how are diabetics doing on the Whole 30?

Hi, there I'm a type 2 diabetic and on the Whole 30 and on my 12th day!  I was wondering if there were other diabetics who are also trying this out?  And, if so, how are you doing?  I'd love to compare notes.

Hope to talk to you soon,

MJ

I'm diabetic and on Day 11.  I'm feeling great.  My fasting BS is between 95 and 110.  My doctor is going to be thrilled.  I have a lot more energy today than I have so far.  In fact, I've been cleaning my kitchen.  So far so good.  Although, even though I've been gluten-free for years, I would gladly kill for a pancake; and think the paleo version prohibition is a bit arbitrary.  That's my craving speaking, so feel free to ignore it.

Harriet

Hi there Harriet, I am Marie-Jeanne, a 60 year old retiree living in Europe, Belgium actually, and hope that our diabetic measures are the same.  My morning values are between 150 and 178.....  Which is already great, as my doctor put me on a new injection, this one just once a week, plus my evening injections of insulin.  I'm fairly stable at the moment so I'm happy.  

I stopped gluten, nearly completely, about a year ago.  The change was amazing but, my hubby is a cook and I'm just not equipped to resist all the tempting stuff he presents me with.....  Although, having said this, I AM RESISTING NOW!!!!  And he knows it, so he's been sort of eating like I am, which will do him a world of good too.   I also must admit that I used to eat a sweet (yes, I know, I'm diabetic...) after lunch and dinner.... Nothing major, just a piece of chocolate, but OMG, do I miss it!!!!!  So I crave sugar and anything resembling bread!!!

Nothing like you at all.....  When is the magic going to happen to me????  I just feel extremely tired all the time.  Today I was in a complete daze, I even hardly spoke, which for me is unusual.  

So, then, hope we can stay in touch and I am looking forward to hear from you, take care,

MJ

Harriet - they're not out forever, it's just the best way to get on track in 30 days :)

MJ - Maybe your talented hubby can create some new W30 creations for you! :)

Are you keeping a food log? If you're feeling tired all the time you might not be getting enough food, or enough starchy carbs.

Hi, my hubby isn't into all this at all!!!  he refuses to even hear the word "diet", he makes an effort though and for that, I'm grateful.  As to creating recipes, it's more I who have to have the inspiration.  I prepared the best chicken ever ever (recipe found in one of your daily emails and from the Clothes Make the Girl) for us and that he loved, so I will have to keep this up.  

And you are right, I'm not eating enough starch.  I added a potato to my lunch and will try to add one for dinner.  Except for sweet potato, what other starchy veg could I add?  As to portion size, I can not eat a lot at one go anymore.  My stomach shrunk a few years ago whilst I had an injection for my diabetes and that cut the appetite, sense of smell and of taste in half....  It helped me loose 20KG!!!  I've been off this injection for a while now, started new medication, at the same time as I started the program, and my body needs to adjust to both.   It will all work out I think and hope.  Thanks for the advice and support!  MJ

• Moderators

Except for sweet potato, what other starchy veg could I add? 

Beets, parsnips, plantains, jicama, winter squashes like acorn, butternut, spaghetti or kabocha squash, pumpkin

Also, you say you can't eat a lot at once anymore. If you need to have more than three meals to have enough food, that is okay, just make sure they're mini-meals with protein, fat, and veggies, not snacky meals with just fruit and nuts.

Hi Shannon, thanks so much for the info.  Will do and be more careful in future as to my mini meals.  I had not thought about pumpkin and the like, as we don't eat these often (or hardly at all)in winter.  The only thing we ate in winter was pumpkin soup, which we love but that was about it.  I shall have to get creative now with these veggies.  

The soup is real easy and so lovely, here, for info, the recipe : 2 pounds pumpkin, one big onion, 3 big carrots, one inch of ginger, grated, 2 liter stock (we have homemade now!), 1/2 liter coconut milk, seasoned with salt and chili powder.  Put pumpkin, carrots and onion in the oven at 180°C for about 20 min.  Once done, put them in a saucepan with the grated ginger, the stock, bring to the boil and boil gently for about 20 min. Pour in coconut milk and blend.  Season and serve.   It's soooo nice, really lovely, it's really really gooooood (and we made this even before we knew about the whole 30! and it is compliant!!!).  My hubby (who was so proud to know how to give me the recipe in English) wishes you all "Bon appetit"!!  

thanks again,

MJ

Archived