First Whole30

tylerjmccall

Hi Whole30 Crew!

This is my first go around. I'm really excited.

So, I've always struggled with my weight and food. I come from a large family (and I don't mean large like there's a lot of us...). My dad had gastric bypass surgery three years ago and is finally at a healthy weight, all of his brothers are overweight, and my brother is overweight, as well. I do NOT want to go down that path! I'm 26 years old and feel like I'm in my 60's most days - my body aches, my knees crack and pop, and I get winded if I have to take too many steps. I have high blood pressure and I also suffer from chronic migraines. All of that to say, Whole30 is definitely what I need right now!

I finished day 1 yesterday and it was a doozy. A couple of things...

- It was a crazy busy day at work for me.

- I don't think I ate enough.

- I ended the day with a horrible migraine.

Here's what I ate:

Breakfast

- 2 mini breakfast casseroles with eggs, ground pork, sweet potatoes, onion, and peppers

Snack

- handful of cashews and almonds

- clementine

Lunch

- 3 grilled chicken tenders

- roasted sweet potatoes

- steamed broccoli

Dinner

- greens with 3 chicken tenders, clementine, red wine vinaigrette 

Day 2

I upped my portions AND increased the amound of fat.

Breakfast

- Sweet potato and ground pork hash

- 3 eggs

- handful of cashews

Lunch

- salsa chicken (serving of pulled chicken sauteed with salsa)

- 1/2 avocado

- sauteed kale in coconut oil

- steamed carrots in coconut oil

Snack

- 1 banana

Dinner

- salad with red wine vinaigrette ended up not having a salad, just a big plate of the...

- zucchini noodles with crushed tomato meat sauce (filled with peppers, onions, and carrots)

Welcome to the program. I started to feel much less pain in my joints only after 10 days eating compliant food. It was amazing that first morning, to get up in bed, expecting the usual pain, and it was barely there. If you need to snack, try a protein instead of a fruit. It's what they recommend on this program anyways :)

Eventually, you won't need snacks.   I agree with Hutlifr, hide the cashews inbetween meals.   You  could up your eggs to about 4 or 5 instead of 3.   Two fruits aday is about max and you need those after your meals.    You'll get the hang of it, Tyler.    

I had 4 eggs aday for my 30 days.  I bet you would do well with 5.   You need some more roasted or cooked vegetables in the evening with your good fats. They'll help with satiety.   I always have cooked vege alongside the salad greens.  

Day 3

Ugh. I hate savory breakfast. I hate eggs. The thought of eating eggs this morning turned my stomach...but I did it...slow and steady.

Breakfast

- 3 eggs scrambled with...

- 1/4 asparagus

- 1/4 spinach

- 1 chopped grilled chicken tender

- 1 banana

SO HUNGRY! I need to eat more!

Snack

- cashews and almonds

Lunch

- last night's dinner leftovers - zoodles with meat sauce

Dinner

- mexican pulled pork from the slow cooker

- 1/2 avocado

- pan-fried plantains

Good one.   I was thinking about you this morning, Tyler.  You do have to eat more at your meals.   We're here for you.  Have you roasted up a big batch of mixed vege on a large baking sheet yet?   That will help you.    Fill up your quart zippies and reheat with your eggs or other proteins.  Variety is great.

Wash, chop, spread on your sheet - top with your compliant good fat of choice and roast at 400 degrees until your preferred level of al dente, etc.  Add fresh herbs to the mix or make up your own spice mixture.   The pre-made kinds in the store often have non-compliant additives, making your own dry spice blends are the safer way to go.   I reuse empty spice bottles and relabel  them with my blends.   I've also learned how to make Balsamic Reductions with citrus (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit - fresh fruits only with the added zest from all citrus).    I add the zest of citrus to everything under the sun.   For those Balsamic Reductions you can use fresh berries like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and huckleberries (rare indeed).   I had a Balsamic Reduction with pulled pork yesterday.   Do you like coleslaw, vinegary coleslaw.   Tart citrus and vinegary goodness really nip cravings for sugar in the bud.

Do you drink tea or coffee?   I add orange zest to my ground coffee before I brew or my tea.   I also add all kinds of things to that ground coffee before brewing - cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, ginger, orange zest  - I even add black & red pepper.  Mixing it all up and tasting every compliant favor you can think of will prevent food boredom.   Then there are the recipes.   You don't have to overwhelm yourself....make one and keep a little file for the ones that suit your palate.

Well, I skipped the food log for a few days. But, I have been eating only compliant items!

I did have a luncheon yesterday and was nervous about the menu. I went with a colleague who is also doing Whole30 and we both ate the same thing - a big plate of greens with grilled chicken and sauteed green beans. Not sure if there were any non-compliant ingredients; but, we did our best! We skipped the vinaigrette because the staff said it had honey in it. We also skipped the mashed potatoes, mayonnaise-filled cole slaw, bread, and the whole dessert table!

I bought a blender today - so I'm excited about making some homemade mayo and ketchup this weekend.

I'm off work tomorrow so I'm going to spend a good chunk of the day prepping food - a slow cooker meal, roasting veggies, prechopping fruit and veg for the week, and we're making a big breakfast with homemade sausage, eggs, bacon, and fresh fruit.

I've got this thing!

Alright, failing at the food log. Oh well.

I'm doing great! Eating only approved foods and loving it.

I did weigh this week (I'm doing a weight loss challenge at work) and I've lost 13 pounds in the first week! 13 pounds!!!

My heartburn is also gone - I used to take medicine for indigestion every day; but, I haven't had any in three days and feel great.

Archived