Alternative to Coconut Water for Long Runs

laurab

Hi! I'm on day 13 and in the process of training for my next marathon, and I have a half marathon next week. Pre-whole30 I was using Gatorade (which I dislike in general, but it is what on most race course and I train with what will be available on race day) along with water to my long runs. I also used Nuun tablets usually post run. But, neither are compliant now. Other people have posted that coconut water is a good source of electrolytes to replenish during these runs. So I tried it- and I really really really just don't like it and can't get over the taste.  Any other suggestions to stay fueled on the long runs? Thank you!

Electrolyte capsules, easier to carry and take with water.  I use coconut water for my really really long runs for variety but for a marathon I use just water and the capsules (Salt Stick brand is what I use).  As far as fueling, I'm still working that out.  I'm on Day 21 and I have been able to successfully fuel whole30 stayle up to 20 miles, but after that started to bonk, feel full and have GI distress.  You should be ok for 26.2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm on day 13 and in the process of training for my next marathon, and I have a half marathon next week. Pre-whole30 I was using Gatorade (which I dislike in general, but it is what on most race course and I train with what will be available on race day) along with water to my long runs. I also used Nuun tablets usually post run. But, neither are compliant now. Other people have posted that coconut water is a good source of electrolytes to replenish during these runs. So I tried it- and I really really really just don't like it and can't get over the taste.  Any other suggestions to stay fueled on the long runs? Thank you!

Coconut water is a marketing gimmick, it doesn't help at all. Google coconut "coconut water detriment" and read away.

For running, drink up to 500ml of plain water per hour, take properly formulated electrolyte capsules (sodium, chloride, calcium, magnesium, potassium) and supplement with bananas and oranges on course. If needed, although not Whole30 compliant, carry complex carbohydrate gels (not honey, not -ose) to bring caloric intake to 120-160 calories/hour max.

Archived