Starting again with food (18 February)

Ytu

Day 27

Woke up at 6.30 after 8.5 hrs good sleep.

20-minute HIIT workout 9 and 5 minute cool down / stretch

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with ghee, cooked spinach, half a sweet potato, prunes. A black tea.

M2: sardines chopped up with onion and sundried tomatoes, with carrots, radishes, cherry tomatoes and olives. 2 brazil nuts.

(Bloated and gassy 1 hr after lunch. Too many raw veg again? Maybe the rule of thumb could be that anything that feels like a lot of work while chewing it will also be a lot of work to digest?)

M3: pork sausages with roast parsnips and onions, braised red cabbage with apple.

Got more sunflower seeds for making sunbutter, also a little bag of flax seeds (will try some ground flaxseeds in case it helps with digestion by adding fibre). Also brazil nuts to use as a selenium supplement just 1-2 a day. I don't like their flavour all that much so they're definitely a food with safe brakes.

Feeling quite down about the extra fat around my waist and on my belly which I'm now sure is there. Must have been eating too much.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks kmlynne! I've been having a few prunes with my breakfast. Things are slowly improving, without going TMI on this, frequency is back to normal, volume still a bit lacking. I stopped taking magnesium because it didn't seem to have any effect and I began to wonder if it was actually relaxing the autonomous muscles in the gut too much and slowing digestive transit.

Bloating seems to be better this morning. I'm going to do the final three days without eggs to check they haven't become an issue through eating so many.

Day 28

9 hrs sleep. Was hoping to wake up early and go for a short run, but guess my body preferred the sleep. Leg muscles aching a bit from yesterday's workout.

M1: ground turkey sauteed with spring onion, carrots, fivespice, coconut oil. Sauerkraut, prunes, a black tea. Also 2 tbsp of ground flax seeds, 2 brazil nuts.

M2: leftover pork sausage (just one) with braised red cabbage, parsnips, onions. (This might be a bit low on protein.)

M3: spicy chicken wings, broccoli, green beans, potatoes, sunshine sauce (this time with less garlic and no coconut milk).

Need to go vegetable shopping on the way home, I have only root veg and sweet potatoes left. 

Afternoon update: bloating is down today and most of the puffiness around my midriff, which I thought was new body fat, seems to have disappeared. Good news! Wonder if it is the eggs. 

Day 29

Well, something has done the trick, whether it was the addition of flax seeds or the exclusion of eggs, but bloating and constipation are finally gone. About time! I would have hated to have finished the 30 days still suffering.

M1: Ground turkey sauteed with carrots and spring onions, broccoli and potatoes with sunshine sauce, a black coffee.

M2: braised red cabbage and apples with a tin of sardines (not a combo I recommend)

M3: borscht made with beef bone broth, mince beef, onion, beetroot, carrot, potatoes, sauerkraut. Half an orange

Was hungry again after dinner so had 2 brazil nuts and a small pear. Broth not very filling after all, I guess.

Sunshine sauce without coconut was successful. Used a small clove of garlic but blitzed it in the microwave first to take edge off the raw garlic taste. Also tried to make the coconut amino substitute from clothes make the girl but substituting a date for the molasses. A strange result. More like worcestershire sauce (must have been the dates + fish sauce) than soy sauce, peculiar but not disgusting. I can imagine it being useful as an umami addition. The beef broth was so gelatinous, though, the sauce has now set into half foam, half jelly...

Day 30

Last day! Or last official day. I'll probably still keep to on-plan foods tomorrow. This weekend there's social occasions to navigate so I'll get through those the best I can and start reintros properly next week.

M1: Ground turkey with spring onions and carrots, broccoli, sunshine sauce (maybe 2 tsp), half an avocado, a bowl of berries, a black coffee.

M2: borscht. (You know it's good quality gelatinous broth when the whole soup sets solid in the fridge!) Yummy! improved by being kept and reheated.

M3: paleo pad thai substituting courgettes for the spaghetti squash.

Hurrah for day 30!

I meant to say we had the SB&j and Elvis burgers last Friday night. I halved each fruit quantity so we had one of each each. They were EPIC!! So delicious. Felt like a real treat, filling and yummy.

Hurrah for day 30!

I meant to say we had the SB&j and Elvis burgers last Friday night. I halved each fruit quantity so we had one of each each. They were EPIC!! So delicious. Felt like a real treat, filling and yummy.

You all are making me want to try one of those SB&J burgers!  

Karen, do it! They are really yummy. I'm going to have the strawberry ones as soon as they come into season.

My results were a bit underwhelming this time, really. Not the kind of dramatic improvements I had on my first round.

Positives:

30 days of healthy eating, both physically and psychologically. No cravings, no snacking, no binging, not being pressured into eating anything I didn't want. This is a huge achievement for me and I need to keep that in mind.

Skin is clearer, no breakouts.

Lost only 1kg on the scales but 3cm off my waist, 2 cm off hips, 2 cm off thigh. Not huge numbers but enough to make me feel "back to normal" in my clothes after being a bit uncomfortable before, having put on weight in the winter. And at least I didn't put on weight, like at times I thought I might!

No change:

Still feel tired despite sleeping a lot, brain foggy in the mornings.

Still irritable and grumpy, especially at work.

Still not motivated to exercise.

Negatives:

Worried now that I may have developed a sensitivity to eggs by eating too many. Need to keep an eye on it.

While sugar cravings were completely gone during the 30 days, I could feel them coming back yesterday. My sugar dragon was trying to convince me to treat myself as a reward for getting through the 30, and I was feeling grumpy that I "couldn't" have anything sweet as I'd decided to stay off sugary things until Easter. And I was feeling a bit sad and lost all day. I'd kind of like to just keep going with the programme but I know the real challenge is in living with real life situations like takeaways and meals out and making the best choices every day with no strict rules to guide me. This is the hard part.

Stayed on paleo foods on day 31 but a less than ideal eating pattern, snacking and dried fruits and nuts. Had an egg with my lunch salad and I don't know if it was the egg or the dried fruits or something else but I was bloated again in the evening.

I've made a totally SWYPO orange, apricot and almond cake (no added sugar, no dairy, no grains) to take to a friend's birthday today and may try a little bit of it. After that, no more eggs, dried fruit, nuts for a few days and then try reintro for eggs alone.

Archived