The Whole100

petitemortuaire

Day 87.

3-day BM streak! 

Meal 1: ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin, jalapeño powder, shawarma seasoning, and Penzeys Chili 9000 seasoning; cashews; spinach sautéed in olive oil; sweet potato roasted in coconut oil.

Meal 2: tuna mixed with olive oil and jalapeno powder; spinach sautéed in olive oil and coconut vinegar; sweet peppers; one clementine; 1/3 sweet potato roasted in coconut oil.

Meal 3: ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin, jalapeño powder, shawarma seasoning, and Penzeys Chili 9000 seasoning; baby carrots; green olives.

Tonight, I went to a party and a friend of mine had made Whole30 compliant buffalo chicken dip! It was SO GOOD. And it kept me from craving the alcohol, s'mores cupcakes, and peanut butter chocolate cake that were also at the party. I know I identified this as a problem a few weeks ago, but my "must stock up" mentality still reigns with free and compliant foods. I definitely over-indulged on the dip, but I'm trying not to beat myself up over it. Next time I'm in a situation like that, my plan is to plate myself one portion, savor it, and then hang out far away from the food. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 88.

Today I went grocery shopping and made Nom Nom Paleo's Slow Cooker Kalua Pig (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig) substituting smoked paprika for bacon, as well as a batch of mayo. No BM.

Meal 1: ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin, jalapeño powder, shawarma seasoning, and Penzeys Chili 9000 seasoning; sweet potato roasted in coconut oil; broccoli sautéed in olive oil and Penzeys Trinidad seasoning; macadamia nuts.

Meal 2: ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin, jalapeño powder, shawarma seasoning, and Penzeys Chili 9000 seasoning; sweet potato roasted in coconut oil; broccoli sautéed in olive oil and Penzeys Trinidad seasoning; grape tomatoes; unsweetened applesauce mixed with cacao powder and La Boite Bombay N.3 seasoning (http://shop.laboiteny.com/products/bombay-n-3).

Meal 3: fish marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and La Boite Breeze N.5 seasoning (http://shop.laboiteny.com/collections/spices/products/breeze-n-5);yellow squash sautéed in coconut oil and Penzeys Trinidad seasoning; sweet potato roasted in coconut oil; asparagus roasted in olive oil; dollop of mayo; 5 chunks of mango

Day 89.

I reallllllllly didn't want to do day 22 of my 30 Days of Yoga program yesterday, but I did, and I'm glad I did. It made falling asleep so easy!

Some other cool things that happened yesterday: I went shopping at Goodwill and tried on a bunch of size 8/10 garments that were too big! I tried on a size 6 dress a few days ago that fit perfectly, but I didn't really trust it. I can guess that I'm still more like a 10 if I were going to buy jeans. My body is just built that way. Anyway, I bought 1 skirt, 3 tops, 2 cardigans, 1 jacket, and 3 books for $16.39. NOT TOO SHABBY. Also, had a BM.

The Kalua Pig turned out a little drier than I'd hoped, but it's because I accidentally bought the wrong cut of pork. Regardless, it's delicious. 

Tonight I'll be going to a banquet with my friend Annie. She says there's free dinner there, but my plan is to eat beforehand and skip whatever they're serving. If its buffet style, I can do this no problem. they've got compliant foods (salad, fruit... especially fruit) and I'm tempted to eat them, I'll drink a glass of water. I don't have to put it in my mouth just because it's there and I can eat it!

Here's my food for the day:

Meal 1: Kalua Pig; asparagus roasted in olive oil; sweet potato roasted in coconut oil; 5 chunks frozen mango (as ice cubes)

Meal 2: Kalua Pig; asparagus roasted in olive oil; grape tomatoes; dollop mayo; frozen mango

Meal 3: Kalua Pig; asparagus roasted in olive oil; grilled zucchini and peppers; dollop mayo; grape tomato; shredded carrot; lemon juice; artisan lettuce; applesauce

Update on the banquet: It was a seated dinner. I had some of the salad and a few of the grilled veggies. 

Day 90.

Hard boiled 10 eggs & cooked up a batch of zucchini in coconut oil, s&p, and La Boite's Shabazi N.38 this morning. Tomorrow I;ll make egg salad with smoked paprika. And tuna salad, too!

Had a BM, but it was more a little on the hard side, like a 2-3 on the Bristol scale. 

Here's today's food:

Meal 1: Kalua Pig, dollop mayo, the aforementioned zucchini

Meal 2: Kalua Pig, zucchini, grape tomatoes, olives

Meal 3: Kalua Pig, zucchini, grape tomatoes, olives

Post-yoga: 1 hardboiled egg

Day 91.

10 days left! This is crazy. Yesterday, I updated my reintroduction schedule. Moved alcohol to the beginning, as my first day of reintros is my last day of the semester. I am, however, starting to feel kind of down on myself. Maybe its because I'm drinking 64 oz of water a day now, but I've been looking/feeling fatter than I did about a month ago. I've also looked at pictures of me after my first Whole30 attempt 2 years ago, and though I'm fitting into the same clothes, I think I look so much bigger now. It's not hurting my dedication to the program, but it's hurting my morale. I find myself questioning whether I'm eating too much--but not wanting to eat any less--because I'm hungry! As you can see, I'm having pre/post-yoga meals (but not both). I think I'm also eating a little more protein with some regular meals. I'm wondering if that's contributing at all. It's making me nervous to step on the scale on day 101 and see a number that's higher than I'd hope after 100 days of clean eating. But even having that thought makes me feel bad, because my clothes are fitting way differently, and it means I haven't shaken my relationship with the scale, and I'm still letting that number dictate my happiness. So maybe I should stay off it. 

Anyway, here's today's food:

Meal 1: Kalua Pig; spinach cooked in a teeny bit of coconut oil; organic salsa

Meal 2: tuna salad (tuna + homemade mayo); spinach cooked in a teeny bit of coconut oil

Meal 3: egg salad (2 hardboiled eggs; homemade mayo; S&P; mustard powder; smoked paprika); spinach cooked in a teeny bit of coconut oil

Pre-yoga: Kalua Pig; macadamia nuts; baby carrots

Day 92.

So last night, after feeling pretty down on myself, I looked at photos of me now vs. a year ago. The difference in my face and body are really apparent! So that cheered me up. 

I also came home to a Vitacost package with lots of things to enjoy now and post-Whole 100: tapioca flour, arrowroot starch, plantain flour, coconut aminos, tahini, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, and On the Go Paleo's Unsweetened Hot Cereal (http://www.vitacost.com/on-the-go-paleo-hot-cereal-gluten-grain-free-unsweetened-15-8-oz).

Had a really stellar BM first this morning after none yesterday.

Today's food:

M1: OTGP hot cereal; raspberry compote (just frozen raspberries cooked down until they made a sauce); mango; 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil; baby carrots

M2: Kalua pig; broccoli (sautéed in olive oil & seasoned w/ S&P and Penzeys Trinidad seasoning); grape tomatoes; olives

M3: egg salad (2 hardboiled eggs; homemade mayo; S&P; mustard powder; smoked paprika); broccoli (sautéed in olive oil & seasoned w/ S&P and Penzeys Trinidad seasoning); 1/2 portion olives

Post-yoga: 1 hardboiled egg

Day 93.

Talked with M (who I'm doing this Whole100 with) about my recent demoralization. She's been feeling similarly, too. But we encouraged each other to think about how healthy, awesome, and beautiful we are, rather than body shame. 

Today's food:

M1: tuna salad (tuna, homemade mayo, jalapeno powder); baby carots

M2: Kalua pig; broccoli (sautéed in olive oil & seasoned w/ S&P and Penzeys Trinidad seasoning); macadamia nuts

M3: Kalua pig, baby carrots; grape tomato; clementine; POTG hot cereal

Day 94. One week left!

Here's today's food:

M1: Stupid Easy Paleo's Lemon Tahini Tuna Salad; broccoli (sautéed in olive oil & seasoned w/ S&P and Penzeys Trinidad seasoning)

M2: Kalua pig; broccoli (sautéed in olive oil & seasoned w/ S&P and Penzeys Trinidad seasoning); macadamia nuts; baby carrots; cherry tomato

M3: Stupid Easy's Paleo's tom kha soup; Primal Palate's cauliflower rice; a few chunks of sweet potato roasted in coconut oil; 2 clementines

I got adventurous with a new tuna recipe this morning. I have to say, it was a little too lemony, even though I used 7 oz tuna instead of 5. Later in the day, I bought a slew of new and exciting veggies when I went grocery shopping: chayote squash, jicama, fresh ginger, and unpasteurized sauerkraut! I've never had chayote before, but I'm excited to try it. I came home and immediately started food prep: tom kha soup, sautéed spinach in olive oil, roasted sweet potatoes in coconut oil, and cauliflower rice, Trinidad-seasoned chicken, and black truffled mushrooms. I managed to blacken the bottoms of some of my sweet potato (oh well, still gonna eat them). This was also my first time making cauliflower rice. I started out using the food processor, but found it was coming out too fine. Then, I tried to break down the food processor and put in a grating blade, and somehow managed to get to rotating blades stuck, drop the container, and break it. I guess I won't be making homemade mayo until I visit my parents and pick up the immersion blender they have waiting for me.

Day 95.

Meal 1: Eggs over easy (cooked in coconut oil) topped with kalua pig; broccoli (sauteed in olive oil & seasoned w/ S&P and Penzeys Trinidad seasoning); sweet potato (roasted in coconut oil)

Meal 2: tom kha soup; 1/4 jicama and 2 clementines tossed w/ lime juice and Tajin Clasico Seasoning

Meal 3: tom kha soup; cauliflower rice; sweet potato (roasted in coconut oil); mushrooms (sautéed in olive oil & black truffle oil)

Today I hiked a 5k with some friends. I didn't want to go at first, but I'm glad I did! I feel really accomplished. Also, tomorrow is the last day of my 30 Days of Yoga. I think I'll still do yoga every day, but I'm also planning to start the Strong Curves program over the summer. 

Day 96.

Today I'm going to a work party. My boss has been kind enough to consider how I'm eating and is preparing a menu that I can enjoy, too! I'm thinking about making deviled eggs to bring, as well. 

Here's today's food:

M1: chicken (cooked in coconut oil & Trinidad seasoning); sweet potato (roasted in coconut oil; seasoned with salt); spinach (sautéed in olive oil; seasoning with salt and pepper); salsa; jicama sprinkled with Tajin

M2: tuna salad (1 can tuna, 1/2 avocado, and Tajin); mushrooms (sautéed in olive oil and black truffle oil); cauliflower rice

M3: 9 cilantro-lime marinated chicken wings; artichoke, spinach, tomato, asparagus, and green onion salad (dressed in olive oil, vinegar, S&P); jicama & clementine (tossed with lime juice & Tajin)

Finished up 30 Days of Yoga today. You basically had to lead yourself through a yoga routine that feels good to you. I was impressed by my ability to think of a practice and keep moving! I also did just over an hour and a half of hiking today. Tomorrow, I'll start Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I'll continue doing brief yoga routines, too. When that's done, I think I'll start Fightmaster Yoga's Yoga Fix 90.

I made eggs in purgatory this weekend based on your recommendation (and we had leftover meat sauce so win-win) and it was glorious. I've been following your log closely as I will likely have to extend my whole30 to a whole60 or whole90.

I made eggs in purgatory this weekend based on your recommendation (and we had leftover meat sauce so win-win) and it was glorious. I've been following your log closely as I will likely have to extend my whole30 to a whole60 or whole90.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'm excited to keep reading about how your journey continues.

Day 97.

Pretty boring food day. I had to let ground beef defrost and use up some eggs I had.

M1: 2 eggs (cooked in coconut oil; seasoned w/ Tajin, S&P); chicken (cooked in coconut oil; seasoned w/ Penzeys Trinidad); 1/2 avocado (seasoned w/ Tajin); zucchini (sautéed in olive oil; seasoned w/ La Boite Shabazi)

M2: 2 hardboiled eggs; sweet potato (roasted in coconut oil; seasoned w/ S&P); zucchini (sautéed in olive oil; seasoned w/ La Boite Shabazi)

M3: 2 hardboiled eggs; sweet potato (roasted in coconut oil; seasoned w/ S&P); zucchini (sautéed in olive oil; seasoned w/ La Boite Shabazi)

Post-wo: 1/2 can tuna; baby carrots

So, today I started Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. I'd done the first workout once before a couple years ago and didn't get through it. It was brutal, but less horrible than I remembered. The hardest part about it for me was jumping jacks. After taking a rest, I did some yoga to stretch out my legs, and then IMMEDIATELY felt hungry, and ate my post-wo. The one thing I remember vividly from doing the 30 Day Shred last time was that my legs were SO SORE the next day. Sadly, the video doesn't take enough time to stretch and recover. I still know I'll be sore tomorrow. The hardest thing will be pushing through that pain while doing the routine again, but I'm going to do it!

Day 98.

This morning I did a little food prep before school: hard-boiled a dozen eggs and cooked off one lb. ground beef in S&P, jalapeno powder, Penzeys Chili 9000, shawarma seasoning, smoked paprika, and cumin.

I've also found out how seriously a lack of hydration affects my BMs. Just two days of not drinking 64oz of water a day and I was left extremely constipated. It took a while to get things moving this morning, but they did!

Here's today's food:

M1: ground beef (seasoned w/ S&P, jalapeno powder, Penzeys Chili 9000, shawarma seasoning, smoked paprika, and cumin); 1/2 can tuna w/ homemade mayo; 1 cup jicama with Tajin; 1 almond

M2: ground beef (seasoned w/ S&P, jalapeno powder, Penzeys Chili 9000, shawarma seasoning, smoked paprika, and cumin); spinach & kale (sautéed in a tiny bit of olive oil with S&P); salsa; 1/2 chayote; 1/2 avocado sprinkled with Tajin; cauliflower rice

Post-wo: 1 hardboiled egg

M3: ground beef (seasoned w/ S&P, jalapeno powder, Penzeys Chili 9000, shawarma seasoning, smoked paprika, and cumin); cauliflower rice; 1/2 avocado sprinkled with Tajin; 1/2 chayote; spinach & kale (sautéed in a tiny bit of olive oil with S&P)

Woke up surprisingly less sore than expected. I think the yogic stretching really helped. However, as the day progressed, I got more and more sore. Did my workout around 3:30 and some yogic leg stretches afterwards. Today, the 30DS was simultaneously easier and harder than it was yesterday: my soreness dissipated as soon as I started jumping jacks, and I did all of the jumping jacks today instead of running in place for the last few; however, I got much more winded on the ab workouts than yesterday, and probably didn't squat/side squat as deep. I definitely need to work on my side squat form. 

Day 99.

Tonight I'm going to another work party. This one's a potluck, so I know there will be little to none that I can eat, except for what I bring. My plan is to eat beforehand (in case I can't eat anything else besides my own dish). Then when I get there, I'll make a plate with compliant foods. After I have that one plate, I'm going to stay the hell out of the kitchen for the rest of the party. I'll be making a jicama/watermelon/clementine/mango fruit salad tossed with lime juice and Tajin. I really need to find the low sodium version of that damn addicting seasoning...

Here's today's food:

M1: red bell pepper filled with tuna salad (1 can tuna; red pepper cubes; homemade mayo; jalapeno powder; Tajin); baby carrots

M2: ground beef (seasoned w/ S&P, jalapeno powder, Penzeys Chili 9000, shawarma seasoning, smoked paprika, and cumin); macadamia nuts; slices of orange bell pepper; baby carrots

M3: ground beef (seasoned w/ S&P, jalapeno powder, Penzeys Chili 9000, shawarma seasoning, smoked paprika, and cumin); macadamia nuts; baby carrots; stray pieces of watermelon from potluck prep

Party food: jicama/watermelon/clementine/mango salad tossed with Tajin & lime juice; grapes; pineapple; blackberries; strawberries. 

Holy fruit! Unsurprisingly, there was nothing else I could eat at the party. It could have been so easy to give in, but I'm glad I didn't. And here's something crazy: it appears that my pineapple allergy is gone! Pineapple used to give me an itchy, swollen tongue. Is that some kind of Whole100 magic?

I really didn't want to do 30DS tonight. I was SO SORE ALL DAY. But again, once I started doing it, most of the soreness went away. I did have to stop on the third set of jumping jacks and chose to run in place, but my form was terrible so I thought that would be better. Overall, I can see improvements in my stamina from Day 1 to Day 3 (though blasting a fan on my this time around probably helped a lot). 

I've read this whole thing. it's very inspiring. I plan on doing an extended whole30.. 100 days sounds great. I may just have to do this.

I'm anxious to see how your reintroductions go. I can never go offroading without seemingly undoing EVERYTHING I worked so hard for. I doubt i'll introduce much at all after mine. With my autoimmune diseases, the cleaner the better!

I've read this whole thing. it's very inspiring. I plan on doing an extended whole30.. 100 days sounds great. I may just have to do this.

I'm anxious to see how your reintroductions go. I can never go offroading without seemingly undoing EVERYTHING I worked so hard for. I doubt i'll introduce much at all after mine. With my autoimmune diseases, the cleaner the better!

Thanks so much for reading! I wish you luck on whatever extended version you decide to do. 

I'll admit, I am a little nervous about off-roading, but much less so than I would be after doing a Whole30. Doing this for 100 days has really solidified my love of a paleo lifestyle. I don't even particularly want to reintroduce things, but I think it's worth figuring out exactly what does and does not affect me, so I can make informed decisions about indulging in special/homemade meals and treats (like the to-die-for cheesy potatoes my co-worker made for the potluck tonight). The things I'm reintroducing I've chosen because they're often part of those special dishes I'd off-road for. 

That's good that you are thinking smartly about your off roading. That's why I think more than 30 days is preferable.

The last time my whole30 ended, I went to D.C. and ate everything In one day... coffee w/cream and sugar, cheese, fried foods, everything. It was a disaster. By the end of the day I was so sick I could barely stand up. I now know that I have to do little by little when I DO reintroduce things.

I guess today is day 100!!! YAY!

Day 100!!!!!!!!!!

Woke up sore this morning, unsurprisingly. But I ate breakfast, did some food prep (sweet potatoes; asparagus), and completed day 4 of 30DS. It's 2:30 now, and I've already had 3 BMs (each progressively looser than the last). Not sure what it is, but if I had to guess, it might be that I ate two eggs/used mayo made with eggs that were probably getting on old.

Now that it's day 100, more than anything, I'm encouraged by how today doesn't feel like the end of anything. It just feels like life. And that's exactly what I was hoping to get out of my Whole100: not a jump start or reboot, but a new lifestyle; a new relationship with food; and new way of nourishing and caring for my body. There are still things I struggle with, but I'm hopeful that I can keep working on it, and maintain the changes I've made. I can honestly say that during these last 100 days, I've done more to take care of my health and wellbeing than I ever have. I'm moving my body daily, drinking plenty of water, and eating foods that fuel me.

I don't feel like rushing to go eat chips, candy, or really any of the non-compliant foods I've deemed "worth it." Still, I will reintroduce properly. I'm not exactly sure when that'll start, though. If I have the opportunity and desire to drink tomorrow, It'll start then. If not, I might start on the 9th with legumes, and push back alcohol til the 18th, when I'll be with my family. I'll be seeing my godfather then, and celebrating with champagne is sort of tradition).

Here's what I ate:

M1: tuna salad (1 can tuna; homemade mayo; jalapeno powder; Tajin); 2 tomatoes (sprinkled w/ Tajin); 1/2 sweet potato

M2: 2 eggs (cooked in coconut oil); a little leftover ground beef (easoned w/ S&P, jalapeno powder, Penzeys Chili 9000, shawarma seasoning, smoked paprika, and cumin); 1/2 sweet potato; asparagus (roasted in EVOO); watermelon

Snack: banana

M3: Steak; rapini (sautéed in olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic); white potatoes (boiled and then smashed with garlic, shallot, and olive oil); homemade mayo

Thanks to everyone who's followed my journey and reached out. I am so thankful for your support! I'll be continuing this thread/log as I document my reintroduction.

Day 101 ending stats:

Weight: 140.2 lbs

Chest: 35 1/2"

Waist: 27 1/4"

Hips: 41"

Upper arm: 14"

Upper thigh: 24 1/2"

Weighed myself this morning and found out I've lost 12.8 lbs. Right now I'm 4.2 lbs away from my "goal weight" (136 lbs), but I've realized that that number means basically nothing. After checking, I put the scale back in the closet. It's going to live there, and I'll only take it down to check in after particular milestones (e.g., after I finish 30DS). I feel no need to look at the scale while I'm doing reintros, as I'm sure I'll gain some weight/bloat from all the noncompliant foods. I don't need a scale to tell me that my pants feel tighter.

Here's what I ate today:

M1: tuna salad (1 can tuna; homemade mayo; jalapeno powder; Tajin); 1 tomato; 1/2 sweet potato handful baby carrots

M2: 2 hardboiled eggs; asparagus (roasted in EVOO); 1 tomato; macadamia nuts

M3: tilapia (seared in coconut oil; seasoned w/ Tajin); 1 tomato (seared in coconut oil; seasoned w/ Tajin); asparagus (roasted in olive oil); 1/2 sweet potato; homemade mayo; watermelon (sprinkled w/ Tajin)

Snack: macadamia nuts; baby carrots

Reintroductions Day 1: Legumes

So, my best friend Becky from out of town was visiting yesterday. To spend maximum time with her, I skipped my workout. I did 30DS today, and will run through it twice tomorrow to make up for what I missed.

Today I reintroduce legumes. I cooked black beans with Bailey Farms Jalapeno Hot Sauce made and my grandmother's hummus recipe. 

G-Ma's Hummus:

• 1/2 can chickpeas
  • 2 tbsp tahini
  • Sprinkling of salt
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 1 smashed clove garlic
  • 2-4 tbsp liquid from can of chickpeas

Blend all but the chickpea liquid together. Add liquid as necessary until desired consistency is achieved. 

Here's what I ate, and how it affected me:

M1: 3 eggs (cooked in coconut oil); broccoli (sautéed in olive oil; seasoned w/ S&P); black beans; tastes of hummus as I was making it

• An hour and a half after eating breakfast (11 AM), I had a BM (amazing, since I only had 33 oz of water yesterday). However, I also had faint, but growing, pangs of a stomach ache. While working out, I got a faint cramp in my right side, which hadn't happened before. Stomach ache seemed to dissipate as I took a walk around 12:30. 

M2: 2 hardboiled eggs; baby carrots; hummus; banana

• Felt fine until 2 hours post-lunch. Then a moderate stomach ache & gas. Made me want to lie down. I don't think I need to add any more legumes today.

M3: Salmon (cooked in coconut oil; seasoned w/ red Hawaiian salt); broccoli (sautéed in olive oil; seasoned w/ S&P); homemade mayo

Snack: frozen blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries

Take home lessons: 1.5-2 hours after eating legumes, I get stomach pain and gas, which can lead to fatigue. The stomach pain gets worse with larger servings. Possible increase of poor judgment (i.e., thinking it's alright to have a snack of fruit after Meal 3). Not interested in eating legumes unless they're in something very special, like a burrito from Green Cactus or my Tia Didi's special rice and beans. Will pass on the hummus if at a party, for sure. 

Archived