Day 3: headache, dizzy, nauseous, light-headed with a crying 9 month old...is it worth it?

cdent

I'm only on day 3 of my first Whole30 and I'm really feeling terrible!  I have read that this is normal.  However, I am concerned.  I understand that my body is beginning a type of detox from processed foods.  I have a 9 month old very active daughter and to be honest, I feel awful and like a terrible parent.  Right now I'm forcing her to sit on the floor of our kitchen in the Bumbo while I sit next to her on the floor and type this and eat a microwaved sweet potato with coconut oil and unsweetened coconut flakes (after having my husband run to the kitchen while I was still in bed this morning and get me some strawberries, macadamia nuts, and a hard boiled egg because I thought I was going to pass out).  My daughter is crying because I'm not holding her or paying attention to her and I literally feel like I'm in my own personal hell.  I already called my husband crying because I thought I was going to drop her while I was taking her upstairs.  So while I understand that this is what I signed up for...the physical manifestations are hitting me so hard and I'm feeling like it is not worth it seeing as how I've basically ignored my baby this morning and am feeling fairly incapable of taking care of the both of us.  Also, I'm still breastfeeding and absolutely do not want the Whole30 to affect that (it hasn't so far).  Anybody care to wager as I close my computer and try to calm my screaming child without have a complete meltdown myself?

sounds like you might benefit from posting your food logs for the past couple days. Often when we first start we underestimate the amount of food, particularly protein and carbs, we're consuming.

I remember the baby days, they are all consuming. My son is now nearing 11. Nursing takes a lot out of you, though I believe it is more than worth it, we had a long and happy nursing relationship.

Only you can decide if this is the right time to tackle your relationship with food. Why did you start a w30 in the first place? It helps to consider motivation And goals. The 1st few days can be rough especially if you're transitioning from a less than nutritious diet. But it does get better.

Take a deep breath.  Okay maybe that won't help.  But try to relax a bit.

Doing a whole 30 while breastfeeding a little one is a pretty large undertaking.  But you are doing a good thing for both you and your baby.

Feeling the way you do is pretty normal for the timeline - however dealing with a child who also having a meltdown - is pretty hard.

My guess here - is that you are probably not eating enough.  Remember that you are still eating for 2 people.  So 3 big meals + 2 snacks or 4 large meals is completely advisable.  Eating enough will probably help for both you and your baby.

Please post a couple of days worth of meals here (along with approximate portion sizes) so we can help you make sure that you are eating enough. 

Do you own a slow cooker?  They are excellent if you want to minimize prep time but maximize a meal.

Chicken thighs sprinkled with salt pepper and spices take 5 minutes to do and throw in the oven for half hour and there done.  Same with whole chickens.

If you have any amount of time roast a whole bunch of veggies for the week.  If you cut up one onion - might as well as cut up 2 more and put it in containers.

Cook ground meat with seasonings and then make things with it. Look up the clothes make the girl website - Hotplates.  There are dozens of ideas here for quick meals.

It will take some time to adjust.  But there are things that can be done to make your life easier.

Thanks for the fast responses.  Here is what I have eaten so far (trying to guesstimate my portion sizes...)

Day 1:

Meal 1:  two egg muffins (each muffin had 1 egg, cut up chicken sausage, spinach, mushrooms), 1/4 avocado (mine are very large)

Meal 2:  1 can tuna, large (maybe 2 handfuls) of spinach, 1/4 avocado, 5-6 cherry tomatoes, EVOO, balsamic S&P, small sweet potato with coconut oil and unsweetened shredded coconut, 5-6 macadamia nuts, 5 olives

Meal 3:  pork butt (slow cooker with apples and onions, pureed them to make a sauce) about a palm size portion fairly well slathered with sauce, roasted sweet potatoes with olive oil S&P (probably two my size-small-handfuls), salad sized plate full of baby carrots and snap peas (raw)

Day 2:

Meal 1:  3 scrambled eggs with 1/3 of zucchini, 1 mushrooms, 1 green onion, 1/4 avocado, a few small slices of sundried tomatoes, leftover sweet potatoes (smaller portion, one handful), decaf coffee with 3-4 Tbsp homemade almond milk (the recipe I used made about a quart and included 2 dates in the mixture)

Meal 2:  same as Day 1 but had leftover sweet potatoes (added some coconut oil and cinnamon) smaller portion one handful, 4-5 macadamia nuts

Meal 3:  leftover pork and sauce (approx same portion size), raw carrots/snap peas, cauliflower mash (one small head with 1 Tbsp ghee split between my husband and I--didn't eat my whole portion), 4-5 macadamia nuts

Snacks:  throughout the day I had some more macadamia nuts (prob about 5) maybe 2-3 times during the day; also after dinner I had half an apple with about 1 Tbsp almond butter (we eat dinner together as a family pretty early...5-5:30pm so I was feeling hungry an hour and a half later)

Day 3 (today):

...well I wouldn't say this is meal 1 but about 45 minutes after I woke up I had about 5 strawberries, 4-5 macadmia nuts, a hard boiled egg, and a small fruit bar from Trader Joe's (contains apple and strawberry only, I think they're about 90 calories...I can't remember)), then about an hour later had a smallish sweet potato with coconut oil and shredded unsweetened coconut

Meal 1:  it's about 10:25am now and I just finished eating two scrambled eggs with half a zucchini, sundried tomatoes, and 1/4 avocado, small handful of blueberries, about 5 strawberries, and I have about 8-10 macadamia nuts sitting on my plate.

I decided to do Whole30 because I really really love food but really really hate the food industry in America.  When I started feeding my daughter solids I took a good hard look at food and have been so tedious and strict about what I feed her (basically she's on the Whole30 before I started!) and I just feel like I want to incorporate that for my entire family.  I agree that so many maladies can be resolved with better eating habits and want to feel happy and healthy and energetic.  And it can't hurt with helping the last of the baby weight :)

I nurse my daughter 3 main times throughout the day (when she wakes in the morning and after naps) and then a little here and there (on demand...mostly for comfort, not nutrition).

Thank you again for any helpful tips, feedback, wisdom, and support.  I'm so thankful for this community.

One thing that jumps out is that that's a lot of nuts and nut butter.  Those can be very irritating to the stomach, which could have contributed to this morning's stomach woes.  I know it's a convenient thing to grab between meals but you might want to try to reach for something else.  Maybe a hard boiled egg with some compliant mayo-easy to make yourself if you haven't tried-and some precut vegetables.  That's where the meal prep comes in really handy.  Having cooked chicken breast, hard boiled eggs, pre steamed kale, pre cut veggies, etc., is a sanity saver.

Even with nursing less frequently you might need more food.  Is there a time during the day when you find yourself more hungry?  Could you plan for a mini meal then instead of snacking on fruit and/or nuts?  I know it's hard with a 9 month old, they demand a lot of time and energy-good thing they're so darn cute huh?!  You're tired already from the demands and then you change your food sources and feel even more tired.  Not much you can do about the former until they go off to college, but the latter can resolve with time and patience.

Make sure you're drinking enough water throughout the day too, dehydration can be a big problem

You just need to eat more. Eat four FULL meals per day featuring the following:

1-2 palm-size portions of protein (aim for 2)

1-2 thumb-size OR MORE portions of fat (aim for OR MORE)

2-4 cups of veggies. Include starchy veggies lots.

During the day, you can also sip on a can of compliant coconut milk for even more fat.

Eat, eat, eat. Then eat some more. You're feeding yourself and making milk. You just gotta gotta gotta eat.

Archived