Whole 30 day 3

monica_k

I've been eating paleo since September of 2011 and manage to keep a pretty clean diet. Since Feb of 2011 I've lost 100 lbs, 60 of it before starting paleo. Wish I'd discovered paleo sooner - eating this way has made bigger changes than just the weight loss.

My biggest problem is cooking. I am happy to find a few favorites and stick with those, but my family

like's more variety. I also struggle with explaining how I eat, I live in Thailand and turning down rice is a bit

Ike snubbing your nose at it.

They do use peanuts here, but not like the Americanized versions and only to a few dishes. It's more like a seasoning and to add some texture, not a heavy flavor. In the states I thought Thai food and peanuts went hand and hand, but that's not the case.

• Moderators

My local Thai restaurant offers to substitute fresh spinach for rice. They have signs on the table! Rice probably provokes less of an inflammatory response in the body than other grains, but is high in calories relative to its nutritional contribution. I've asked for spinach instead of rice at other Thai restaurants and they thought I was crazy. I guess the one down the street from me is Whole30-friendly! When seeking to avoid rice, you might mention your efforts to lose or maintain your weight by way of explanation. And if you need more, you can say that every little bit helps, even the calories from rice.

I was eating most of my meals in restaurants before I began my Whole30 in May 2010. I had to teach myself to cook. I started posting my recipes and now have more than 300 online. Most of them are pretty simple.

Archived