I know this isn't a brand new topic, but I could really use some tremendous encouragement and advice.

I'm 5 weeks pregnant and on day 7 of my first Whole 30. I am so nauseous and week that I'm struggling to take care of my other 2 young children & home. The nausea was true for my other 2 pregnancies, but I was at least able to curb it with carbohydrates and cheese.

My concerns are thus:

I'm at a loss concerning what to eat, most especially with snacks. I just can't stomach raw almonds and fruit often isn't enough to regain strength. What else is easy as a snack? I need easy.

Luckily my husband is doing this with me and is able to help out with dinner prep and ideas, but the rest of the day is so hard. I know I sound like I'm whining, but I assure you I'm normally quite tough.

2) Is the weakness going to go away soon? I'm not sure how much more I can take/neglect in the house. I've referenced the Whole 30 experience timeline, so I know some lethargy and weakness is expected, but this is beyond what I can take.

I very much want to finish this, but the struggle is pretty intense right now.

I cannot imagine trying to do a Whole 30 while dealing with morning sickness.  That is a time in my life when I did whatever I had to do just to get through each day.  Are you sure this is a great time for you to do this?

If you are determined to push through... the alternatives to crackers around here is plantain chips.  We buy the Trader Joe's brand:  plantains, sunflower oil, salt.  (My kids eat these with certain meals -- not me).  The sunflower oil is not ideal, but otherwise -- these may be compliant?  Mods, is this ok for someone in this situation, or not really?

I also wanted to say that I'm not trying to be some sort of superhero here. I'd just hoped that the Whole30 would help with the overall pregnancy, especially my sweet tooth and great weight gain. These few days have been so very difficult, though, so it is hard to think about continuing.

Thanks, Brewer 5, for your comment.

Melissa Hartwig did a post about pregnancy aversions and why you should just focus on being kind to yourself...not quite morning sickness but probably fairly applicable: http://whole9life.com/2013/01/pregnancy-and-food-aversions/

That said, this is probably a time where the SWYPO rule probably doesn't apply. Would you be able to stomach a banana with a scoop of almond/cashew/sunflower butter? I do it as a snack sometimes non-Whole 30, just throw the banana in a bowl and top with the nut butter...eat with a spoon. That would help more than just plain fruit at giving you some energy.

Bubbly water + nausea = slightly less nausea for some people. Have your hubby pick some up for you and give it a shot. Add a bit of 100% juice or fresh fruit to cover the taste if you don't like it.

Hard boiled eggs work as a good snack. I dip mine into salt and pepper to make them more appealing flavor-wise. Raw veggies and guacamole (if you can stand it...I hate avocado so no way for me!) or a mayo-based dip. Meat of some kind. Think of it as a meal, not a snack. Just...a smaller meal.

I'm not a mom yet, but will start trying this summer...so I've been trying to figure out as much as I can before getting to that point. Obviously, these are just suggestions...not personal anecdotes of what helped me.

I also wanted to say that I'm not trying to be some sort of superhero here. I'd just hoped that the Whole30 would help with the overall pregnancy, especially my sweet tooth and great weight gain. These few days have been so very difficult, though, so it is hard to think about continuing.

Thanks, Brewer 5, for your comment.

HI Whitehouse,

Some commiseration and ideas for you. I was paleo/ W9/W30 for 1.5 years then got pregnant. When I hit 7 weeks, I got a horrible cold and the nausea and aversions reared their ugly heads with a vengeance. I completely went off paleo for about 6 weeks. (SO BAD, I KNOW!)  I sometimes think the sugar and grains I was eating contributed further to nausea and dizziness, but my brain was in such a fog from that, that it was hard to get a grip. This weekend after realizing I had gained a ridiculous amount in just 6 weeks (I'm too embarrassed to even post the amount), I had a wake up call. I think taking a sip of someone else's diet coke was rock bottom. I haven't had soda for 2 years and it turned me off completely. I knew that when it kinda tasted good to me that I had to get a grip!!!

It also helped that tomorrow I'm done the first trimester and the nausea and exhaustion seem to be subsiding.  Started a W30 yesterday and plan to stay that way or as paleo as possible the rest of the pregnancy. Maybe just try to stay as close to paleo as possible during the 1st trimester and then go for a Whole 30 once you hit 12 weeks.  That might help you. Don't beat yourself up. (easier said than done, I know. My sister and friend have been saying that to me for 6 weeks, don't beat yourself up, you're pregnant) but I still was beating myself up, and I realized the negative self talk was not helping any. Changed mindset, committed and doing it. But again, almost out of 1st tri, so makes it easier.  Use this time to learn more about the Whole 30 way of eating and try it. If you aren't completely compliant for the 30 days, but your husband is, then maybe you can convince him to do a Whole 60 and you can try again in 30 days. 5 weeks will make a huge difference to you!

Archived