Anyone else experiencing worse PMS during whole 30 than before? Most of the info I found talks about women having a lessening of symptoms, but I am feeling so depleted and exhausted. I am nursing a 14 mo old and on day 13. Cycle is expected to start in 4 days, but feels like it is imminent. I know is has been recommended to eat more during this time, but I am not even feeling all that hungry? I powered through my salty sweet cravings the last three days or so but now just having to practically force myself to eat breakfast and lunch.

• Administrators

The first period on Whole30 can definitely be worse.  It takes a couple cycles where you've been mostly Whole30 eating before most start to notice an improvement.  For me it's taken 6 full menstrual cycles before I've noticed any change.

You definitely need to eat, try to choose foods that are appealing but do try and eat at least 3 meals each day.  I suspect this is your hormones being chaotic from the start of the whole30 and breastfeeding and your impending period.  You probably can't trust your body's signals right now so do eat as much as you can.

I agree with Shanny. My first whole gave me one of my worst PMSs since adolescence. It also came late and I felt like I was waiting for it to hit for days. But the following months were way better than usual. (Eating mostly on track.) I was less moody and had fewer cravings. In fact despite usually having bad depression and anxiety during PMS I've been taken by surprise by my period a few times while eating this way.

Also it's normal to feel that way about food where you are on the timeline. I'm on my iPad and I need to get my kids to bed but if you google "whole 30 timeline" you can find it. Very helpful. Your appetite will come back.

Eating starchy carbs can help during PMS, especially before bed.

• Administrators

Haha, second what Beets just said about being surprised. After I read this post I went and checked my little Period Tracker app that I use and lo and behold, I should be getting my period tomorrow! No entire week of cravings, bitchy, massive bloat, exhaustion, near-divorce to warn me that it was coming!

Hang tight, MJBC!

Thanks ladies for your support! That makes me feel better knowing it can initially be worse. And actually, after that day, I began to feel a bit better, and did not start yet. We will see what the rest of the week brings.

I am actually having another issue that I posted about in another section, but didn't get any responses. So, I will put it to you knowledgable ladies. My digestion was pretty normal before the whole 30, some constipation prior to my cycles but otherwise fine. I did have my gallbladder removed 7 years ago, but haven't really experienced any difficulty. During this whole 30, however, it has been a different story. 3-4 days of constipation and then awful diarrhea. I am not experiencing trouble after eating, no gas or discomfort, except if i take the super enzymes, which are supposed to help!

I tried finding articles/threads on super enzymes causing more problems, but couldn't find anything. Any ideas or resources that you know of??

Archived