Ketosis

I am on Day 19 and a couple of days ago, I started having a very salty taste in my mouth, pretty much all day. It is nothing too disruptive but very noticeable. I did a little online sleuthing and found that I may have put my body in a state of ketosis by following the Whole30. Ketosis doesn't necessarily seem like a bad thing and may actually be very beneficial for weight loss. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon. "It Starts with Food" or the Whole30 website doesn't seem to mention anything about ketosis, although it seems like a logical outcome that many might encounter. I'd love to hear any technical analysis or just general experiences (good, bad, or otherwise).

Ketosis is not an inevitable result of the whole30, but it is possible, especially if you have limited starchy carbs.

Personally I prefer to avoid Ketosis because I find that level of carb intake does not support my hormones or my moods very well. if I notice symptoms of ketosis, I take it as a sign to include more starchy vegetables over the next day or two. If you find you do well in ketosis, there are benefits, just be watchful to make sure those benefits outweigh any negatives you may be experiencing.

Archived