Making spicy food less hot!

Piranha1981

Hi

I accidentally used extra hot chilli powder in a beef chilli I made yesterday (the 'chocolate' chili recipe from Well Fed). Managed to eat a small portion in lettuce wraps topped with avocado but it was very challenging and I didn't really enjoy! I've made it before with normal chilli powder and loved it, so I am sure it is just I bought extra hot by mistake, then was very gung ho about sprinkling it in!

DH had his with rice, beans, cheese and sour cream on top and said it was fine like that. I have loads left and had been planning to use the leftovers for lunches but I don't think I can manage it again, especially if the chilli flavours develop any more... Any thoughts on how I might tone the spiciness down before I freeze it till I can have sour cream post whole30? I had thought about getting some compliant coconut yoghurt to dollop on top I know it's debatable whether it's ok for Whole30. Any other ideas?

In fact, more generally(not just with this chilli), I'd love some more ideas of things to eat alongside spicy foods that contrast. I have made a Thai curry where coconut milk helps to cool it, but it isn't really a flavour I want to introduce in, say, an Indian curry. Usually I would have it with rice and cucumber raita (yoghurt), but what herbs/veg/condiments do you think would go well with especially spicy food?

You could make a compliant riata to eat with your chilli, or a greek tzatziki - both would take away form the heat of the chilli without detracting from the flavour & both would be compliant....

I've always found that baked potatoes work well with spicy food, or just plain old mash. I made the chilli myself & had mixed root veg mash with mine, with a side of chopped vine tomatoes & a helping of sauerkraut. I quite liked the mix of flavours on the plate.

Hope you find something that works  :)

I haven't ever tried a compliant tzatziki as pre-whole30 I still ate dairy, but this one looks pretty good:

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/15/paleo-tzatziki-sauce/

Having spent my formative years in Greece & having learnt to cook there I'd swap the dill for fresh mint. I used to eat tzatziki with everything so I might give this a go myself - it's probably a good dish to add to my repertoire!

Archived