Heading to Japan, Iceland & Sri Lanka - food ideas?

CookCorn

We're heading off in March to Sri Lanka via Japan,Iceland and a heap of other places in between. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding compliant eating? Japan is my biggest worry as there's so much sugar/soy in the food The coconut aminos will be coming!

Being from Melbourne it's been relatively easy to eat out compliantly so this extended trip might be a big challenge.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I lived in Japan for a while, so I can answer about this a bit.

Most Japanese restaurants specialize in a certain type of food, not like how a restaurant in the US will have a bunch of everything. You'll see places that are just sushi, just ramen, etc. With that being said, sashimi is a good bet if you're okay with raw. Broiled fish (saba and sanma) is also a very popular traditional Japanese style food. They have their own Korean BBQ places, called yaki-niku, where you cook it yourself at your table.

Good service is king there, they'll go out of their way to please you and you can't tip.

Also, don't be afraid of the convenience store (konbini). They have a bigger selection than a stateside 7-11 and some even have seasonal things (steamed sweet potatoes in the fall, etc).

I don't know if you speak any of the language, but the word for "without" when ordering is "nashi" (nah-shee) and it goes after the item you don't want.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this post is coming too late for you or not, but I was in Iceland in January, and you should have no problem at all eating out there. I wasn't doing a Whole 30 at the time, but we ate mostly steak and fish. Everything is super fresh, and all of the restaurants we ate at were very accommodating. It also helps that most people speak English, so explaining to your server your restrictions won't be a challenge as it might be in other countries. Enjoy your trip!!

I'm not sure if this post is coming too late for you or not, but I was in Iceland in January, and you should have no problem at all eating out there. I wasn't doing a Whole 30 at the time, but we ate mostly steak and fish. Everything is super fresh, and all of the restaurants we ate at were very accommodating. It also helps that most people speak English, so explaining to your server your restrictions won't be a challenge as it might be in other countries. Enjoy your trip!!

It sounds so wonderful....steak and fish.  Two of my favorites.  Iceland,  where everyone looks like the picture of health.

In Japan you could try "shabu-shabu" or Japanese hotpot. Meats, seafood and vegetables are cooked tabletop with broth, flavored with seaweed. The dipping sauces can be tricky because they're soy-based, though. But you can opt to skip that as well as the rice that comes with the meal ( and that they put in the pot if there is leftover broth to be served as porridge). 

As mentioned by the poster above, sashimi is fresh and plentiful. I also like a dish called "chawan mushi", which is kind of a steamed egg "custard", with a little bit of chicken,shrimp or mushroom at the bottom of the cup. There's also the option to eat teppanyaki  or meats,seafood and vegetables cooked on a flat grill --- though I'm not sure about what kind of oil they use. Still, I'd eat that over the yummy yakitori or grilled meats you can find in food stalls or small eateries because those are basted with mirin wine and soy as well as traditionally served as a n accompaniment to beer! ;) 

In Iceland I'd indulge in their great list of fish and meat choices. I especially like their lamb, which I learned roams freely in their wide open spaces grazing on wild herbs and grasses. I guess that's what makes it so flavorful. I'm not sure if shark is Whole30 compliant ( or environmentally sound!) but Icelandic people are proud of a fermented shark delicacy. Yeah, it doesn't sound tasty and I must admit it's not something I'd care to eat again --- but I suppose you could try it since you'll be there!

I've never been to Sri Lanka but a local restaurant I've visited serves their food and I think the vegetable and meat curries are good, made with coconut milk. I haven't tried them without rice but I'm sure some fresh fruit on the side can help in dealing with the spiciness! In fact, I might try that myself. 

Happy travels!

Thanks everyone - we are leaving Melbourne on Saturday so will take all the advice onboard.

Re. Shark - its widely eaten here in Australia (I'm pretty sure its not environmentally or ethically sound either) but its called flake and is found in every local fish and chip shop! 

Archived