Prescript-Assist

Abby

I bought a bottle of Prescript-Assist on Chris Kresser's site because I have heard both Chris Kresser and Whole9 speak highly of it. However, I somehow stumbled across this article: http://wellnessmama.com/25300/what-is-fulvic-acid/ and the "word of caution" towards the bottom of the article freaked me out. I drink a lot of water...all of it unfiltered tap water. Yes, I know it isn't "good" for me per se, but better than soda, and I can't afford to get a fancy filtration system. That being said...do you think it is safe to take Prescipt-Assist with store bought filtered water? And even if I take the pills with the filtered water, will it cause me harm if I happen to drink tap water during the course of taking these probiotics, say even hours after I take the pill?

I'm tempted to just return the bottle because I don't know anything about this sort of stuff. I don't want to miss out on all the probiotic goodies, but I also don't want to invite any unnecessary cancer-causing agents by my own free will (chlorine + fulvic/humic acid).

Does anybody have any experience with this, or know more about it than I do? Thank you.

The filtration system you need is not fancy or expensive. I use a britta charcoal filter, for example, and it was cheap. I like wellness mama, but in this case she is sounding a little reactionary. Sure, there is stuff in tap water, but if it was common for tap water to combine with "familiar foods including soy, fruits, vegetables, tea, many health products, and even some vitamins" to form toxic substances, I think we would be hearing a lot more about it.

I'll defer to Dallas and Melissa for the ultimate Whole30 word on this; but I have not heard of any probiotics being prohibited due to drinking them with tap water on Whole30. Probiotics and water are recommended (separately and together, of course), but there is no specific information about types of water that are accepted and prohibited.

I do understand that some folks have concerns about the quality of tap water even in developed countries. Personally (as in, not with my moderator hat on, just me talking as my regular self), I feel more concerned about the number of people on the planet who have no regular access to water.

Drink your tap water and take your probiotics -and of course if someone higher up than me says differently I'll edit my post then.

(Editing already to add that Mary and I were writing at the same time)

• Moderators

I drink tap water without a filter all the time. Shame on the fearmongers who tell you there is meaningful danger from tap water. I take Prescription-Assist periodically. It is the only probiotic I have ever tolerated in pill form.

Thank you all for replying! It's one of those things...you want to be informed for the sake of your health, but you also don't want to fear every little thing  -_-

missmary - that was my thought, too! I read Wellness Mama's posts often but I've never been struck by an "alarmist" vibe up until then. And I agree that it would probably be a more publicized issue if it was true, my fear was just that maybe we don't know that much about it yet. 

AmyS - I agree with you...I'm thankful for the water we have to drink, even if it may not be pristine. 

Tom Denham - That is reassuring! Thank you!

Archived