Travel to Guadalajara...yikes

NJZ

Just started my 30 this week, knowing I would be in Guadalajara, Mexico, next week...  I did that on purpose figuring if I could make it through that, the rest should be a breeze.

No, not worried about my will-power, I mean finding food!

Help... any recommendations or advice for eating properly in Old Mexico?

Thanks in advance

No, not worried about my will-power, I mean finding food!

This was my thought, exactly! Honestly, IMO this is going to be tough.  The forum, however, has tons of threads on traveling and portable foods.  Just use Google to search. For instance Whole30 and travel.  I assume you are flying? If so, you are pretty limited on what you can bring.

Are you fluent in Spanish? That will, of course, be the only way to converse with employees of restaurants about how foods will be prepared.  I would imagine you could run into some resistance with the extensive restrictions the Whole30 imposes.

Sorry, I can't offer much advise since I am not sure this is going to be doable in the strict Whole30 sense.  Hopefully, someone who has gone through a similar experience can weigh in and give you some advice. Good luck! 

So, night one, I went to a local market here and ate some arrachera.  They said it was made without any oils (they grilled it, though, so I imagine they used something on the grill?)  I had it with lettuce and tomatoes (and tasted the salsa, but who, Nelly... anyway...)

Bought some baby carrots to eat along with and an apple for afterwards. 

Am I still good, you think?

• Administrators

Am I still good, you think?

Hmmm...all the arrachera that I just looked up online is marinated in at the least, sugar, at the worst, soy sauce.  Arrachera is skirt or flank steak so it would have to be marinated in something in order to not be shoe-leather.  So....possibly not still good?  :(

This has to be one of the most difficult challenges while on Whole30 that I have personally seen someone take on and to be honest if you are only there a week, I would make best-case choices for myself and then come home and rock a Whole30.  

I'm in the Yucatan.. its a challenge yes but you can do it..I do believe they use decent oils for cooking.. maybe not a whole 30 first choice but compliant.

Hey If you can stay away from the fresh tortillas give yourself a HUGE pat on the back..    

Archived