My third, his first

Mads

Hi everyone!  I'm really excited for my Whole30 starting Tuesday. It's my third, and I NEED it this time. My eating has been TERRIBLE, my exercise habits have been even worse, and I can't wait for this re-set. I'm also excited because this time, my husband is doing it with me!

But I could use some advice. I tend to lose weight on my W30s, and I need that this time (I'm 5'8" and I don't know my weight... probably 195ish? I'm afraid to look). My husband, on the other hand, does NOT need to lose any. He's 6'2" and 160lbs -- a total bean pole. He eats like he's hollow but cannot put on weight... so I'm worried that he might lose weight too. Should I make any tweaks to his meals to ensure he maintains his weight? Should he eat more snacks?

Any advice on that front is very appreciated. In the meantime, I'm glad to be back on the boards and paleo living!

Also, remember that his portions are according to his size - his palm, his thumb. You can make sure he understands this and eats at the higher end of the template - two palms of protein, two or more thumbs of fat, at least four cups of veggies. Also, remind him that we don't want him going hungry, so he can add a fourth, fifth, or even sixth complete or mini meal every day. Some of our male posters report needing up to six meals a day when first starting a Whole30, and then eventually leveling off to three over a longish period of time.

Basically, he should eat. Lots. Every day.

Oh yeah, I finished them both -- even when I had to go on a last-minute 4-day business trip and had almost no control over what I ate.

My main advice is plan ahead. Think in advance about what kinds of things will get in the way of your success -- office parties? Late meetings? Picky family members? Getting hungry way earlier than you thought? Think about all the variables and figure out what you'll do about them. I have a few super-fast meals that I can cook in about 15 minutes that are my go-to if I worked late; I keep a few noncompliant foods that I know my daughter will eat (and that don't tempt me!) around for when I cook something she's not into (she's 15 months -- I don't expect her to eat kale); I keep a variety of herbal teas on hand to tame my night-time sugar demon, etc.

I also kept a journal during the first one, recording everything I ate (NOT calories) and just talking out how I felt. That was really important for me to understand what I was doing and how it impacted me, and it also gave me a chance to look on the bright side. Now that I'm working a crazier job and raising a child, that's not really a priority for me... but it was hugely helpful that first time!

Archived