First Whole30 Log

Kat B.

I have taken the plunge and began my first-ever Whole30 yesterday, August 28th.

Let me start out by saying that I am so thankful that I signed up to receive the Whole30 Daily emails - the emails really contain the exact information that I want right now, this day with lots of helpful links to articles and information as well as some much-needed perspective into the realities of doing something like this. Reading my day 2 email this morning, there were two concepts that made me think and moved me to write this post here: 1) WHY am I doing a Whole 30? and 2) WHAT can I expect during this first, transitional week?

First, my WHY.

I learned about the Whole30 back in January of this year when one of my coworkers took it on as her New Year's Resolution. She decided to do this as a "kick-off" for her training for a 1/2 Ironman. I remember watching her come into our (normally treat-and-caffeine-laden) office with her asparagus, steaks, and sweet potatoes, putting coconut milk in her coffee, and thinking, "this seems crazy...who would do this?" Six months later, she successfully completed her race, despite frigid temperatures and howling wind. "Oh, maybe that's the kind of person who would do this."

A few months later, our boss began his own Whole30. He went totally cold-turkey on his former eating habits all in the name of getting in the best shape of his life. Now, 5 months later, he's lost over 20 pounds and about 6-7% body fat. Insane!

Now, myself.

What I took from watching my colleagues is that in order to successfully complete this 30 days, you have to have determination, will-power, and a goal. For some, it might be a particular event. For others, it's about making a more global life change. For me, I think it's more about proving to myself that I have the power to do this. Too often I make excuses for myself ("I'm too tired to get to the gym."; "I'm too sore to do these squat cleans."; "I really deserve this brownie because I work so hard.") and I end up blowing my goals, leaving me frustrated, disappointed, and with no one to blame but my bad self. I don't want to let myself down anymore.

So I guess this whole thing is really about more than changing my dietary habits - it's about changing my habitual "failure." It's interesting that the most challenging person we often deal with is ourselves!

2. Expectations.

According to the Whole30 Timeline, I can expect the next 2 days to be pretty terrible: headaches, fatigue, malaise, fogginess. However, for about 5 days before I officially began my Whole30, I attempted to eat as Whole30-compliant as possible, with only a couple of off-limit items in the mix. For example, I had a couple bites of some bread with lunch over the weekend. I enjoyed a Saturday night cocktail. There was agave nectar in my Monday morning coffee. I am hopeful that my efforts during my "pre-Whole30" will make the upcoming days a little bit easier.

The main lesson I took from today's email is to go easy on myself during this first week - things are going to get weird, my moods are going to fluctuate, and I might not be a bundle of energy. If I'm zonked, I don't have to push it. If I feel grumpy, that's normal. It is comforting to know that it's okay and expected to experience these things and is not a sign that I shouldn't be doing this.

Here goes!

Welcome! You will do awesome. You seem very intune with what is about to happen and you seem ready for a big change!

My only advice is to A. Have Fun & B. Stick with it!

There is a massive support group here and with the daily emails and ISWF you are all set for success.

Looking forward to your updates.

& I agree... very beautiful couple!

Thanks so much for the kind words! Totally made my day...and what an interesting day it was!

First, I felt like I had terrible seasonal allergies for most of the morning. I had bags under my eyes, my sinuses felt like I was under 15 feet of water, and I had a mild sore throat - the kind that you get when you're about to get sick. All of this was, at least, bearable.

I arrived at my office and quickly noticed that I was not exactly a ray of sunshine. I decided to keep myself holed up with my office door closed to avoid accidentally taking out the frustrations of losing my old pals, peanut butter and chocolate, on innocent bystanders. Good call.

By lunchtime I was feeling better. I enjoyed a lovely salmon salad topped with a rainbow of veggies and berries and even treated myself to one of those (outrageously priced) bottles of alkalized water. (On a side note, I love this water. Many years ago, a friend of mine's mother got a machine from Japan that makes this water and I've been hooked ever since. I have no idea whether it actually does anything for you, but it tastes great and I'm a sucker for water packaged in blue bottles!)

And then, there was 2 p.m.

"Holy apocalypse, what's happening to me?!" I didn't remember anyone coming into my office and covering me in molasses, but apparently it happened because I have never before felt so exhausted in every cell of my body. It was like I was moving in slow motion. I made another cup of coffee, but I noticed that without the cream and sugar, coffee really loses a lot of its stimulating effect! I chugged my fancy water, thinking that the fatigue was just demons leaving my body. That didn't help. I struggled to focus myself and at 3:45, woke up with my head on my desk, realizing that I had fallen dead asleep for about 30 minutes. Whoa.

Clearly my former habits were very much focused around giving myself an (artificial) energy boost during this mid afternoon time period. I anticipate this time of day being the most difficult, particularly here in Week 1. I am thankful that the long weekend is approaching I can ride out this Twilight Zone time when I'm not expected to be productive!

Day 3, here we go!

Day 3 was actually better for me than Day 2. I was a little bit tired and had some random muscle pains in places I haven't ever had pain, but other than that my mood was much better and it was an all-around better day. I normally go to the gym during the lunch hour and I didn't do that on Day 2, but I'm planning on it today. Hopefully, as you suggested, the physical activity will give me the boost to get over the afternoon slump!

Day 4

I am happy to report that the headaches and "out-of-it" feelings I experienced on Days 2 and 3 were much improved yesterday. I felt like I had more energy as well, albeit still not up to my pre-whole30 levels. I've been taking it very easy with my exercise routine and trying not to push it, giving my body a chance to adjust to all of the changes without adding the additional stress of intense physical activity.

There were a couple of moments, once around 3 pm and again around 9 pm when all I could think about was chocolate. I found myself standing in the break room at work (I was there to grab a water), staring at the container of m&m/nut trail mix. I grabbed a green apple instead and walked away. I know we are not supposed to give the sugar dragon sugar in any form, but I figured eating half an apple was a significantly better option than sneaking a few m&m's. Next week, my goal will be to just walk away, without my "fruit crutches." Baby steps!

I haven't missed grains or dairy at all (yet - I realize this may kick in next week). I have never been a huge dairy fan as I don't like the taste of milk and ice cream does a number on my digestive system. I all but eliminated cheeses from my diet a few years ago, so the only thing I really cut out for the whole30 is my greek yogurt. I was a little concerned that without my daily probiotics, my IBS would soon be rearing its ugly head, but surprisingly, I've only had one day (day 2) with major IBS symptoms. My grain-loving sister has been in town since I started the whole30 and there are all manner of breads, tortillas and oatmeal in my house right now, but I haven't even thought to have a bite. My sister has been transitioning from vegetarianism for the last 6-12 months (she's been veggie since she was about 7 years old) and naturally, her diet is still largely made up of legumes and grains. However, she does have a lot of digestive issues like stomach upset, bloating, etc. These are the same problems I had noticed in myself when I would eat a largely grain-based meal like pasta. We got to talking about the whole30 and she actually admitted that the grains she eats might be causing her problems - which I think is HUGE for someone in her position (step 1: admit you have a problem...). Maybe I'll be able to get her to try the whole30 for herself!

I also stumbled upon an interesting article on the 9 Blog about being a "stress junkie." Serendipitously, this occurred as I was about to tap into my 3rd (or 4th?) coffee of the day. I've always believed I was one of those people who worked better "under pressure" and juggling a million things at one time makes me feel productive and accomplished. However, as I read the article, it occurred to me that I am the one who creates much of the stress in my life. Certainly, there are times when my job is actually stressful (i.e. when I'm in trial, working on a large project, etc.) but most of the time, it's all in my head, so to speak. Being "wired" and near-manic doesn't mean I'm more engaged in and passionate about my work! I realize that my coffee consumption plays a big part in this stress cycle, so I know I need to quit the stuff. I am scared to go cold turkey for obvious reasons, but I wonder if doing so is better in the long run because you get the crappy part over with in less time?

Cheers to day 5!

Day 5

All in all, a great day. I went to CrossFit and while I wasn't feeling like an all-star, I also didn't feel so whooped that I couldn't get through the workout. Success!

I had adequate energy throughout the day with no "crash." I was absolutely starving when dinner rolled around. I ate at around 7pm, but was starving again at 9:30/10pm. I didn't eat anything and just decided to go to bed, but I woke up around 3:30am with my stomach growling. Whenever that happens, I have a tendency to feel a little nauseous, which I did, so I just drank some water and went back to bed. Definitely had breakfast first thing this morning. I just thought it was a little weird because my dinner consisted of 4-5 oz chicken breast and 1 cup of sweet potatoes on top of a heaping pile of spinach. I had a spoonful of unsweetened, all-natural almond butter for "dessert." I guess I should up my watery veggie content at dinner to keep myself feeling fuller - will try today.

I must say, you've got to love passing out as soon as you hit the pillow. No need to "wind-down" - it feels like my body's doing it for me. Pretty neat. Here goes Day 6....

I struggled to focus myself and at 3:45, woke up with my head on my desk, realizing that I had fallen dead asleep for about 30 minutes. Whoa.

Clearly my former habits were very much focused around giving myself an (artificial) energy boost during this mid afternoon time period. I anticipate this time of day being the most difficult, particularly here in Week 1.

You've made me glad to have started my Whole30 on a Saturday, rather than on a weekday...I was kind of regretting not being able to indulge in any of the sweet treats that will be taunting me at a kid's birthday party this afternoon and kicking myself for not just starting on Monday. But if I can get through these first couple of days, where human interaction will be at a minimum, maybe my work week will be more tolerable, come Tuesday!

Renee - thank you for the protein suggestion. I think us ladies aren't accustomed to having so much "meat" on our plates, so it can be more difficult to remember to eat enough protein at each meal!

Katie - the weekdays have definitely been harder for me than the weekend. The combination of boredom, productivity obligations, and available junk food at the office makes for a tough psychological hurdle. Good luck!

Day 7 here I go!

Day 8. Back at work. 3:19 pm. Agh!

I remember in high school physics, we learned that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. This apparently applies to the workplace. My action in starting the whole30 caused everyone else in my office and/or their spouses to start feverishly baking cookies and other treats. Thanks a lot universe! ;)

Must persevere...

I made it through Day 8 without caving or crashing, but MAN is that 3 pm time difficult for me! Can't wait to be out of the woods with that.

At my mid-day crossfit session, I was feeling pretty good. My trainer knows I'm doing the whole30, so when I got a little dizzy and lightheaded in the middle of my WOD, he reassured me that it's likely just my body getting used to switching over to a fat burning (as opposed to sugar burning) mode. He said that one's body isn't able to efficiently tap into the slow-burning fuel when used to getting its fill of easily accessible simple carbs. Part of the instigation for my taking the whole30 plunge was because, despite my fairly aggressive fitness regime, I haven't been losing any weight. My strength and endurance have improved tremendously over the last 2-3 months, but I don't feel that I've been getting any leaner. My trainer's comments yesterday made a lot of sense to me so we will see in about 21 days if he was right!

I've been cooking up a storm over the last week and I honestly love the easy recipes from ISWF and theclothesmakethegirl.com. Made my first batch of homemade mayo last night - so easy and delicious! I have never liked mayonnaise from the jar - my brain couldn't compute how something made from eggs and oil could be so white. On my first trip to Paris, there was no escaping it as the French love them some mayo on a salad, but I noticed how different this mayo was from the stuff back home: thinner, pale yellow in color, more tangy. That was about 7 years ago, but I never had the courage to try making the REAL stuff myself until now. I'm excited to try it tonight in Melissa Joulwan's "Deconstructed Hamburger Salad," which sounds like my ultimate food dream!

On the topic of recipes/food, I have a secret fear to confess. I started the whole30 the day my husband left town for a two-week trip. Why? His eating habits are god-awful! He's a professional athlete who spends 4-6 hours a day training, so he is able to eat pretty much whatever he wants. He also loves take-out. I know he would do himself a favor by eating Real Foods, but his dedication to his athletic pursuits is only matched by his stubbornness. I'm worried about returning to our old habits when he returns. I've learned to adapt my choices at take-out places and restaurants so as to avoid added mystery ingredients, sauces, sodium, and fat, but it gets pretty boring after a while (not to mention far more expensive than making something at home!). I need to come up with a plan to deal with this issue so that I can keep riding the success train! Time to brainstorm...

Ready for day 9!

Good luck with your husband returning. I know it would have been easier at times if my BF and I didn't live together. But maybe he will just enjoy the new foods you are making and not even miss some of the items you are no longer cooking with (Ie Dairy and grains)?!

Good for you on feeling the fat burn already! That is great news. Keep up the great work

Thank you Renee!

One thing I'm curious about are the afternoon/evening headaches I've been experiencing. They feel like a sinus headache - lots of pressure in my forehead and behind my eyes. Not sure if it's related to W30 or if it's just seasonal allergies, as I've heard that seasonal allergies often improve during this program. Thoughts?

Day 10 - double digits!

Wow. Just found out GT's Kombucha is W30 compliant - hooray! For some reason I just assumed it had some sugar added to it, but was pleasantly surprised when I read the label today. I did see that there are some flavors that contain chia seeds, which I assume are a no-no (grain?), but that's fine - the flavors I like are simply kombucha and fruit puree. Very excited to have a yummy probiotic back in my life and hoping that this will help with my IBS, which has been getting progressively worse over the last 2-3 days.

And seriously, "IBS" - and the quotations are there for a reason - sucks. You get the diagnosis, but no one knows how to treat it and it has so many variations. It's obviously more than just one medical problem. In the past, the advice I've been given has largely been to eat more fiber. While I've always eaten plenty of fiber (fruit, veg, whole grains), there's no question that I'm getting all the fiber I need now with the W30. No change in the IBS problem whatsoever. Pretty frustrating. I'm going to the gastroenterologist in a couple weeks, so I'm hopeful that I'm on a path to solving my digestive mystery...

Day 11...and feelin' fine :)

While my sinus headache is still lingering (I'm almost certain it's allergies at this point - will be taking an antihistamine tonight to test it), I feel like I've turned a corner with the afternoon fatigue! No crashing at 2-3 pm, just good, consistent energy throughout the day.

The thing that has surprised me the most so far is how much better I'm sleeping. For the last several months, I've battled a sleeplessness issue - no problems falling asleep but, for the life of me, I could not stay asleep all night. I'd wake up sometime between 3 and 5 am (sometimes earlier) with my mind racing and totally unable to go back to sleep. While I always set an alarm, I couldn't remember the last time I had actually woken up to it because I'd always beat it. I haven't had this problem since about day 3 of this W30 and it's SO AMAZING. I feel tired in the evening and ready for bed, without needing time to "wind down" and I've woken up feeling refreshed. You never realize the extent to which poor sleep is affecting you until you actually experience restful, quality sleep!

I have a challenge this evening: a social function with lots of vino and snacks. I'm planning to take a bottle of Kombucha and some sparkling water to keep me occupied, but I think keeping it an early evening is also a good idea. Wishing myself luck!

Kat, it sounds like you are off to a fantastic start! It really is amazing what good sleep will do for you, I didn't sleep well for most of my adult life and I've had the same experience as you with my whole 30. I sleep very very well.

And good luck with your husbands return. Does he know you have made this change? Hopefully you'll be able to stay compliant while allowing him to make whatever choices he needs to about food. And results matter to the people that care about us, so no doubt he will be supportive if he knows you are getting restful sleep:)

Just wanted to stop by and say hi and congrats on starting this new journey!

Two victories yesterday:

1) Did 6 real, unassisted pull-ups for the first time in my adult life! (With the giant, open blisters on my hands to prove it - unsexy hands = sexy shoulders :D ) I only started CF about 3 months ago, and I was nowhere near a pull-up. Nowhere. I could hardly believe it when I did one yesterday...then 5 more. It's an actual result that I could feel and experience. Hooray!

2) Successfully navigated the party last night. It's easy to avoid temptation when multiple people remark at how good you look and enthusiastically ask, "what are you doing?" I had the opportunity to tell a few of my friends about W30. Of course, there were a lot of skeptical comments ("what's wrong with beans?" "dairy is good for you!") but it wasn't all negative. I really felt good about what I'm doing! I actually think that talking about the program was helpful because it made everyone around me aware of what I was doing, so I didn't feel weird drinking my club soda, plus when you explain all the reasons why you're doing it, it reinforces my reasons for the good choices I've made and renders bad choices even more undesirable. I headed home at 11 - when you're not drinking, it allows you to feel "tiredness" and suddenly staying out late not only seemed unpleasant, but impossible!

This post seems a little self-congratulatory, but I've realized that you have to embrace the small victories during W30 ;)

I feel like I'm at that point in a long hike where you still have a little ways to go, but you can see the top - you know where you're going. Looking forward to the back side of the mountain!

Archived