Golden beets

bonnynancy

My newest discovery:  golden beets

I saw some at the market and decided to try them.  Trimmed off the stems, peeled and quartered them, and roasted them on a foil-lined baking sheet (brushed with just a kiss of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt) at 400F (along with some peeled carrots) for -- I don't even know -- about 40 minutes until they were brown-edged and easy to pierce with a fork.

So delicious!  They taste like beets, but brighter, much less earthy.  Bonus:  my hands are still hand-colored.

• Administrators

I love golden beets when I can find them, their growing season seems really short. I sometimes can find them at Costco if I have my eyes open at the right time.

I never peel them, btw....I roast them at 350 until done and they come out caramelly and sweet and gorgeous and no mess (I don't peel the red ones either, just wipe them off, trim their hairy roots off, top and tail them and then chunk them up.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some this morning, and they were really fresh.  The stems were all nice and green and leafy and undamaged.  Usually I discard that part, but this time I washed them, trimmed them and cooked them up just like any other green.  They were delicious!

Archived