Should I eat if I'm not hungry

MonMon

Normally, I eat no breakfast, other than coffee and water, then have lunch at 11am. Today had breakfast. Now it is almost 1pm and I'm still not hungry. My window for lunch is closing. Should I eat even if I'm not hungry? Should I eat a smaller breakfast?

No - you should eat.

You see eating 3 regular meals within 4-5 hours of each other helps regulate hormones. 

Also please note that coffee is an appetite suppressant.  So it is also very important that you do not have coffee before you eat a meal.

I think the situation matters.  If you're not feeling well, then I think the answer would be no...don't eat when you're not hungry.  But if you're not hungry because you're used to going long stretches without eating, or you're snacking, using an appetite suppressant (like coffee)...then the answer is yes, eat.  The goal is 3 meals/day.  My guess is that, if you don't eat your lunch, then by dinner you're be ravenous or after dinner, have to fight off a snack monster.  And I bet you'll find that, if you have dinner and then eat NOTHING else, pretty soon, you'll be truly hungry for breakfast...and then lunch...and dinner.

As Melissa would say, because....rules.

I can attest to what cinagain is saying. There are times I haven't had time to stop and eat OR I just haven't felt like it (and used "listening to my hunger signals" as an ill-placed excuse), and I tell you what - by the time I finally did eat, I inhaled my food and was hit by a huge snacking fit. No good. Now if I'm super busy I keep an eye on the clock and make it a point to eat at lunch time with no excuses.

Before discovering Whole30 I was exactly like you MonMon - your body will adapt. Just give it some time. ;)

Many thanks for the answers! I will move breakfast earlier, make sure it is within an hour of waking and will eat my lunch. I've been thinking of eliminating coffee anyway, so I'll give that a try as well. Thanks!

Archived