Totally overwhelmed breastfeeding a newborn

keightlynn

So my husband and I did a Whole30 in January during my 3rd trimester and it went great.  I was feeling really good.  However since my son was born, my diet has just been horrible.  I'm breastfeeding him and he wants to eat constantly.  I don't get much sleep and right now I just feel like it's a successful day if I can get a shower.  I think I'm dealing with some degree of PPD, although it's starting to get a little better, I'm definately not myself yet.  I think eating properly would do a lot of good for me, but I'm just so overwhelmed I don't know where to even start. It was stressful cooking for the Whole30 last time, but now it doesn't even seem possible.  Does anyone have advice? My son was 3 weeks yesterday.

• Administrators

Perhaps adding further stress to an already rather stressful period isn't the way to go?  While we love people to experience Whole30's at whatever stage they are at in their lives, there are some times when it's just not reasonable.  Like....when you have a 3 week old and you are sleep deprived and stressed and maxed already?

If I were you I would probably start to make and eat (or request from friends and family members) meals that are closer to Whole30 protocol so that you can start better nourishing yourself.

Your whole job right now is to make milk for your beautiful new baby.  Try not to stress out too much about what else you "could" be doing.

(Ditch the sugar immediately...........that will only contribute to blood sugar swings and hormone imbalances which you definitely do not need right now.)

I would agree with LadyShanny, and I would add that you're still in the post-partum hormone olympics. Your job right now is to make milk and recover. Eat as well as you can, and take every single bit of help offered. Really. Sending lots of good thoughts your way.

Archived