Day 12, Nursing, Feeling Much Worse than 1 Week Ago

I'm concerned I'm damaging my health by continuing the program.  I'd like to know if I'm on the verge of turning the corner...or getting much worse.  I'm on this program to heal my gut (SIBO and gastroparesis).  At 5'6", I (now) weigh 114 lbs, and I'm nursing.  I do not want to lose any weight.  I broke the rule and weighed myself because the weight loss during the first week concerned me.

On Day 5 I felt like I had fully recovered from the Day 2-3 "Hangover."  I had more energy and strength than I'd had since before I was pregnant.  However, by mid-day on Day 7, I felt a strange overly-excited sensation.  It was similar to having a panic attack except that I didn't have any mental triggers.  As such, I couldn't use any mental "tricks" to make it go away.  I measured my BP, fully expecting it to be too high (normal of a panic attack) and it was 84/44.  Several measurements have been taken since then to confirm by BP is sitting well below 90/60.  On Day 2, I had suffered low BP and near fainting spells all day, but expected to feel bad and never measured my BP.  I felt awful and only recovered after eating seaweed salad, thinking that the minerals/nutrients might counteract how I felt.  Although the ingredients do not list sugar, it's possible that there was some in the salad because it was so tasty.  If so, this has been my only slip.  I was concerned about hidden sugars, so when I ran out of the salad on Day 6 I did not buy any more.

However, as I mentioned above, by Day 7 my BP had dropped significantly and I keep waiting for it to normalize but it did not until today (somewhat)--I bought a different seaweed salad last night.  In the last 24 hours however, I have had several panic attacks and now a crying spell.  Again, neither of these seemed to spurred by actual thoughts/emotions...it almost seems physical.

I have no cravings for sugar and barely have an appetite for dinners (though I do eat my whole meal, as recommended).  However, I feel like I should drink Pedialyte or Gatorade.  I know this would take me off the program, but it's not craving-driven.  I've been ignoring my body's signals since the start of the program since we're taught that we can't trust them while they're making the metabolic switch, but at what point can I trust that it's telling me what I actually need?  This is definitely having both physical and mental ramifications, and I'm concerned that I'm getting much worse.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

• Moderators

Are you eating starchy vegetables every day -- maybe even every meal? Are you salting your food ? (you should be -- we need some salt in our diet) As a nursing mom, you really should be eating at least four meals a day, and probably snacks too. The three meals a day rule does not apply to nursing moms, you need lots and lots of food, including plenty of fat and plenty of starchy vegetables. I suspect you're probably undereating. (Also see this article about how not to lose weight on a Whole30.)

HOWEVER I am not a medical doctor and your low blood pressure sounds worrying -- you should definitely talk to a professional about that if it hasn't stabilized. You need to be healthy for your little one right now, and risking passing out from low blood pressure is definitely not healthy.

I'm eating a sweet potato nearly every day and I'm definitely adding salt...much more than I'd like to taste.  With SIBO, I'm not supposed to eat more than every 4 hours (preferably 5 hours) to allow for the cleansing waves in the stomach to clear out the bacteria in my small intestine.  For the first two meals each day, I've been eating 150% to 200% of what I'd normally eat...I think.  It's tough to say because I know I'm eating that much more protein (and carbs), but since I've taken out all the filler foods (grains, pasta, and bread) it's tough to compare.  I think that's why I'm not hungry at night...I'm so full!  I will try for 4 meals tomorrow and make sure I eat more sweet potato.  (I do eat a lot of veggies and fruit....I counted 13 different types one day, not including repeats.  The fruits were all low GI berries though.)

Earlier today, when I was in a full unexplained panic (I couldn't even watch TV or read, let alone work), I ate a banana at an off-time (i.e., snack)...within the first couple bites a wave of calm came over me.  It was more potent (and quick) than any prescription medication.  Unfortunately, I still felt anxious throughout the afternoon while driving (but not a full blow panic attack).  Bananas are a no-no per my GI, so I couldn't keep going to that well.  Could the mental symptoms be a result of my brain not getting enough glucose?  I think I was more anxious while driving because I was worried about my BP.

Thanks for the article.  I'll check it out!

• Administrators

I'm not a medical professional either but this all sounds like you are not getting nearly enough calories or carbs.  How's your fat intake? Fat will bring your calories up without putting huge volume into your stomach.  Cans or jars of olives and drinking cans of coconut milk. Avocado and drizzle oil over everything you are eating.

I would try to eat things with the highest density of nutrients, ie more starchy and cooked veggies instead of salads. 

Archived