Dizzy spells after nursing baby...

Hi. This is my first Whole30. I'm nursing my 9mo first born.

So far, it's been a great experience and not as difficult to follow as I thought it would be. However, I got my period two days ago. I'm on day 16 today. My period usually take "the life out of me," but this time, after nursing my baby, I literally thought I was going to faint. I started seeing yellow and got a horrible headache and felt horrible for about 2 hours. I ate a baked potato and a steak and spinach. Felt better. But I feel horrible every time after nursing! What is up with that??? I've successfully nursed my baby for 9m with no problems. What is going on??

• Moderators

Hi Ally,

Sorry you are experiencing this. As a breastfeeding mother you will need more calories than a normal human. You may need to eat more than 3 times a day and you should include high-carb, starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, beets, winter squash, potatoes. You need those extra carbs!

Hope you feel better soon.

• Administrators

Ultrarunner's got it.  Many women experience a need for almost double the amount of food they normally eat when they get their period (which is totally fine and totally normal, btw).  Breastfeeding women typically need at least 4 full meals a day and some snacks.  Add the two together and if you were sticking to the standard 3 meals a day template, you are way underfeeding yourself.

Eat up.  Starchies, lots of fat (olives, coconut milk, avocado, ghee) and of course your protein and other veggies.

And WATER! This way of eating gets rid of all that extra fluid we carry around. As a nursing mother you need plenty of fluids to keep that milk supply going. Every person needs to drink at least 1/2 their body weight in water. I'm not sure what the recommendation is for nursing moms on a W30. Make sure you drink a full glass at every nursing also.

Archived