Maux' Whole30 2015 (2nd try)

Maureen Boyle

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 18.  April 15, 2015

Breakfast: Silky Gingered Zucchini soup (mostly.  I didn't have onions).  Nut milk tea.

Lunch: [Jerry's Sandwich Shop] Hamburger patties w/lettuce, tomato, onion, side of fruit, olive relish.  Iced tea.

apple

Dinner: Chicken breast w/potato, sweet potato and sauerkraut

Exercise/Steps: 5,114

Day 19.  Thursday, April 16 2015

Breakfast: Silky Gingered Zucchini soup w/shredded beef.

2nd bowl - just soup.  Black tea.

Lunch: [Kopi Cafe] scrambled eggs w/lox, boiled potatoes.  raspberry black tea

Dinner: acorn squash stuffed with spinach, arugula, shredded beef, sauerkraut, almond pulp (getting rid of leftovers)

Exercise/Steps: ~ 2,000

Day 20.  Friday, April 17 2015

Weight 132.5

Breakfast: Sweet potato with filling from last night's acorn squash.  Black tea.

Lunch: last of the zucchini soup with one egg, the last of the shredded beef and half an avocado

a few walnuts and pistachios while I was packing

faux Crio Bru before we left

Dinner: [Midway Airport] Salad with mixed greens, salmon, olive oil, tomato, onion, pepper, cucumber, olives

Walnuts, almonds, pistachios on the plane

Exercise/Steps: ~9,000

Hiatus Day 1.  Saturday April 18, 2015

(131.5 lbs.  Yeah, I'm weighing in while I can.  I like data.)

On the way back from the airport, Bill's stepmother mentioned how there's so much food in the house because people bring food when they don't know what else to do.  There are definitely stacks of pre-packaged muffins and bags of bread rolls out on the counter.  Bill reheated a chicken breast last night (he hadn't eaten at the airport).  I was glad to know there were chicken breasts, but almost wanted to tell him to save them for me.  

I slept late, so I have the kitchen to myself right now.  It is slim pickings.  Maybe "slim" isn't the right word.  There are a lot of things (including the chicken breasts) in Bob Evans Restaurant containers. I found an unopened bag of pre-shredded vegetables, that I was going to take until I saw an opened bag of baby carrots.  There's half a squash of some sort back there too.  Maybe spaghetti?  Fingers crossed.

Breakfast: Chicken breast (from Bob Evans), sautéed baby carrots, apple, black tea

Lunch: Half a butternut squash, chicken breast

Pecans & pistachios from my luggage throughout the day

Dinner: Mashed potatoes

Exercise/Steps: very little

Hiatus Day 2, Sunday April 19 2015 

(132ish lbs.)

Breakfast: Half a butternut squash, mashed potatoes

2 black jelly beans before lunch after 3+ hours at a funeral home full of strangers

Lunch: Ham, potato salad, cole slaw

1 more black jelly bean after another 2 hours at funeral home

Dinner: several-hours-old breaded chicken tenders and broasted(?) potato wedges

apple

Exercise/Steps: ha.

I knocked about half of the breading off the chicken, but this was my first notable gluten.  I definitely had some stomach discomfort as I was going to sleep.

Hiatus Day 3.  Monday, April 20 2015

Breakfast: banana, black tea (not a lot of time - I spent most of the morning trying to unclog a toilet w/o a plunger.  :unsure: )

Lunch: [solomon's Restaurant] green salad w/ranch dressing, green beans, potato wedges, butter, beef; iced tea

nuts from my luggage

Dinner: bowl of mashed potatoes <- almost a stomach ache from fullness?

Exercise/Steps: 1,000 at 5:30 pm

Lunch after the funeral service was a buffet.  I filled nearly half my plate with salad, drizzled with a tiny bit of dressing, took a small scoop of potatoes then filled the rest of the plate with green beans.  I put two slices of beef on top of the beans.  The salad had some shredded cheese in it already, so skipping the dressing seemed disingenuous.  And the beef was SO dry.  If the salad had been dry too, I don't know how I would have gotten everything down.

5:30 p.m.  I'm so drained from two days of feeling like an interloper at a funeral that I just want to lash out and eat something sweet.  But I can't actually think of something that wouldn't be hugely disappointing and dissatisfying.  If I was at home, I might make a coconut milk hot cocoa, but the idea of making an instant packet cocoa at Bill's parents house just sounds gross.

Hiatus Day 4.  Tuesday, April 21 2015 

(134 lbs.)

Breakfast: Mashed potatoes, baby carrots.  Handful of pistachios (nuts are gone now)

Second Breakfast: [Denny's] Ultimate Skillet, w/o cheese

Lunch: Breaded chicken tenders, potato wedges (from Sunday)

Dinner: [Max & Irma's] Hamburger patty w/lettuce, tomato onion over green salad w/small amount of ranch dressing

Exercise/Steps: 496 at 4:40 pm

(I'm so burned out about being here.  I can't wait to shop and cook for myself again!!!)

Hiatus Day 5.  Wednesday, April 22 2015.  Back home at 2 pm

Breakfast: Bowl of mashed potatoes

Lunch: [salaam] Pickled turnips, olives, small amount of hummus. Beef shawerma, side salad, small amount of rice. One falafel. 

Two faux crio brus.

Dinner: <-- didn't get to the grocery store.

Exercise/Steps: 3,953 steps at 10:30 pm.

Hiatus Day 6.  Thursday, April 23.  134 lbs. 

Breakfast: Beef and rice leftovers from Salaam.  (Not a lot of food.)

Lunch: Sweet potato and broccoli stems sautéed in chicken stock and fat.

Coconut milk with cocoa

Dinner: [The Edge] Corned Beef Hash skillet

Exercise/Steps: 7800 steps

Hiatus Days 7-9.  Friday, April 24 - Sunday, April 26 2015.

I haven't taken notes, so I'm working from memory as of Monday morning.  

I've been pretty careless about combining coconut milk, cocoa and hot water to make a tasty beverage.  Once I got to Michiana, that became drinking chocolate (70% cacao with added sugar) and I threw a little booze in there. I drank two tequila sodas Friday night too. I was missing the inhibition-lowering effects of alcohol.  I tend to be pretty uptight.

Friday night, I ordered Bibimbap from Small's BBQ when I realized we'd be at the bar later than I expected.  [bBQ beef brisket, soy/maple/sesame glaze, assorted vegetables, steamed rice, fried egg, kimchi, pickled daikon, korean chili paste.]

Saturday morning, I was in a bad mood.  I didn't feel hung over, but I was mad at my bf for keeping us out too late (or something) and I REALLY wanted to eat my feelings as I was heading to the train to my friend's cabin.  I almost went to Metropolis Coffee for some expensive pastry or coffee drink, but it was too crowded.  I knew I wouldn't get something gross at Starbucks, so that's a relief at least.  I ended up buying a Caveman brand paleo bar - dark chocolate cherry nut.  It wasn't great, but I felt like I was making a statement without harming myself too much.  

I brought some groceries to the cabin and I didn't eat too many off-plan things.  There were chocolate flavored Oreos and I had one just out of curiosity.  I took a bite and left the rest on my napkin, then I worried that I was calling attention to myself, so I ate the rest of it.  I should have just walked to the kitchen and thrown it out.  However, this may be the first time in my life I ate a single Oreo without wanting more.  Over the course of about 30 hours, I also ate a few small pieces of Canadian Cadbury chocolate (2 squares of Aero, 2 of CaraMilk and one chocolate button), 'cause I knew I wouldn't have the opportunity again anytime soon.

Saturday dinner was a large amount of roasted vegetables with a chicken sausage.  With a side of fruit salad.  Sunday brunch was leftover vegetables in a frittata with a lot of cheese.  I added lamb, but then I also had a veggie sausage with apple butter on a homemade biscuit.  

When I got home Sunday, I made mashed potatoes with butter and coconut milk.  

Day 1!  Monday, April 27, 2015.  (137 lbs., but I forgot to weigh in until after breakfast.)

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with sautéed kale and chicken stock.  Black tea.

Lunch: Large bowl of broccoli microwaved w/chicken stock, coconut milk, chorizo.  Potato.

(Quarter can of coconut milk w/spoonful of cocoa stirred in. I blame my period.)

Dinner: [burger Bar] Salad with grass fed burger patty!!!

Exercise/Steps: ~4,000

Day 2.  Tuesday, April 28

Breakfast: sauteed kale and potatoes with 3 scrambled eggs

Lunch: potato cauliflower soup with chicken stock and cilantro

misc. nuts, coconut milk cocoa drink - I was so hungry when I got home from work.

Dinner: cauliflower with sardines and half an avocado

several coconut milk cocoa drinks.  I've been so good otherwise!

Exercise/Steps: 6,238 at 10:50 pm

Day 3, Wednesday, April 29

Breakfast: several cold brewed coffees w/coconut milk, wedge of frittata w/c milk, peppers, carrots, onion

Lunch: sweet potato with spicy sardines, onions, carrots.  coffee w/c milk (&cocoa) to kill the spicy sardine taste

Dinner: (badly roasted) chicken with brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes

Exercise/Steps: ~5000?

Day 4.  Thursday, April 30

Breakfast: Cold brewed coffee w/mixed* nut milk

Leftover brussels sprouts w/chicken jus, last of the sardines, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut

more coffee w/milk

Meal 2: small amount of chicken cooked in coconut milk, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, LOTS of broccoli

Cocoa/nut milk

Exercise/Steps: 3400 at 6:15 pm.

*brazils, hazels, macadamias, cashews.  Wishing I had a Vitamix.

Day 5.  Friday, May 1

Breakfast: Frittatta?  With chicken leftovers and saurkraut?

Lunch: Broccoli, chicken, sauerkraut and acorn squash?

nuts

Dinner: [boston Blackies] Burger with onions, mushrooms, side salad

[showplace Icon Theater] Olives

Exercise/Steps:

Day 6.  Saturday, May 2

Breakfast: acorn squash with...?

tea w/nut milk

Lunch1: potaotes cooked in chicken gravy

Lunch 2: soup of broccoli, celery, potatoes and last of chicken leftovers 

handful of nuts.  (bored, fidgety)

Dinner: half a bowl of soup with a scoop of chili?

Exercise/Steps: <3,000

Day 7.  Sunday, May 3

Breakfast: Soup.  Two teas with nut milk.

Lunch: Eggs, sauerkraut, sweet potatoes

Cocoa nut milk.   (It was starting to go bad.)

Dinner: Chili over a baked potato with avocado.  Potato with sauteed celery

Exercise/Steps: ~4,000

A smoothie???  Perish the thought!  (That would just be asking for trouble from the Milkshake Dragon.)

The Vitamix would be for nut milk.  An expensive device for turning expensive ingredients into something I don't actually need.  I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Day 8.  Monday, May 4

Breakfast: One scrambled egg with chili and half an avocado.  Small potato with sautéed carrot.  Black tea.

Lunch: Last of the mediocre soup with (blanched and sauteed) turnip green stems

Dinner: [Nookies Tree] Scrambled eggs w/chicken breast, avocado, pico de gallo

Exercise/Steps: ~4000?

Day 9.  Tuesday, May 5

Breakfast: Chili w/zucchini noodles (10:30.  May need to eat again before work.)  

Lunch: a handful of nuts before work

Dinner: small baked potato, turnip greens and anchovies with cauliflower mash, garlic/jalapeno stuffed olives, cashews

coconut cocoa drink

Exercise/Steps: 3300 at 9pm

Day 10.  Wednesday, May 6

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with swiss chard and avocado.  Black tea w/almond milk.

Lunch: small baked potato with tuna salad (tuna, mayo, pickle, 2 stuffed olives)

Dinner: 2 chicken drumsticks, colcannon, brussels sprouts

Exercise/Steps: >5,000

Archived