Dry Mouth

I'm sure this has been covered already so I apologize but I did Google Whole 30 + dry mouth and didn't really get the answer. I am on day 8 of my first Whole30 and since day 2 I have had incredible dry mouth. I have never drank so much water in my life so I know I am not dehydrated (my dry skin and chapped lips and non existent anymore thanks to being so hydrated - yay!) so what gives? During my google search I learned that dry mouth is common which does make me feel better, but I'd like to know WHY this happens? Do I need to increase something (carbs?) decrease something? And no, I am not adding salt to anything (that seemed to be a common comment I saw when I googled). It's so so bothersome and I'm starting to go insane!!!!!

Along with why this happens, does anyone have any suggestions to help alleviate it? Water DOES NOT help. Like at all. Not even a little. 

Thank you in advance!!

• Moderators

To tell if you might need to increase or decrease something, we'd really need to know what you're eating, so if you could post a day or two's worth of meals, water consumption, and anything else that might be relevant (for instance, do you work out hard, are you taking prescriptions that might cause dry mouth as a side effect -- you don't have to tell us what they are, but check the side effects of any that you're taking), and we'll see if there's anything that stands out.  Also, how does what you're eating now compare to what you ate before? 

In general, do you eat at least one serving of starchy vegetables each day? If not, that's definitely some place to start. I'm not sure dry mouth is exactly what happens in ketosis, but it's worth considering -- usually you'd get more of a funny taste in your mouth, sort of metallic. 

And this may not be related at all, but the fact that you say you don't add salt to anything stands out to me -- we actually need some salt in our diets. I'm not sure not having any could cause a dry mouth, but if you've cut it out completely, you might end up with other problems down the road, so don't be afraid to add some. Don't go overboard with it, obviously, but salting your food to taste should be okay for most people.

Yesterday I had an omelette with onions, green peppers, & broccoli (I used 3 eggs). I wasn't hungry at lunch so I just ate an apple and a few cashews and for dinner I had sweet potato chili that I made and some blueberries. I'd say I drank close to 200 ounces of water (to be honest, I don't really track how much I drink). I am not taking any prescriptions or OTC medicines. How I am eating now is drastically different than I was eating before. Before was a total nightmare; carbs, sugars, processed crap ALL the time. This has been a total 180 for me! I do not work out (another goal I have for myself!) but I have gotten some exercise the last 2 days (just brisk walks). 

No, I do not have a starchy vegetable. I will make an effort to add one of those in each day!

I have been worried to add salt (to worsen the dry mouth issue!) but I'm relieved to know I can add a little here and there!

Archived