Chipotle?

perrybucsdad

Okay, so my wife and I are reading the book and looking to start our W30 mid January.  One thing that we look forward to each week is going out to Chipotle.  Now, I know beans, wraps, rice are out, but could I make a bowl with green peppers, onions, meat, and salsa (fresh mild)?  Thinking about it, it looks to be a really skimpy meal in my mind as the rice and beans aren't there, but I'm just trying to see if there is something I might be forgetting that I need to keep out.

I know I could ask for extra lettuce, peppers and onions, salsa, and if I want to pay for it, double meat... just not sure if that would hold me for 4 - 5 hours.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts?

EDIT: Please disregard... I realized I spelled Chipotle wrong when I did my search and didn't have any hits... now I see many threads on this, with this being a significant one.  Looks like I will have to seriously modify what I order if I do go there.  Not sure that will work.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/153-chipotle/page-3#entry214122

There is a boatload of past discussion on Chipotle on the forum.

To search whether something has been previously discussed, from Google, type Whole30 followed by whatever you're looking for.

Use this website as your guide for Chipotle ingredients: http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx  I advise checking back frequently at this or any restaurant site, as ingredients can change.

Currently, the only Whole30 compliant options are the carnitas, guacamole and non-corn salsas.  (the fajita vegetables are non-compliant, as they're cooked in rice bran oil)

Thanks Chris... I must have been modifying my post when you typed this up.

Let me ask this then... are there any restaurant's that are more friendly than others to the W30 diet?  I thought for sure Chipotle would have been one of them, but when I see the Rice Bran Oil all over their ingredients, that kills it mostly.  That's funny as I never even knew about Rice Bran Oil until this.  I would have thought vegetable or sunflower oil, but it must be a cheap oil and that's why they use it.

There is nothing really that I can think of in the fast (or fast-ish) food genre.  We don't eat out much when we do out Whole30 (I am on my 5th now). If we eat out we choose a sit down restaurant.  I prescreen all menus online before we select a restaurant. I like to start with restaurants that have gluten free options/menus as a starting point because that is one thing I won't have to worry about AND it tells me that the restaurant is aware of food sensitivities and allergies.

Try a google search on that includes "gluten free" and the name of your city or county.

Most restaurants are pretty good at catering to you.  You do get a "pass" on oils when eating out because you cannot control what the restaurant cooks with. You CAN control everything else by choosing a good restaurant and ordering wisely.

Hope this helps!

Lynne

What about what the meat may be marinated in? I ate out Mexican today. Steak fajitas and veggies. I asked for the to be made with no oil because they used vegetable oil. They came out really good looking as they were dry. I do assume there was a marinade though. I just had the meat and veggies over lettuce with fresh pico. Does this sound fairly compliant. They did almost seem steamed....

What about what the meat may be marinated in? I ate out Mexican today. Steak fajitas and veggies. I asked for the to be made with no oil because they used vegetable oil. They came out really good looking as they were dry. I do assume there was a marinade though. I just had the meat and veggies over lettuce with fresh pico. Does this sound fairly compliant. They did almost seem steamed....

If you don't have an ingredient list, you have to ask about marinades and sauces.  Otherwise you could get a non-compliant oil, soy sauce, or seasoning containing soy, gluten, or sugar, for example.

Dining out Mexican is tricky to do so in a Whole30-compliant way, primarily due to the cooking oils and seasonings.

I know! I'm a Director in a senior community and it's my first holiday here so it was a Director lunch and being new I just went along with the suggestion. I will just add several extra days to the end of the 30 as good measure for the few first "learning curve" days. Thanks for the input!

Archived