November 2014 Whole 30, post whole30 log

Dem

Thank you MissMary - by the time I leave I will have completed a Whole45 so I will use this time away (and not having to cook) to "ride my own bike."  Of course I am a little nervous about sliding back into old habits but there's always a full whole30 to come back to.

2B2K - I have the same experience with sugar/energy.  By evening I feel completely sugar-drugged and it is all I can do to stumble through the evening until it is a "legitimate" bed time.  When I'm not eating sugar (and carbs) I may be tired but I'm able to cope and be slightly productive in the evening.  You expressed it perfectly.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feeling some cravings this morning. Going grocery shopping today and I am sure I will be tempted to buy candy like last week. I have some meatballs and almonds to take with me. Just going to try to stick to my list.

2babies2kidsmom: your post above eating sugar was so honest and true! Time wasted on stuff that makes us unhappy..why do we do it? I definitely feel less productive off the whole 30 and just kind of grumpy...I keep trying to get back on the wagon completely but havent had a truly compliant day since I stopped. I keep saying I will do this or that but right now it seems to be just words. I feel like a politician :) I signed up for the January whole 30 so I might be doing myself a favor if I gave myself a head start. One positive..still no wine! 45 days! Tonight is my husband's work Christmas meal so it may end here!

Just had my last day on whole30 yesterday! I can't believe I actually lasted for 30 days. I was so nervous starting out, but I'm so happy I did! I don't really know what to reintroduce first, so I'm starting veeeery slowly and just seeing how my days pan out. But as far as food goes when I'm cooking, I'll stay whole30 for sure.

I lost 11 pounds, which I'm so pleased about! My BMI is now totally acceptable, but more important; I just feel better in my own body! I'm shooting for 10 pounds more, but I'm in no rush though. I am so happy with how much my eating patterns have changed, that the weight loss is just an added bonus. 

I'm a bit worried about the reintroductions. Because I'm feeling really good right now, I don't wanna mess it up, you know?
How did you guys handle the reintroductions? I think I need to read that part in ISWF before changing anything up. 

Happy Saturday to you guys! Hope you are well! 

Congratulations Emmy!  Such a great feeling!  I didn't handle my reintroducitons very well.  I just couldn't shake that mentality that, "I'm going off plan anyway, I might as well eat some sugar too."  I don't recommend doing that.  

Jess, I hear you.  For me it's the fact that I'm not committed to a 30 day program, so I feel like I don't have the same constraints.  Of course I want to eat healthy and compliant, but just knowing that I'm going to eat chocolate on Christmas and my birthday makes it harder for me to stay on track.  My secret santa gave me some m&ms last night, and I ate them.  I tried to just accept it and not beat myself up.  But I'm not sure it was really worth it.  I like the plain ones and these were mint.  So, they really weren't as satisfying as the original.  I think the problem was I was hungry, tired, kids were going wild, and then these cute little Christmas colored M&Ms were right there.  Oh well, I guess that's in the past.  Now I need to get through today!

Hey Everybody!

So good to see all of us back at it on this thread!  I had a very encouraging experience this week that was such confirmation of why we are doing this.  I went to the dentist and as the hygienist was cleaning my teach and measuring my gums she said, "Wow,  are you doing anything different? Things look GREAT in here!" I told her the only thing I had changed was my food intake.  She even called the dentist over to take a look and have me explain Whole30.   Hows that for encouraging?  We are doing so much more for our insides than we will ever know from the outside.  Let's keep at in and keep supporting each other!

Julie

Julie-that is amazing news! Need to remember that. Is it weird that I kind of cannot wait until my January whole 30???

So last night I had alcohol for the first time in 45 days. My husband's xmas party was a three course dinner and I knew I would have a drink. I went to crossfit and ran yesterday because I thought I would be having this massive dinner. Well the pumpkin soup was amazing. I ordered beef Wellington and it was seriously sooo small. Didnt eat the pastry and had a couple of veggies. Didnt finish my dessert because it was awful. So on top of not eating much and exercising like a mad woman, I had three drinks. This morning I feel like I did ten rounds of shots...not good at all. My sleep was horrible...first time in weeks. I can honestly say I could go a long time without drinking again. Not worth it at all :( because I can already tell I wont get a lot done today!

Julie, that is amazing!

Jess, I am excited for January 1st also. I crave the rules and the structure. I feel like since I am not committed to anything that I'm just in a free for all. I am totally off plan right now. Tempted to start another whole30 right now! But I don't think I could do it without a great forum like we had in November.

I have been thinking today, is there any food that is really "worth it"? I just hate the way I feel after eating sugar. I am not sure there is really any dessert that is worth going off plan for. No amount of sugar is ever going to satisfy me, so why do I keep going back?

Sorry to be such a Debbie downer! You guys are doing so great and I am so happy for you.

Jess, I am with you.  I had a planned "Off Road" meal Saturday which included pizza and 3 glasses of wine.  I woke up all night long and felt like I had poisoned myself.   Yuck.  So glad I don't live like that anymore!!!

My sister and her husband are starting Whole30 in January so I picked up a bottle of Coconut Aminos and a jar of coconut oil as a gift to get them started :) It is so fun to share this with someone who is anxious to make a major life change.

Hi gang - I am officially off plan now - I had a glass of wine with dinner last night and I ate something called shirataki noodles (made from sweet potatoes and something called glucomannan - I think it's not on plan because if it was I am sure we would have heard somewhere that there were complaint noodles!!)  Because I was in a restaurant the glass of wine was really small (ok - probably normal sized) so I didn't over do it with the alcohol.  I did notice that it awoke my sugar dragon and when I came home I had to really force myself not to start on sweets.  What I made instead was a frozen banana and frozen rasberries mixed with coconut cream in the blender.  I am sure that counts as SWYPO but it stopped my cravings and didn't make me feel as awful as an ice cream sundae would have (since that's what I wanted.)  Even though these choices are after the 30 days I still feel vulnerable to spiralling out of control...

Julie, that's great! Yay for awesome dental visits. And 2babies, you're not a downer. You're thinking about this stuff, which is the goal. Keep bringing your thoughts here - we all probably share them!

I have had a lot of "off-road" foods in the past week and I am really surprised at how much more I feel the effect on my digestive system after this second W30 - usually at about 3am. But it's good! All the horrible, middle-of-the-night cramps and pains really reinforces that I should stay away from overindulging on those foods. I needed that feedback, because everything felt fine the first week off the plan. It took about 10 days for the pimples to crop up and these other issues to arise. I'll continue to enjoy my paleo meals and enjoy the odd treat, but I really needed this reminder.

Really struggling with sugar cravings. It's like I never broke the habit. Last week was a lot of late work nights in addition to regulate stress. I was often famished by the time I was able to eat but I was out of the fresh veggies etc. that make whole30 meals so yummy. Even though I ate and was full I really didn't feel satisfied. I finally got to the store and stocked up on cilantro, limes and coconut milk and more zucchini for noodles. I'm definitely going to take part in the 1 January challenge. There's a lot of talk about additional whole30s being easier and feeling the effects sooner.

Some stream of consciousness this morning, as I was cleaning my floor:

Thank you for sharing such honest thoughts!   I have similar discussions with myself often.   Wanna know what this reminds me of?   I travel a ton so I've got the American Airlines safety demonstration memorized... there is that part about the oxygen masks:  "Pull it firmly toward you to begin the flow of oxygen, even though oxygen is flowing the bag may not inflate.   If you are seated next to a child, put your mask on first, then assist the child."  Literally - we are so much better equipped to help our loved ones when we've taken care of ourselves.   Even if they don't like it or they feel inconvenienced by our choices, we are paying them back in the form of good examples and even a longer healthier life to share with them!  

I took a little off-road adventure this weekend - it was all really minor and more along the lines of just being less strict...e.g. I stuck fast to the meal template and didn't snack, but I cooked up sausages that were cured with sugar, added honey to my tea, put some cream in my coffee and went out for Thai food without quizzing the waitstaff about every little ingredient (and then wound up devouring the side of white rice that came to the table).    I had little consequences almost immediately, mostly in the form of feeling overfull at the restaurant, followed by a sugar crash a couple of hours later.      I should have known better - I had a better plan for my reintroductions, but I got impatient.     Anyway, on Monday I laid off dairy and swore off grain again, but kept the honey in my tea (making excuses for my sore throat/cold) and took some OTC cold medicine that definitely included some type of sugar and goddess-knows what else...  by Monday afternoon I had the most uncomfortable fluttering sensation in my tummy/chest area - like the way that I felt that one time in college where I pulled an all-nighter with the help of 16 shots of espresso over just a few hours.  Basically it was awful, and unless I'm allergic to the turmeric I used so heavily in my chicken soup (unlikely) - I'd say that I really need to stay away from sugar...

It's just hard for me to believe that 32 days was enough time to let me body know the difference between good and bad foods.   I mean, the way I ate this weekend would have been considered GOOD even two months ago.   There was no candy or ice cream or deep fried anything.   It might be crazy to say this, but I'm mourning the loss of my imagined immunity to the junk food.   Does that make sense?   I mean, I did this on purpose, and in the long run it's great that I get such good motivation to stay away from stuff that is (and always has been) objectively BAD for me, but there's a kid inside of me that's really sad that I won't be able to eat junk food, even on rare occasions, without feeling like crap.

Dem - I leave Friday night to start the cruise on Saturday.  I need to figure out my strategy while away.  I hate to say "no wine" because I'm traveling with my mother in law and there is a really good chance that a bit of wine may be a necessity in dealing with her.  I'd like to imagine my healthier habits and knowledge will be  enough but....My current plan is to take things meal-by-meal; day-by-day.  I had an extremely stressful interaction yesterday and I was planning to go get some wine but I had (luckily) scheduled a Pilates class.  I didn't make a decision about the wine - I figured I would see how I felt after getting a little exercise and sure enough I was able to move forward and not drink.  I am learning that the intense cravings can and do pass  When they're happening though it can feel unbearable.  So, meal-by-meal on the cruise and I will absolutely be back on the 28th!  Happy holidays to all:)

I took a little off-road adventure this weekend - it was all really minor and more along the lines of just being less strict...e.g. I stuck fast to the meal template and didn't snack, but I cooked up sausages that were cured with sugar, added honey to my tea, put some cream in my coffee and went out for Thai food without quizzing the waitstaff about every little ingredient (and then wound up devouring the side of white rice that came to the table).    I had little consequences almost immediately, mostly in the form of feeling overfull at the restaurant, followed by a sugar crash a couple of hours later.      I should have known better - I had a better plan for my reintroductions, but I got impatient.     Anyway, on Monday I laid off dairy and swore off grain again, but kept the honey in my tea (making excuses for my sore throat/cold) and took some OTC cold medicine that definitely included some type of sugar and goddess-knows what else...  by Monday afternoon I had the most uncomfortable fluttering sensation in my tummy/chest area - like the way that I felt that one time in college where I pulled an all-nighter with the help of 16 shots of espresso over just a few hours.  Basically it was awful, and unless I'm allergic to the turmeric I used so heavily in my chicken soup (unlikely) - I'd say that I really need to stay away from sugar...

It's just hard for me to believe that 32 days was enough time to let me body know the difference between good and bad foods.   I mean, the way I ate this weekend would have been considered GOOD even two months ago.   There was no candy or ice cream or deep fried anything.   It might be crazy to say this, but I'm mourning the loss of my imagined immunity to the junk food.   Does that make sense?   I mean, I did this on purpose, and in the long run it's great that I get such good motivation to stay away from stuff that is (and always has been) objectively BAD for me, but there's a kid inside of me that's really sad that I won't be able to eat junk food, even on rare occasions, without feeling like crap.

Oh it is amazing what a difference it makes! I notice I start to feel nauseous after just a little bit of chocolate. It's no fun to binge now!

Has anyone else noticed that they never woke up with a yucky taste in their mouth while on Whole30 (and probably not bad breath, either)?  Each time I have "off roaded" I wake up and think, "Yuck! I need mouthwash".  I find that so interesting.  Garlic can really mess with my stomach and leave a horrible taste in my mouth, but I had it a ton on Whole30 and never had a single problem with it.  I wonder if it has something to do with beneficial bacteria or messing with it with the wrong foods.  Just a thought.

Alas my morning breath did not really abate while on whole30, but I have noticed something else really unexpected - my hair is getting thicker.   I have a TON of long thicker than average hair (I grow it out, donate 16" to locks of love, and repeat - and I'm only about 6months away from another donation) and I shed like it's my job.  I brush it out before I wash it and again with conditioner in it, and I have noticed a real reduction in the amount of hair that collects in my brush.   I'm pretty sure it was a noticeable difference right around the 3rd week of my whole30.   Crazy!

Also, I had a major win today- office christmas luncheon catered from a great cajun restaurant.   I went off road a little, but filled my plate with good choices - though I have really forgotten how FULL rice makes me!   But I managed to realize this before I ate myself too full, AND my super satiated self didn't even care about the crappy cookie tray!   I indulged in a cupcake that totally wasn't worth it, but the whole thing was a conscious / mindful / low stress / guilt-free experience for me.    I love it!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my cruise and it was an interesting experience for sure.  I felt that the food tasted really salty and I was kind of grossed out by the meat.  I actually missed my own home cooking from the past month.  I am starting again on the January 1 mega Whole 30.  Who's in and what forum are you on?  Definitely will be needing support!

The holidays have definitely been eye-opening.   Sugar (including alcohol, sigh) really screws up my sleep patterns, and I am baffled by how hard it is to base a meal around MEAT at someone else's house.    I am moving on Jan. 13th, so I can't realistically do a real whole 30 again until after my kitchen is unpacked, but I also miss my own cooking.  I ate like a king for 30 days...sure it was inconvenient, but I think I can trade convenience for deliciousness, particularly if I keep losing inches around my middle!

-A

Happy New Year everybody! Hope you all had an excellent holiday season. I went off track and felt worse for it. I am now going to start the new year by doing a whole30 again. Is anyone on here going to do the same? Whole30 November was successful thanks to all the lovely people on the forum ... I am going to begin a whole30 January forum if you like to join .... All my best wishes for a marvellous 2015

Archived