February 1st

Stargazer93

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband and I are starting our first Whole30 on the 1st, by default our 2.5 year old halfling will be participating too.  I'm anxious about a lot of things but trusting my desire for a change to surpass it all. Trying get a feel for the forum and searching for recipies.  Will start prepping on Friday this week.  Glad to be with others experiencing the same things as I am.  

Feb 1 starter here as well.  Not my first rodeo.

I have compliant stuff in the freezer.  Spicy tuna patties from Nom Nom Paleo, compliant bacon, compliant vegetable soup.  Going to make a batch of chocolate chili this weekend I think --- or possibly the gyoza flavored meatballs from Well Fed.  Those are great for packing in my lunch.

Hello :) 

I'm also starting on February 1st, first time. I read the book, ordered my shopping that should arrive over the weekend and I can't wait to start.

I've been low carb for 2 years now, so the tricky part will be "no cheese, no cream and no bacon", but I'll do it!

Good luck everyone!

Hi all!! This is my first Whole 30. I have been reading the book and doing research on this plan. I already consider myself a pretty good eater, but I want to be more educated on food and what's in it. I hope I to learn more about what I am putting in my mouth and to help me perform my best in my running. Good luck everyone!!

I posted earlier about starting February 1st, but I'm really nervous about it! There are so many temptations and, like other people here, my husband will probably think this is more of a fad than anything. I'm nervous that I'm going to cave early on. We don't have much junk in the house to begin with, but I think that my kids are allowed treats (very limited since they eat most meals at daycare anyway) and that my husband is allowed his cereal if he wants, but I'm going to need to have the willpower to stay away from them.

• Administrators

I posted earlier about starting February 1st, but I'm really nervous about it! There are so many temptations and, like other people here, my husband will probably think this is more of a fad than anything. I'm nervous that I'm going to cave early on. We don't have much junk in the house to begin with, but I think that my kids are allowed treats (very limited since they eat most meals at daycare anyway) and that my husband is allowed his cereal if he wants, but I'm going to need to have the willpower to stay away from them.

Your best defence against staying away from non compliant treatsy foods is to eat enough at your meals including fat, starchy veggies where needed, sufficient other non starchies and protein. Not eating enough opens that "negotiation door" in your brain and lets in ideas that shouldn't be there.  

Starting February 1! Making my shopping list now and will be prepping meals for the week on Sunday. I live in a small studio apartment in the city, so I'm unable to buy in bulk and freeze, so I will have to meal prep every week, maybe even twice a week. My cousin has been doing Whole30 since last May and feels/looks amazing so it inspired me to try. I've lost 20lbs since moving to Philadelphia in September just from the sheer amount of walking I do, but I didn't really change my eating habits. Time to incorporate better food choices and this seems like a manageable way to do so without slipping into any of the "fad" diets. Excited to get started and share this experience with you all!

Hi, I'm starting my first Whole 30 (why are people doing more than 1?). Long Story, short--I have suffered from random symptoms and had blood work done. I have not developed any disease, but some of my lab result were concerning--one result said I was malnourished! Also Grave disease runs in my family, and it was shared with me that some of my symptoms they had experienced for years prior to developing disease. So basically, I am preventing disease and also trying to eradicate pain-in-the-arse symptoms like fatigue and brain fog.

I've done some research on leaky gut and adrenal fatigue, and that led me here. This was the easiest way to go about an elimination diet in terms or support & community. I look forward to reading up on your stories and supporting each other through this!.

Let's eat, drink, & be merry!

Hi All!  I'm starting my first W30 on Feb 1.  Don't have my meals planned yet, but it's slowly coming together.  My doctors have been trying to convince me to go paleo for a while, so what better way to start than cold turkey on sugar!

YoU HAVE AN AWESOME DOCTOR. I wish mine was that informed. I had to research myself.

Hello..I am totally new here. I just finished reading "It Starts With Food". I am beginning my first Whole30 on February 1st. I admit I am very scared as well as excited. I have always been overweight, and am definitely insulin resistant at this point in my life..and so I see this as a lifestyle change I need to make not only for myself, but for my three young children as well.

I am afraid to fail..it all seems so daunting, but I know I have to do something and it has to be more than attempting another diet

I have started meal planning, and am doing some initial shopping for the essentials tomorrow. I'd love to chat with others and I am sure I will have tons of questions.

I'm looking forward to it now ;) I've been whole30 this week but am planning the real thing starting Saturday afternoon the minute I step off that train in my home village...

I'll be quaffing champers and eating it up on Saturday night in a lovely london restaurant in a foodie swansong without guilt though...I've already perused the pudding menu!!

I'm really excited to start on Sunday. I was supposed to go to a farmers market for fresh meats and veggies, but it already started snowing here so I'm running to the local grocery store on my lunch break to make sure the house is stocked just in case. At least a snowy day will be nice for some meal prep this weekend!

** Edited after my grocery store trip.... easier than I thought because after I got the veggies and meat there wasn't much else to get! Howeve,r the few canned goods surprised me when I was label checking. The diced tomatoes I've always gotten had sugar in them, I never even thought to look for something like that. It looks like I'm set-up at least for this weekend and the beginning of next week :)

• Administrators

Do i need to buy the package? or just google and forums will be enough for recipe and ideas?

Moseka, please do not post the same question across different threads.

I answered your question here:  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25005-first-whole-30-february-1st/?p=263345

Hi Everyone -

I'm starting on 2/2, mainly because of a Super Bowl party I'm going to on Sunday :)

I'm pretty excited but a little nervious. I'm a working mom and there will be a lot of prep and cooking that will be challenging with a toddler who hasn't seen me all day. But I've done my shopping, printed out a bunch of recipes and even made a sample meal the other night that was semi-well received by the family.

I'm going to attempt my first batch of home made mayo tonight which should be fun.

I come from about 10 years of a low carb/good carb style diet, South Beach/Atkins combo you could say. So a lot of this will come easy for me, but the no dairy and no legumes will be challenging. I tried my coffee with coconut milk and it was pretty good which is a relief.

Looking forward to starting with everyone soon!

Hi everyone,

I am starting my first Whole30 on February 1 too - although I'm in Australia, so that's Jan 31 for most people on here! 

About to start my fridge and pantry clear out, and head to the market to stock up. 

One thing I'm struggling with a little - I was surprised to find that my mustard (Dijon) and vinegars (Balsamic and Verjuice) which I use to make salad dressing all have sulfites in them, and sometimes say "naturally occurring sulfites". I know most vinegar is listed as ok for Whole30 - hopefully this means I'll find a non-sulfite vinegar somewhere... otherwise I guess it's homemade mayo instead!

Good luck everyone!  :)

I hope you guys won't mind me joining your group!

I am doing my first Whole30 and am a huge sugar/carb junkie. I have Hashimotos and PCOS, so I'm hoping to find relief from some of the systems that I've been struggling with. 

My biggest struggle will be my husband who eats junk food and Mt. Dew all day long!

I've meal planned and will go grocery shopping tomorrow. I plan on prepping some meat and veggie dishes tomorrow to be ready for a successful first week.

I'm excited but nervous to start. But something has to change. I don't like the lifestyle that I have started living, after working so hard in previous years to eat healthy and be active. My goal is to completely revamp my eating habits and break my emotional tie to food. I also want to start running regularly again and complete a few 1/2 marathons this year.

• Administrators

One thing I'm struggling with a little - I was surprised to find that my mustard (Dijon) and vinegars (Balsamic and Verjuice) which I use to make salad dressing all have sulfites in them, and sometimes say "naturally occurring sulfites". I know most vinegar is listed as ok for Whole30 - hopefully this means I'll find a non-sulfite vinegar somewhere... otherwise I guess it's homemade mayo instead!

Good luck everyone! :)

If your vinegar (or other product, for that matter) indicates "naturally occuring sulfites" or shows "Contains sulfites" somewhere on the label besides the ingredient list, it is fine for whole30. It's when a company ADDS sulfites to the product that were not there to begin with that it would be non compliant.

Watch your Dijon for wine, too, btw, that would actually make it non compliant. White wine vinegar as an ingredient would be fine.

Happy Shopping

I am starting on February 2nd, only because I have an event on the 1st that I committed to before i decided to do the whole30. I am really excited about starting this new adventure, and can't wait to see what kind of results I get. I currently am dealing with hypothyroid and PCOS and I am hoping that doing the whole30 will help with these issues. I am switching to whole30 from a low carb high fat diet, I am hoping to have better sucess with whole30. 

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on starting Whole 30 Feb 1st as well.  I began my first Whole 30 on Jan 2 and made it until January 14th (my daughter's 18th birthday!).  I'm so disappointed in myself; I started feeling better and sleeping much better, but that SUGAR addiction reared it's ugly head and took over.  This time, I am committed to putting that addiction to rest once and for all!

I did read the book and found it very helpful with explaining the reasons behind Whole 30--it makes complete sense to me and made it easier for me to follow the plan; until I veered off course.  I also found the book Well Fed, to be an amazing resource for recipes.  All of the recipes I tried were straightforward and delicious.  I'm definitely buying Well Fed 2 for this round.  I also really like the website: www.stupideasypaleo.com for great recipes and tips.  The Whole 30 timeline on what to expect each day is also very helpful and validating.

I look forward to being a part of this group and helping each other through the next 30 days. :)

Archived