictive substance, albeit in a way that is kinder to the people around you. The official Whole30 position is that you should stop smoking/vaping and do the Whole30. My view is that if you can't stop vaping cold turkey, do a Whole30 anyway, but know that your results will be somewhat less than they would be if you were smoke/vape free. 

• 1 year later...

Is the nicotine the addictive substance? Before starting Whole 30 I used my vape to curb sweet cravings and also use one with CBD oil in it to help with my arthritis. None of my juices have nicotine in them and the CBD is organic. I can't take anti-inflammatory medicines orally.

Thank you!

Staci

• Moderators

Is the nicotine the addictive substance? Before starting Whole 30 I used my vape to curb sweet cravings and also use one with CBD oil in it to help with my arthritis. None of my juices have nicotine in them and the CBD is organic. I can't take anti-inflammatory medicines orally.

Thank you!

Staci

I would not use it to curb sweet cravings on Whole30 -- the Whole30 itself should take care of that, if you're eating meals based on the meal template, and if you continue vaping to curb those cravings you're really just trading your habit of eating sweets for a habit of vaping, which is not what we want you to do. We typically recommend that if someone is having a craving for sweets, and they've tried to distract themselves (by going for a walk, calling a friend, meditating, working on a hobby, or other techniques like that), then instead have some fat -- a handful of olives or some avocado are good options, or even a spoonful of coconut oil works for some people.

Using it for pain -- if it's doctor prescribed, it's definitely allowed, no question, Whole30's stance is doctor's orders always trump Whole30 rules. Pain meds in general tend to be a personal choice on W30, as there really aren't any that are truly compliant, but we don't want you to be in pain either. (For the record, cannabis is not compliant in general, unless one has a doctor's prescription.)

Hopefully, you will find that Whole30 helps with your pain and you can reduce the amount of CBD oil you need over time -- many people find that they can reduce various meds over time by eating this way.

Archived