Using pre wo meal for meal one

kim calder

I'm on day 22 and am wondering if i wake at 7, eat meal 1 at 8 and then wo at Crossfit at 9:30 if that meal 1 can be my pre wo meal consisting of protein and fat or should I treat it as a regular meal 1 and follow the template of protein, vegetables and fat?

• Moderators

With an 90 minutes to digest before CrossFit, you should treat it more like meal 1 and include some veggies in your meal. At least experiment with this. I frequently train with kettlebells 60 minutes after eating 3 jumbo eggs and a big serving of cold sauerkraut. 

Ok Tom. Will experiment. Have been doing the true meal 1 with veges and it's been ok just have to force myself to get the veges in so that's been the challenge. I'm fine with veges any other time of day but in morning it's real tough especially since I'm not really hungry. Today I actually tried just the protein and fat. I had two scrambled eggs cooked in 1 tsp of ghee and some green and black olives. Curious to see if I feel any different during clss

So I felt AMAZING today at Crossfit. It was a very hard wo today and I did not run out of energy...on the contrary I actually got a burst towards the end and was able to kick it up a notch a go real hard with no break. I had asked you last week, not sure if u remember about what I was possibly doing wrong bc I felt like I was running out of fuel towards middle to 3/4 way through and you guys suggested eating a carb dense vegetable once a day even though I expressed my desire to lose body fat. So idk if it was the plantains I had last night for dinner or was the breakfast I tweaked having no veggies just 2 scrambled eggs Cooked in 1 tsp ghee and a handful of olives?? Thoughts...

I'm going to wager a guess that this is a combination of adding some much needed starchy vegetables and just where you are with the program. The pre-workout meal is really an optional thing that is meant to make sure you get food before your workout if it is first thing in the am or a long time after your last meal and the reason it is protein and fat is you don't want to have a starchy vegetable or fruit still digesting while you workout as that will keep you from tapping into your energy stores. Having non-starchy vegetables with a true meal 1 (2 eggs isn't enough protein unless you have child sized hands) with plenty of time to digest it before your workout shouldn't negatively effect your performance at all.  

Archived