Dairy

Sam Sam

I completed my whole30 2 days ago. I'm just starting re-introduction today and have just had a latte about 30 mins ago. My stomach is already starting to cramp! Does this mean I will no longer tolerate dairy or is this normal during re-intro? TIA

Hi Sam Sam 

I did a whole 28 !!! just coming up to new year 

My conclusion when I had dairy again (and it was butter) was that although I love dairy it does not love me 

Starting with milk is probably tricky with the lactose and caesin

Maybe try ghee / butter and cheese 1st

Zoe

My stomach is already starting to cramp! Does this mean I will no longer tolerate dairy or is this normal during re-intro? TIA

If cramping is minor, it's worth trying it at two more meals today to be sure, but probably yes: you have a sensitivity to dairy.

As Zoe mentions, some people do better with other forms of dairy. High quality fermented dairy might work for you even if regular milk does not. Goats milk may work where cows milk does not. For me personally, I can handle butter, and a very small quantity of fermented dairy (like a little yogurt in a sauce) but definitely not milk or cheese or yogurt as a food. YMMV.

Did you cut out coffee during the W30? If you have had black coffee without a problem during the W30, it's probably the milk. If not, it could be the highly acidic coffee that's causing trouble.

I'm having the exact same issue right now after my latte, but had no problem with whey protein in my smoothie this morning... So I may need to try dairy on its own to decide whether it's the milk, or the coffee.

Archived