Spicy carrot salad - need ingredient substitution help

SusanB.

So I've had this Russian "Korean" salad a few times, and it's delightful. It's a Russian dish, but apparently because it's spicy, in Russia it's referred to as "Korean carrot salad". 

I don't care what people call it, it's just good.

But....noncompliant oils. And a bit of....sugar. Boooo.

I can see how just leaving the sugar out would make it too sour (and I love sour).

Any creative person have suggestions on how to modify the recipe? I assume that using olive oil would be fine (or is there a more neutral-tasting oil I'm forgetting?

http://natashaskitchen.com/2010/12/06/russian-carrot-salad-with-coriander/

Olive oil or Avocado Oil would work well in place of Canola for sure. 

I have made a very similar salad (it was called Moroccan Carrot Salad?), that did not contain sugar, so I would definitely try just leaving it out. If you feel like it needs a touch of sweetness, I think raisins might do well here. Maybe throw in a handful and see how it tastes?

EDIT to add: if you find the vinegar too strong, lemon juice would be nice but a little milder.

I'll start with olive oil - see if it's too strong a taste. It's hard to describe, but between the vegetable oil and the plain old white vinegar, the dish has a really neutral taste - except for the spicy. I can imagine that olive oil - or lemon - would add another element to it.

Which is not to say that adding something to it would be bad - I shall experiment. Pineapple, eh? Worth a try, maybe.

I don't taste that anything in it actually tastes sweet, so I'm definitely not looking for something to genuinely sweeten it - I am just guessing the sugar is in there to balance to acid.

If I get it right, I'll share. Because this is one delicious dish.

Definitely try a light tasting olive oil instead of EVOO if you want a neutral flavor.

Try soaking a date in warm water and blending it with the dressing or maybe just soaking the date in the dressing would allow some of the sweetness to leach out.

Archived