Newbie - started August 20th

lexibelle5110

Hey all. My husband and I started our first Whole30 this week and we're currently on day 4.

I'm 31, severely overweight and have PCOS - such a fun combination. Doctors always tell me to treat the PCOS by losing weight but traditional methods just don't work. I know diet has a huge effect on my PCOS, so I've been slowly working towards eating cleaner but it was hard for a myriad of reasons. I finally realized that I need to go all or nothing when it comes to food, otherwise I'll just find a new bad food to replace the one I've eliminated. A friend of mine has been eating more and more Paleo and it intrigued me so I started to do some research and I found this website. I've been reading the forums for weeks now, prepping and convincing my husband that this'll do us both good (he needs to get healthy too) and we finally took the plunge when we had the money to stock up on the basics.

I'm really excited to see where this journey takes me and I'm hoping it's putting us both on a path to have a healthier relationship with food, set a good example for our son and ultimately make it possible to give him a sibling. :)

Thanks :) I've got to admit that making the decision was pretty scary. It's not giving up the foods that was terrifying, it's wondering whether or not my husband and I can stick to it, whether he or someone else will sabotage us and the fear of failure. There've been some naysayers, but if anything they've just added to my determination to show them that not only is it possible, but the benefits are worth it.

I started on August 20th, too! Hope your journey is a good one! (Funny the sense of kinship I feel just because we started on the same day....)

From your initial post, I am guess that you feel like there is potentially a lot riding on the success of your Whole30. I want to encourage you to stick to your guns in pursuit of those big enormous transcendent goals. But I also want to mention something which is for me, a real attitude shift and might possibly be useful to you. I offer this with sincere respect for the fact that I know nothing about you and am in no position to offer advice, and with the hope that it might help anyway.

I am treating this Whole30 for myself NOT as a diet, but as an experiment. This is not a diet, at which I could fail -- as I have always, always done, eventually, in the past.

This is an experiment: I am seeing how and to what extent this plan succeeds at reaching my goals: specifically, since I was more or less paleo before, I am curious about what giving up wine and dairy means to how I feel in my body, and how I think my body looks.

This approach is not a way to let myself off the hook, mind you: the idea of the experiment actually reinforces my determination. Because while the words cheating and diet go together like, oh, I don't know, wine and cheese (for instance!), the words cheating and experiment do not, in my head.

Anyway, however you do it, I wish you great success on your Whole30! :)

Archived