Day 25, craving, acne, gas and bloating, clothes are tight..but im not giving up

meshello

I am on day 25.  I have not cheated or slipped even once.  Just a few days ago, i felt and said out loud that it didn't feel like i was even doing anything anymore, meaning, it was feeling sooo easy.  Eating this way and cooking this way come quite naturally to me, what doesn't come naturally is the strictness of the program.  I am NOT complaining, i love it and i understand why it has to be that way.

But, day 25 is here and almost gone and i am craving some sort of a treat today like CRAZY, im not going to give in, its just interesting, i haven't had much cravings in this process and now that i am so close to the finish line BLAMMO! i am sitting here day dreaming about cashews as i write this...

two days ago i broke out some acne, i have never had acne before

i have an continue to have some gas and discomfort, not every day but definitely the majority of days.  This is worse in the evening.

and, honestly, even though i have been exercising more than normal, so i know i have more energy, i don't really feel ENERGIZED in any way.  

My clothes do not in any way feel like they are fitting better not one tiny bit

I know it isn't called the Whole25 and i understand i need to continue the rest of the way and *hope* that i will see some positive effects by the end.  I haven't craved alcohol AT ALL, which is a triumph in itself. 

But, i truly think that i just may need more time.  I am seriously considering a Whole60 to give my body more time to unravel the tangled web in which i wove.

Any support, or advice or kind words are appreciated.

I am following the meal templates to a T, so if you are wondering what i am eating a typical day looks like this:

zucchini, mushrooms, spinach with half an avocado and 2 eggs plus sometimes a little meat from last nights dinner

coffee and coconut cream

meal 2:  salad, or roasted veggies with palm sized portion of meat or a little more if dinner will be later, half an avocado, or handful of olives and cashews

meal 3:  very similar to meal 2..last night roasted winter squash with ghee, roasted potatoes and celery root, collard greens and a large chicken thigh, plus avocado

thank you in advance for any words of kindness and encouragement.

I will be watching this thread too. I posted just a few days ago about constantly being hungry. While I have to say the hunger part is getting a little less I am still so freaking crabby about food. I ate healthy to begin with so it's not like any of this started as a struggle but dang I am craving things I have never craved before in my life. I have really low energy and I lack motivation. I don't understand why I feel like I am going backwards. I didn't eat much meat and now I eat a ton of it so maybe my body isn't used to that. I don't have answers for you but I hope someone does!

hi theyreinwa...

i have found that adding more fat, like avocado or olives to my plate really helps me to make it to the next meal.  I was eating the same thing as now but with less fat and i would find myself so hungry before the next meal, so i added more avocado and viola! i can make it 4-5 hours, good luck and thanks for reading..

Sometimes people hit a wall in the last week -- either no appetite, or, like you, strong cravings to break from the Whole30 template. It's been explained as your brain sneakily trying to get you to go back, stop before it's too late! The advice is always: keep going. It's just a few more days!

Acne (and other skin problems) is, unfortunately, sometimes an aftereffect of the detox you're going through. The toxins are being expelled through all possible exits, including your skin, which can cause rashes, itching, acne, etc. Over time, as your body cleans itself of the much, this should (hopefully) subside and disappear.

You're doing great! Keep going and good luck on your final lap!

I'm mostly going to agree with the just hang in there. Acne is sometimes a side effect (I had it too and I rarely break out). Having intense cravings near the end is often your body's last ditch attempt to get the sugar it is being deprived of.

A couple of other thoughts. You said you have 2 eggs and sometimes other protein at meal 1 - if you are only having eggs make sure you have as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping. You may not always be having enough protein at your first meal.

You said you are working out more...are you having pre and post workout meals? 

I apologize if I missed the answers to these questions in your initial post - how much water are you drinking? how much sleep are you getting? what is your stress level like?

Also on the gas/bloating - nuts can contribute to this but it doesn't look like you are having a lot of those. Is avocado something newer to your diet with Whole30? Some people also find they need to eat less raw veggies while their bodies adjust to volume. 

thank you Physibeth for taking the time to respond...

my stress level is pretty ok right now, i am sleeping about 8 1/2 hours a night.  I could definitely drink more water...

i cannot hold 3 eggs in my hand without dropping them, so i eat two.  and most mornings i do throw in some left over meat from last nights dinner into the scramble.

i don't eat a lot of nuts.  i have eaten one entire bag (spread out over the course of 25 days) of cashews (8 0z) this Whole30.

Avocado is not a new introduction, i LOVE it and eat it often :)  I am consciously trying to eat mostly cooked veggies to try and reduce the gas.

AS for pre and post workout meals..NOpe, not doing them.  I usually eat brekkie and then workout so that is pre.  My workouts are usually a 5 mile hike through hilly terrain, and occasionally a jillian michaels video which kicks my butt.  I am not at this point in the program feeling hungry at all after my workouts, so i don't eat.  I eat large meals to get me to the next without snacking.

I am also taking a probiotics supplement and have all month.  Plus i drink about 12 oz of kombucha every other day.  i think i need to get some kraut in my life!

my breakout has subsided as of today...

but everything else remains the same... day 26! bring it!

Hey there Meshello!  I'm glad you posted, I was about to do the same.  I feel like I'm eating very similarly to what you're eating.  I'm on day 22 and feel like a stuffed sausage.  I haven't even come close to cheating, either.  I have breezed through this w/ no real side effects, but I hardly ate any processed foods or sugar before.  I also only ate meat 1-2 times a week and now it's 2-3 times a day.  I work out like a fiend, always have (12-14 hrs a week, cardio and yoga). Before this, my dinners were 2-3 glasses of wine and a plateful of cheese, maybe with some super dark chocolate.  I haven't even missed that much, the meals I've prepared have been so good.  But I'm super deflated that my pants are still incredibly tight.  WTH?  I'm going to be incredibly depressed if I get through 30 days and have lost like 2 lbs.  I know it's about more than that, but on my own, I could have lost 10 lbs in a month (which is how much I need to lose), and I could have kept wine and cheese in my diet.  Ugh.  Feeling sad.

Hey there Meshello!  I'm glad you posted, I was about to do the same.  I feel like I'm eating very similarly to what you're eating.  I'm on day 22 and feel like a stuffed sausage.  I haven't even come close to cheating, either.  I have breezed through this w/ no real side effects, but I hardly ate any processed foods or sugar before.  I also only ate meat 1-2 times a week and now it's 2-3 times a day.  I work out like a fiend, always have (12-14 hrs a week, cardio and yoga). Before this, my dinners were 2-3 glasses of wine and a plateful of cheese, maybe with some super dark chocolate.  I haven't even missed that much, the meals I've prepared have been so good.  But I'm super deflated that my pants are still incredibly tight.  WTH?  I'm going to be incredibly depressed if I get through 30 days and have lost like 2 lbs.  I know it's about more than that, but on my own, I could have lost 10 lbs in a month (which is how much I need to lose), and I could have kept wine and cheese in my diet.  Ugh.  Feeling sad.

If this is a large increase in meat for you then you might benefit from taking digestive enzymes. It takes your body some time to adjust to digesting more meat. If you decide to try them check ingredients carefully. We don't recommend a specific brand anymore because we've been burned by companies changing the ingredients. http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

Day 28 today!  my skin is actually looking pretty good, i think i may have just had a detox moment a few days back.

I am not afraid of reintroduction, however, since i am not craving anything or feeling like i just absolutely have to have anything in particular, and because i am feeling like another 30 days would only be beneficial to my overall health.  so here's to a Whole60!  I am refocusing my intention for the next 32 days to one of dedicating myself entirely to the process without emotional attachment to the results.  I was listening to a podcast this morning, and the man speaking said that he realized he wasn't in "it" for a day, or even a week or a month, he was in it for the long haul and so being attached emotionally to the results on a daily or weekly or monthly basis was a waste of energy and instead if one is dedicated to the process by which we create change then change inevitably will happen.

I am going to really focus on this mindset for the next phase of my Whole30 journey...

Archived