Be the Change!!! - My W30 - Start August 25, 2012

djoyce

Day 24

Well... another good day. Off to work, lunchtime BodyPump class workout and good food.

I attended my normal Monday, lunchtime BodyPump workout at my gym. It is always a good workout and I feel spent when it is done.

I ate on plan again today. I also picked up my meat order at the butcher's today. Something to be said about bringing home 60 Lbs of meat and knowing that it is locally grown and pasture fed. It is a mix of beef, pork and chicken. Good stuff!

Also, I forgot to note yesterday that when I cleaned my closet, I cleared out 2 garbage bags of clothes and donated them on Sunday. Some were because of losing weight over the last 2-3 months and some because of "what was I thinking" when I bought this?

Meals Today:

M1 - Scrambled eggs (3), veggies, salsa and coffee

M2 - Snack - Pistachio nuts

M3 - Can of tuna with Paleo mayo, Big salad with balsamic / EVOO, 1 cup of strawberries, coffee

M4 - Pork chop and big spinach salad with balsamic / EVOO

M5 - Snack - Pistachio nuts

Calories were 1918, with carbs of 83G, fat of 128G and protein of 116G.

Cheers

DJ

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 25

Well today was my first day "on the road" with 6 hours of driving for a 3 hour meeting. Not the best use of my time but chair dancing while driving is a workout - right!!!

I was thinking ahead and packed a good lunch with some snacks that could be consumed while driving (conscious eating ... no not that mindless stuff Melissa and Dallas are not fans of...). My only downfall on the day was that I forgot I would likely be back home mid evening and did not pack a dinner option!

My meeting ended a little early and I had hoped on hitting a local orchard (sell honey-crisp apples - my absolute favorite fall food). I did not make it in time but it got me on the road early. I ended up going home to make a dinner before returning the work car to work and getting home to stay. Not a big mistake but not my best planning. I did stop at the roadside stop where they sell boiled eggs for a meal-snack but they were sold out. Maybe there are other W30 travelers too!!!

No workout today as I chose a little extra sleep with a long day ahead.

Meals Today:

M1 - Scrambled eggs (3), Prosciutto, salsa and coffee

M2 - Snack - Natural Almonds

M3 - Pork chop leftovers, Big salad with balsamic / EVOO, 1 cup of red grapes

M4 - Lamb chops (3 small) and big spinach salad with balsamic / EVOO

M5 - Snack - Pistachio nuts

Calories were 1804, with carbs of 88G, fat of 110G and protein of 118G.

Off to bed and another day... I am leading a group in a boot camp class tomorrow... wish me luck!

Cheers

DJ

Day 26

Today was a good day again. I did the normal morning routine and was off to work. Over lunch I orgainized a Cardio Interval Training session for me and three co-workers. I found an app for my BlackBerry Playbook that beeps on timed intervals and we did 36 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training, plus a warm up and cool down.

My co-workers seemed to like the session and we all sweat a lot. This session replaces my former Thursday "athletic training" course that was canceled by my gym. Looks like I am organizing it now. Worked pretty well.

Dinner was the free range chicken breasts from my meat order this weekend. Cooked well on the BBQ and, all and all, pretty happy!

One big thing today stemmed from my closet clean out over the weekend. While cleaning my clothes, I found my old (from 2009) goal pants. I could not fit into them back in 2009 and I kept them as an eventual goal. Well today was Goal Pants Day. I wore the old goal pants today. This is progress!

Meals Today:

M1 - Scrambled eggs (3),onions/peppers, salsa and coffee

M2 - Snack - Natural Almonds, apple

M3 - Salmon Salad with paleo mayo, salad with Balsamic/EVOO, whole avocado, red grapes (cup)

M4 - Chicken Breast on BBQ, sweet potato fries (homemade/baked), Coffee

Calories were 2050, with carbs of 145G, fat of 113G and protein of 123G.

Cheers

DJ

Day 27

Well it was a reasonable day. I did not workout today. I was sore from yesterday's workout and I just felt like the body needed a rest.

I ate on plan today and got 7 hours (6:54 actually) of sleep last night - pretty good for me. The highlight was listening to Dallas and Melissa on the Stealth Body interview/pod-cast. I am impressed how well they represent. Interesting and entertaining.

Meals Today:

M1 - Scrambled eggs (3),salsa and coffee

M2 - Snack - Natural Almonds, apple

M3 - Chicken Breast leftovers, salad with Balsamic/EVOO, red grapes (cup), coffee

M4 - Pastured Beef Sirloin Steak, Lettuce-less salad, Balsamic/EV Avocado oil, Coffee

Calories were 1933, with carbs of 105G, fat of 108G and protein of 141G.

Had to make another batch of Paleo Mayo today (with my daughter). Good times.

Cheers

DJ

Day 28

Well my last workday on the W30 literally speaking. It was a good day and I am focused on finishing strong and very interested to evaluate my changes. I have to admit that I am curious to hop on the scale. I was tempted this AM but resisted.

I came home at lunch to do my Insanity workout. I really did not want to do it today but decided to push myself a bit and "get-r-done".

I took out 2 lbs of the pasture fed beef - ground chuck this morning and made 10 minute chili when I got home. It was very good. I had two big bowls. I seasoned it kind of light (kid friendly) but added hot sauce to mine. Pretty tasty. Chili was just what I needed today!

I kind of feel like my W30 blog is a little bit boring and lame but I have settled into a happy and comfortable routine with my eating, working out and living life. I have not faced huge troubles or frustrations during my W30. I have, like a worker bee rolled up my selves and got it done each day. No real drama and no real issues.

Today my wife noted that she was down over 8 lbs too but I am not sure the time-frame. This is a great side effect of her doing a W30 Light. She was pretty happy with this admission today!

Meals Today:

M1 - Scrambled eggs with onion/zucchini (3), salsa and coffee

M2 - Snack - Natural Almonds

M3 - Chicken Breast leftovers, salad with Balsamic/EVOO, granny smith apple, coffee

M4 - Pastured Beef 10 minute chili (2 healthy servings)

Calories were 1662, with carbs of 67G, fat of 93G and protein of 137G.

Picked up free range eggs collected from local farmers at my local butcher shop. Interested to see how they are tomorrow AM for breakfast.

Cheers

DJ

Day 29

Thanks for the support Derval...

We had a lazy day at the house. My wife and son are sick. It was pajama day and Dad (me) was the only one who got out today. I did a bit of shopping including my Starbuck Cafe Americano (black of course), plus I went to the local bakery for Quiche (has crust so not for Dad) and treats, plus a quick stop for tea and lemonade for my wife and son.

I got up some energy and cleaned, vacuumed and organized my workout room in the basement. My wife is planning on doing a program with me starting in a week or two so I had to make some more room and re-organize a bit. It should be interesting because we have never really done a home program before together. Looking forward to it!

Tomorrow is Day 30. WOW. I am both happy and amazed that it has almost come and gone. It has been a journey but not too hard. I will have to put on my thinking cap and decide what to jot down for my Wrap Up report! Today I really did (for the first time) feel like a dessert would be nice. Not a full blown craving... more like a passing though. There was no way it was happening on day 29 but it was nice to think about it. I do feel that I will just continue this thing (maybe with some weighing ability) for another 30 days or so.

Meals Today:

M1 - Omelet (3 eggs) with onion/peppers/prosciutto, salsa and coffee

M2 - Ten Minute Chili leftovers

M3 - Bison burgers (2) with mustard and W30 ketchup, Salad with balsamic/EV avocado oil, Olives

M4 - Snack - Olives, prosciutto, almonds

Calories were 1822, with carbs of 42G, fat of 121G and protein of 141G.

Cheers

DJ

Day 30

Well, well, well... Thirty days ago, about this time, I was double checking my plan for the next day, making sure my lunch was compliant and trying to determine if there was anything I wanted to eat with my last rights before the W30 started. I ended up having a piece of cheese (at 11:50 PM on Friday August 24). Since then, I have 100% been W30 compliant and I see I have about 30 minutes left on day 30.

I am pretty darn happy. I will complete an "After Action Report" tomorrow and I truly hope I find some eloquent way to tell my story, compel others to do this process and share a few gems of my lessons learned. I am happy that I finished. I will continue. My lunch is packed for tomorrow (W30 complaint, like the last 30 days). I have the camera/tape measure ready for the AM and I look forward to hoping on the scale.

With a couple of people sick in my house, we had a pretty lazy weekend. With Monday comes a new week and I don't think I will be taking off the training wheels anytime too soon!

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 boiled eggs with ghee, prosciutto (5 slices)

M2 - Black cafe Americano Venti

M3 - 4 turkey hot Italian sausage, 12 olives, salad with balsamic/EV avocado oil

M4 - Snack - Pistachio nuts

Calories were 1622, with carbs of 50G, fat of 110G and protein of 113G.

Cheers

DJ

W30 – DJ's After Action Report

Well it has been a journey. I think my W30 challenge has been fairly simple and without too much hardship. When I eat primal-like, I have very little cravings or desire to eat off plan. I only had really one day of bad headache (on day 2) and I don't think I tried or even wanted to kill anything. You could ask my wife to verify my crankiness level.

I really, really enjoyed the food. For me, the only really different part was giving up my sweetener and cream in my coffee, giving up my yogurt, giving up any cheese and giving up my morning post-workout smoothie.

Of all of these changes, I was most anxious about how I would enjoy black coffee. It did take a bit of “getting used to†but I am undecided about going back to a sweetener and cream. Today is day 31 for me and I am currently drinking my “black†café Americano and enjoying it.

With my focus on nutrition, my wife has also made some changes (W30 light) if you will and she has lost some weight (I believe 9 lbs). This was a great side effect of my program. I am very happy for her and her efforts to make positive improvements in her health and fitness.

This way of eating has had minimal disruption to my life and, with a little planning, worked out pretty darn well.

I decided pretty early that if I am going to do this thing, I need to embrace some changes and diversity in my nutrition. Over the course of my challenge, I introduced a number of ingredients I would never have used (almond meal, coconut flour, coconut aminos), I tried a number of dishes I would likely not have made (Paleo Meatloaf, boiled beets, Paleo Mayo and I tried to stick to 3 main meals a day with a snack on days when I worked out (or when I really needed something else).

I kept track of my calories, carbs, fat and protein intake each day. It was pretty interesting that most days I was right around 60% of my calories from fat. This number is alarming to people that subscribe to the USA / Canada Food pyramid paradigm but I felt pretty comfortable eating this way.

Well onto my physical changes:

Over the course of the 30 days, I lost 12.6 Lbs. In my chest, waist and hips, I lost a total of 7.5 inches. My measurements show that I actually lost just over 14 lbs of fat and gained 1.7 lbs of muscle (worked out pretty hard for the 30 days). My calculations show a loss of 4% body fat over the 30 days.

w30djstatssummary.jpg

Here are before and after photos over my W30 period:

w30front.jpg

w30side.jpg

w30back.jpg

Considering all the positives to eating this way and no real negatives, I do not intend to make any major changes or re-introductions in the near future. In three weeks (October 6-8th) it is our Canadian Thanksgiving. I need to decide if I will be following W30 over this family holiday or not. If not, I will need to re-introduce some foods before to be able to measure my response to off-plan food. Thanksgiving diner is not a good place to first decide to deviate from W30.

I am waiting for my new home-based workout programs to arrive and I have a freezer full of pasture fed, non hormone/antibiotics meat. I am in this process for the long haul and I really look forward to further positive changes, in my future.

I am thankful for coming across this website, thankful for taking the time to read the book (It Starts With Food) and I am thankful for this W30 process. Melissa and Dallas, plus their team, are providing a really good program and I appreciate the n=1 insight I received over the 30 days and look forward to benefiting from the lessons learned for the rest of my life.

Cheers

DJ

Day 31

And this continues. Today was a hard day, actually. I felt just because the W30 calendar (for me) said day 31, that I had some sense of freedom or reason to go off program. Who am I kidding. I have lots more work to do and this WOL makes sustained, healthy weight loss easier for me. Why deviate? Why experiment? Why sabotage?

As such, I stayed the course. For the first time in a long while, I had not really cravings but desires at least (the salmon and broccoli test was not needed) for some Nutella as I made my daughter's lunch tonight. I did not give in but it did smell really good. So much of this thing is mental, for me. All because of a "Day 31" label, I start to feel tempted (when I had not been previously).

Today was a good BodyPump class at my gym during lunchtime. Pushed pretty hard today! Food was on plan and I enjoyed putting together my "After Action Report". I will update in a bit with my food and calories for the day!

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 boiled eggs with ghee, Coffee

M2 - Ten Minute Chili, Big salad with EVOO/Balsamic, apple

M3 - Halibut fish the eggwash and Almond flour, Homemade Sweet Potato Fries with EVOO

M4 - Snack - Pistachio nuts

Calories were 1696, with carbs of 104G, fat of 101G and protein of 98G.

Cheers

DJ

Day 32

Today was a good day. I woke up (but not early enough to workout), got ready, prepared breakfast and was on the road. On the way into work the car made another noise that did not sound good (breaks/suspension sound). I took it right to the shop (after Starbucks) and they took me off to work.

No real events today but the car repairs came back at $616. Ouch. Oh well, being a one car family, when the one car needs repairs, there is no real other option.

Food was good today and on plan!

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 scrambled eggs with veggies, ghee, raspberries and Coffee

M2 - Halibut with Sweet Potato fries (leftovers), Big salad with EVOO/Balsamic, apple

M3 - Chicken breast with tomato sauce, Acorn Squash (ghee and garlic), salad with EVOO/Balsamic

Calories were 1584, with carbs of 114G, fat of 72G and protein of 119G.

Cheers

DJ

Day 33

Well I did my kick butt - boot camp / Athletic Training workout Wednesday at lunch and it was a big sweat!!! I ate on plan and was feeling pretty good until late in the day when I was feeling twinges of a cold. Looks like living with two sick people for a week (wife and son) has caught up with me. Not to bad yet but you never know how bad it will get.

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 scrambled eggs with veggies, ghee, banana and Coffee

M2 - Chicken breast leftovers, Big salad with EVOO/Balsamic, apple

M3 - Pork pot roast, cooked carrots/sweet potato, salad with EVOO/Balsamic, coffee

Calories were 1711, with carbs of 142G, fat of 77G and protein of 118G.

Cheers

DJ

Day 34

Well another good day. I am a little sick - cold - so no workout today. Woke up this AM and hoped on the scale. I was 5 lbs down from Monday AM. Monday was the end of my W30. This baffles me. I lost 12.6 lbs over 30 day and in just over 4 days, I have lost an additional 5 lbs.

I am not complaining but it is interesting. I am having a little less calories - mainly cutting out nuts because we have been out of both almonds and pistachio nuts for most of the week. I am eating a bit less but also working out less while I fight off this cold. This means I am down a total of 32 Lbs since July 9, 2012 (when I re-focused my paleo-eating and exercises (with W30 since August 25)).

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 scrambled eggs with salsa, ghee, banana and Coffee

M2 - Pot roast leftovers (with cooked carrots), Big salad with EVOO/Balsamic, apple, Coffee

M3 - Bison burgers with mustard and ketchup (W30 compliant), 12 olives, Coffee

Calories were 1366, with carbs of 70G, fat of 69G and protein of 118G.

Cheers

DJ

Day 35

I had a pretty good day. Again, no workout because of my lingering cold. I ate on plan and felt pretty good.

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 scrambled eggs with salsa, ghee, banana and Coffee

M2 - Salmon Salad with paleo mayo, Big salad with EVOO/Balsamic, apple, Larabar, pistachios, Coffee

M3 - 2 pork chops, salad with EVOO/Balsamic.

Calories were 1892, with carbs of 82G, fat of 113G and protein of 138G.

I went to bed early (and got 9 hours, 47 minutes of sleep - yeah me!)

Cheers

DJ

Day 36

Today was likely my worst day in a long time. I did not want to eat well (W30). I did not want to do anything (workout, go out). I did not achieve much.

Now I did eat on plan despite these challenges (win). I managed to fight the desire to "eat junk" and I did fight the "I feel like I am dieting" feeling that overwhelmed me for parts of today.

I will do better tomorrow!

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 scrambled eggs with veggies/salsa, ghee, 1/2 honeydew melon and Coffee

M2 - Pork chops (2), Spinach salad with EVOO/Balsamic, apple, Larabar Cashew

M3 - Chicken, avocado and Boiled Egg on salad with paleo mayo dressing, apple, coffee

M4 - Snack - Larabar - apple.

Calories were 2375, with carbs of 172G, fat of 125G and protein of 149G.

Cheers

DJ

Day 37

Sunday was a case of having lose structure to the day affecting the amount of food I ate. I was pretty low on calories for the day. No workout with my normal Sunday off. I had a morning version of egg salad for breakfast which was a different meal 1.

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 hard boiled eggs with cucumber, peppers, onion and Paleo mayo, plus a honeycrisp apple (my favorite)

M2 - Larabar - apple, Coffee

M3 - Snack - Red Grapes

M4 - Broiled eggplant and ground pork stacks with tomato sauce, brussel sprouts, salad with EVOO/Balsamic

Calories were 1370 with carbs of 135G, fat of 68G and protein of 67G.

Day 38

On Monday, I started a new morning program and for the first time, working out on a program with my wife (at 5:30 AM). I had my first deviation being a whey protein smoothie with mixed berries and ice. It was not that good but a nice change from my egg-focused M1. Eggs were on the menu in M2.

We ended the day with local sirloin steaks from pasture raised beef on the BBQ.

Meals Today:

M1 - Post Workout - Whey Protein and Berries, Coffee

M2 - Scrambled Eggs, Veggies and red grapes

M3 - Chicken Breast, Prosciutto, spinach salad with EVOO/Balsamic, apple, Coffee

M4 - Sirloin Steak with homemade sweet potato fries and bell peppers

Calories were 1968, with carbs of 146G, fat of 84G and protein of 161G.

Day 39

Today was a pretty good day. Up at 5:30 AM for my workout. Pushed myself pretty hard. Eating was on plan today with one little deviation as I had one piece of gum this morning.

I was very hungry late in the day today.

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 hard boiled eggs with cucumber, onion and Paleo mayo, Coffee

M2 - Snack - Pistachio nuts

M3 - Steak Leftovers, big salad with EVOO/Balsamic, apple, Coffee

M4 - Steak Leftovers on salad with EVOO/Balsamic, apple

M5 - Snack - Pistachio Nuts - olives (12).

Calories were 1754, with carbs of 96G, fat of 105G and protein of 114G.

Cheers

DJ

Day 39

Today was a good day. I pushed myself pretty hard today with two workouts (AM and Lunchtime) and healthy eating. I did forget to bring enough food to work today and had to break into my Whey Protein Isolate for a pre-workout snack (Whey, water and ice, mixed with my NutraBullet). Otherwise, it was a good day. So far, some whey and one piece of gum (sugarless) are my only re-introductions since my W30 ended.

Feeling good and enjoying life.

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 eggs scrambled with clarified butter and salsa, Coffee

M2 - Snack - Whey protein shake (water and ice) - pre-workout

M3 - Steak and ground beef leftovers, big salad with EVOO/Balsamic, apple, Coffee

M4 - Ground beef, egg and prosciutto on salad with EVOO/Balsamic

M5 - Snack - Almonds and honeycrisp apple

Calories were 1796, with carbs of 77G, fat of 100G and protein of 145G.

Cheers

DJ

Day 40

Well today was a good day. No workout today (which was planned) and this is OK because I was sore from yesterday's double workout. I went to a new store (Farm Boy) to check it out for food supplies. I had hoped it would be a W30 gold mine (W30 bacon as the big nugget) but to no avail. I cannot find any W30 compliant bacon here in Kingston - no worries but it would be nice.

This weekend is our Canadian Thanksgiving. Should be interesting. We are visiting family (my parents) and I plan on doing my best to stay W30 at the family dinner table. This will be the most out of control (not cooking and nowhere near home base for two days) since I started W30.

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 eggs boiled, apple, coffee

M2 - Prosciutto on salad, EVOO/Balsamic dressing, Larabar Coconut, apple, coffee

M3 - Snack - Natural Almonds

M4 - Pork Sausage, salad with EVOO/Balsamic

Calories were 1591, with carbs of 103G, fat of 87G and protein of 101G.

Cheers

DJ

Day 41

This was a good day. It was the Friday before a long weekend (Thanksgiving here in Canada). Easy, issue free day at work. No issues.

Good workout yesterday AM with my wife. I ate on plan and had dinner out (first meal I did not make in 40 days) at my In-Laws. I did provide the roast (a grass feed, local raise beef roast), asked for no canola oil to be used, brought my own dressing for the salad and brought my own homemade (baked) sweet potato fries.

This was just an introduction to this weekend. We leave in in the next 1-2 hours to go to Toronto to my Mom's. We are staying the night and then off to my Dad's for Thanksgiving dinner. Each location has it's challenges. My mom does not cook. She eats out almost every night so this weekend will be my first dinner out since I started W30.

I am making boiled eggs for the trip - tomorrow AM. At my Dad's it will be a typical Thanksgiving feast with turkey, ham, stuffing, corn, potato, and salad. As I have not re-introduced foods, I am going to try to make it through this family weekend on the road as W30 complaint as possible.

Should be interesting.

Meals Today:

M1 - 3 eggs veggies scramble, salsa, coffee

M2 - Prosciutto/boiled egg (2) on salad, EVOO/Balsamic dressing, apple. almonds, coffee

M3 - Roast Beef, Broccoli, carrots, sweet potato with EVOO, salad with EVOO/Balsamic

M4 - Snack - Natural Almonds

Calories were 1747, with carbs of 69G, fat of 110G and protein of 118G.

Cheers

DJ

Archived