A question on cardio (running, hockey, etc)

Sorry for 2 questions in one day.  I did a search here for running but it pulled up every post that someone named runnergirl? has posted in.  haha!  

Anyway - I read as part of a comment somewhere in some other post that running can be hard on Whole30.  I guess because maybe there isn't enough energy being consumed for your body to use to run?  Is this so?  It came up as a topic yesterday because my husband, who plays deck hockey twice a week, says he feels like he is in quicksand when he's playing... it's very anaerobic and he can't muster the energy like before.  It made me think maybe we should be doing something extra before cardio (me running, him hockey).  I thought - maybe we should have a sweet potato before our activity?  Or do you recommend something else?  We see the pre workout meals include protein and fat.  But no carb.  Carb comes after.  That's what I do when I go to the  gym for strength training - and I am totally fine.  I haven't started back running yet since starting Whole30 but the plan is to do so starting today (warmer, not buried in snow, etc).  

Look forward to your thoughts!  Thanks ahead of time!  :)

• Moderators

We answer this question all the time...  :o

The first few weeks of doing a Whole30 sucks for aerobic performance. You can't do anything to escape that reality. As you begin a Whole30, your body is learning to burn fat efficiently and not be so dependent on sugar. It takes as long as it takes. Some people adjust in a few weeks. Some people take longer. Your legs often feel like they are made of lead during the transition period. You tend to feel tired. 

An athlete should not start a Whole30 at a time that they need to be competitive. After your body makes the transition, energy levels rise and performance improves to previous performance levels or better. 

Note: We know it is logical to think that eating a sweet potato before working out will fuel your workout. It won't. It will, however, put you at risk of digestive distress by adding fiber before intense exercise. It is important to eat sweet potatoes or other starchy veggies during a Whole30, but not before exercise. Eat them as part of your post-workout routine. 

I think it took me a couple weeks to not feel like my legs were made of lead while running. By day 15 (or was it 16?) I was good. 

Personally, I have a really hard time eating prior to working out, partly because I go to the gym at 5 am and partially because it upsets my tummy.  I tried to gag down a boiled egg one morning and it just wasn't worth it to me so I've been going without eating and once that two week initial dragfest passed I've been okay. I know that's not recommended, but I feel like it's what's best for me. Generally I run about 40 minutes, then 20 minutes of lifting weights. I do make sure to have some good carbs the evening before and that I'm fully hydrated.  Since it's spring and I can start running outdoors again I'll likely try to eat beforehand once my runs get longer, and once that happens I imagine I'll be trying to gag down more boiled eggs. :) 

Good luck. 

Archived