Whole 30 with G6PD?

Hey everyone!

I have looked through this whole forum to see if anyone had psoted anything about G6PD.  My husband and I have started the whole30 together and from the 2nd day on he has had headaches and hasnt felt great.  I am wondering if maybe he needs more carbs or something while doing the whole30?  Does anyone have any input? Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

Morning!  Congrats on undertaking Whole30!

I'll be honest, I have no idea what G6PD is, but I do know that headaches are extremely common in the first 1-10 days of the Whole30.  Depending on where you came from, consumption-wise, before you started Whole30, it can be quite the shake up to your body and hormones and that can cause headaches, mood swings, exhaustion etc.

As far as carbohydrates go, many people find that they feel better if they increase their starchy carbohydrates (eg, yam, sweet potato, rutabaga, carrots, beets) each day.  A fist sized portion or two a day is a nice start.  Whole30 inherently can be quite low carb and it doesn't necessarily have to be if you find that is affecting you or your husband negatively.

Drink lots of water (1/2 ounce per pound of bodyweight), take in some good starchy carbs, try to get lots of rest and ride it out as best you can, it does get better!

Hi ladyshanny!

G6PD is a glucose phosphate kind of imbalance that can cause anemia and certain foods, like legumes, trigger it.  Its and inherited trait so he has been legume free for a very long time.  He says he is feeling better today, than before so I hope he keeps improving.  I know the first couple days I was kind of like that, but I have felt great since then!  Thanks for the post ;)

It looks like G6PD raises the risk of diabetic ketoacidosis, so you might want to add starchy carbs to every meal, he should feel better by the end of the first week. The headaches can be withdrawal from things like caffeine and sugar.

Does he take any vitamin B supplements? They're recommended for high cellular turnover (I have MTHFR gene).

It looks like G6PD raises the risk of diabetic ketoacidosis, so you might want to add starchy carbs to every meal, he should feel better by the end of the first week. The headaches can be withdrawal from things like caffeine and sugar.

Does he take any vitamin B supplements? They're recommended for high cellular turnover (I have MTHFR gene).

Hi!

No he doesn't take any B supplements. He has been feeling a lot better, now he's just snacky lol. We've been having sweet potatoes with most meals and he eats more fruit than I do, so I think that has been helping him too. 

Archived