Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi every one :)

Day 4 done and dusted for me, feeling good food wise and a little less foggy than I normally do on a Monday night. Very (pleasantly) surprised I haven't been hit by any sugar cravings, yet. I went on a bit of a chocolate Easter bender in the week before I started so was fully expecting to pay badly.

How is every one else feeling? Noticing any changes yet?

Karen - I have done the "lick food of your finger without thinking then frantic spit/rinse mouth" thing a few times. They say is ISWF no cheating, not one lick of the mixing spoon so I don't think it is overkill. Such a hard habit to break though, especially since half the time you do it without even thinking.

Hi everyone!

I'm back and still with you all here on day 7!!  HOORAY for all of us.

LOVE this forum.  You all are awesome to support each other so well...and I will try to do better but was having trouble logging on from my home computer over the weekend.

I'm doing great - still a bit too thick in the middle, but feeling strong and clear.  This morning for breakfast I am having (at my desk - don't tell Dallas and Melissa) some beef soup I made last week over a couple handfuls of spinach.  Made a great stir fry over the weekend of shrimp, asparagus, snap peas, ginger and garlic - did NOT miss the rice at all, although i had to do a bit of kitchen yoga myself to get around not using sesame oil, soy sauce, or the fish or oyster sauces in my fridge - which both contain sugar....I know there are sugar free brands - just haven't gotten that far yet.

So CHEERS to everyone!  Keep on keepin' on.

Day 5 today and struggling with sugar cravings, I keep dreaming about sweet popcorn and diving headfirst into a packet of mini eggs. Doesn't help that all the chocolate is on sale post-easter. I also have this strange sensation in my stomach that feels like I have something stuck there, it's quite annoying and not sure what is really causing it. I take digestive enzymes so don't really think it is undigested meat...odd. 

Still sticking to the plan though and we'll see how it develops!

Well done everyone for staying strong!

Hey, just read the daily email - boy, they are REALLY worth it....especially since my audiobook version of ISWF seems to be having seizures - maybe since I am on my third or fourth time through it??

Anyway, perhaps it is just the season of allergens here in Virginia, but I am sensing a big body iflammatory response - aching joints (selected ones), a flare up of herpes, and sinus pressure.  I confess I have been off most of my meds this past week - trying to see if the W30 will really make me healthy enough to avoid the meds...and not wanting anything prescription to interfere with the goodies I am getting from this way of eating...

As for the body pains, it is Spring, and I am doing more outside, etc....and I am 63...anyone else feeling anything like this?

Evening everyone!

I've been catching up with everyone else's posts via the alert system at the top of the page. It sounds like most people have been coping well, even with sugar cravings - gm20 keep it up!

I'm pleased to be ticking off a completed day 6 - and the only thing I've missed is mayonnaise on my lunch today. I've made my own in the far distant past so it's probably time to dig out a recipe.

Mergthemagnificent - I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you pay for the daily emails? Thanks in advance.

Hi all, writing from Scottsdale, AZ where I'm on day 4 of Whole30 and day 2 of a business conference. I appreciate the advice provided on travel success, and so far no slips. I'm staying at a hotel that provides free wine every day at 5:00 pm and ignoring that the first day was tough. I'm just taking it meal by meal and focusing on protein and vegetables. This morning the conference provided continental breakfast but there weren't any protein options, so I shifted to plan B. My husband is traveling with me and he was waiting for me in the restaurant where I ordered eggs, veggies and avocado. Last night we went to an Italian restaurant and I ordered meat sauce over a vegetable medley instead of pasta. It was fabulous. Today lunch was oysters, steak and veggies. I admit it is pretty excruciating watching hubby eat a cheesy French onion soup, but it is so worth it to me. Reading your experiences is really, really helpful.

Hi everyone- Day 7 for me wow the week has spun by. I have had some challenges. The main one is that during the week I am up at 6 eat at 7 and then noonish and then my husband does not usually get home until quite late so we are not ready to eat unti 7pm. I'm usually really hungry by 4-5 so I'been having a bowl of bone broth to tide myself over. I figure at least it's not nuts or nutbutter because the late afternoon is a hard time. On the weekend we were both eating dinner around 5:30 and didn't need the bone broth.

I'm feeling pretty good I must admit but there are times in the afternoon when I'm really tired- which is never usually a problem for me. I've been fairly active- going for my usual long walks and did a homemade weight lifting circuit in my living room on Sunday.

Giving my best to everyone here!! You are all awesome for doing this!

Hi all.... so glad to hear that everyone is hanging in there (and even on a business trip!...way to go Vance!)  

Tulip, I made mayo for the first time in my life this week.  Dang and double dang... it is delish!  and really not that hard... but I took it to heart when they said to drizzle the oil in super slowly and it took a loooong time.  but the result was worth it...super thick, creamy, tasty mayo. :)

Just finishing day 6... and am feeling pretty good.  I was really tired today, but am doing just fine with appetite and food choices.  Going to bed early tonight and hoping to have a little more energy tomorrow.

Well done, Vance! Your food sounds delish and you appear to be enjoying feeling good about making the right choices :)

Thanks for the mayo recipe, Laura. I will definitely try it. Salads are a little lacklustre at the moment, although I do try to cheer them up with some homemade vinaigrette.

And good morning lo-lo55 - I'm just finishing my breakfast of omelette and avocado with watercress at the start of day 7. I haven't had any energy slumps yet but I'm waiting!

Have a great day everyone!

So I cursed myself yesterday when I said i had not had any sugar cravings. 1 partially eaten chocolate bunny on the table and another one looking at me in the fridge and my sugar dragon roaring it's head off. I was never going to lose a fight to a pair of bunnies but I did look seriously at the coconut almond choc spread I have in the pantry. It is compliant but not really in the spirit of what I am trying the achieve here. So I put the kettle on and made a pot of herbal tea, hid the other bunny in the fridge with his mate and tried not to think about it. :) stupid dragon, you lost this one.

Vance - i am so impressed you are doing this while travelling, and saying no to free wine!!! Your food sounds yum. I had pasta sauce over brocolli and cauli last night too (while every one else are my MIL's home made pasta, sigh). Didn't feel too deprived.

The mayo recipe is yum. I haven't bought mayo for over a year, it just doesn't taste nice any more.

Just heading to bed on day 5 here. Goodnight whole30ers :)

Guest ABurkett

https://instagram.com/p/1bnnOBIlZX/

I like to share Melissa's Instagram posts. I shared one a few days ago too.

Did anyone get the email Merge mentioned??

I'm doing ok on my journey, but honestly I've had a few binges the last couple of days. I'm feeling pretty down about it. All whole30 compliant but still. This is a terrible nagging habit im trying to break. And I will keep trying.

The binge demon usually gets me when I'm tired and haven't had enough rest. I do my best to get to bed on time but working late at night often prevents that and my body wakes me between 6 and 7 every morning regardless if I want to or not.

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to address some concerns about my extreme fatigue, (which has increased in the last 6 months) body aches, cystic acne, and increased appetite. I tried to find a doc who practices non conventional medicine who was also is covered under my insurance. This is such a hard task, as many doctors who practice integrative and holistic medicine don't accept insurance and charge hefty fees.

This doctor I'm meeting with tomorrow was listed on the intergrative and holistic medicine site so hopefully I can get some answers!

I'm SO happy to know that you all are doing so well!

Evening everyone!

I've been catching up with everyone else's posts via the alert system at the top of the page. It sounds like most people have been coping well, even with sugar cravings - gm20 keep it up!

I'm pleased to be ticking off a completed day 6 - and the only thing I've missed is mayonnaise on my lunch today. I've made my own in the far distant past so it's probably time to dig out a recipe.

Mergthemagnificent - I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you pay for the daily emails? Thanks in advance.

Yes, Tulip, I do....and they are worth it....at least so far!

Hi everyone- Day 7 for me wow the week has spun by. I have had some challenges. The main one is that during the week I am up at 6 eat at 7 and then noonish and then my husband does not usually get home until quite late so we are not ready to eat unti 7pm. I'm usually really hungry by 4-5 so I'been having a bowl of bone broth to tide myself over. I figure at least it's not nuts or nutbutter because the late afternoon is a hard time. On the weekend we were both eating dinner around 5:30 and didn't need the bone broth.

I'm feeling pretty good I must admit but there are times in the afternoon when I'm really tired- which is never usually a problem for me. I've been fairly active- going for my usual long walks and did a homemade weight lifting circuit in my living room on Sunday.

Giving my best to everyone here!! You are all awesome for doing this!

Hey everyone,  I went to a session last week on midlife health for women, and the nutritionist there said "Plan for the Transitions" - by that she meant, plan a specific food or treat for the times of the day when you know you will be craving...like, for me, a BIG transition time is right when I get home from work and before I start preparing dinner.  L:ast night, a can of LaCroix took care of that...but some nights I have to make tea...or, in real emergencies, my favorite pure cocoa hot chocolate with coconut milk - but I am trying not to do too much of that because it became a bit of a habit during my last attempt to make it through.

Vance:  You're a STAR!!  Eating out is HARD on the W3 - and at a work conference, wow....donut city.  If you can get through that and just get home where you are in control of your food a bit more, then you will have this nailed!

Tulip:  I put all KINDS of stuff in my salads: artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, blueberries, strawberries, olives, peaches...and then whatever protein source I have that is already cooked...

ABurkett:  GOOD FOR YOU for seeking out a doctor who might help you.  Have you read ISWF?  The book sure implies that all sorts of ills such as the ones you are dancing with right now can be addressed or minimized by the Whole 30.  I hope you find that to be true.  Don't be TOO hard on yourself about the binge eating of compliant foods.  It is really important that you not be hungry - I'd prioritize that over worrying about binge eating right now.  Get through the 30 days first and see if it helps some of your core conditions....then do another Whole 30 or 14 or 7 to address the binge eating.  Rome was NOT built in a day.  You've got this!

Merg - bone broth isn't necessarily gelatinous, I think you can get gelatinous versions but the ones I have always made myself (in the slow cooker) are just clear liquid! For example you can just put a whole chicken in a slow cooker with water and onions and carrots and leave it there for 8 hours, I also did this on the stove before I bought a slow cooker but more stressful since you actually have to watch it! It's very easy to make - just takes time!

ABurkett - I always think it is a good idea to seek out professional advice, even if it is just for peace of mind. It can help you make decisions and battle through things! 

Everyone is doing so well :) Still fighting the sugar demon, but otherwise the rest is okay at the moment - I was a bit tired this afternoon but I think that is because I didn't eat enough protein at lunch! Now just sipping on some Kombucha to tide me over the afternoon chocolate cravings!

Bone Broth is a completely different thing than throwing a chicken in the pot.  It's made with bones.  Bone Broth takes about 24-36 hours for the best possible results.   The bones are roasted in the oven before making the broth.  It's why it's almost  $9/cup in NYC.

brodo_menu-copy.png?resize=555%2C826

The Best Bones for Bone Broth

The best bone broth uses a mix of different bones: large, nutrient-rich beef or pork bones, as well as some smaller meaty cuts so your broth has some flavor. I like to use a mix of big beef bones (saved from roasts or begged from the butcher), meaty short ribs or oxtails, and knuckle or neck bones. Those knuckle and neck bones have a lot of collagen, which give the broth body and rich flavor.

You can also mix in bones and meaty cuts from other animals. Throw in a ham bone or shank, leftover turkey bones, some chicken feet — use whatever mix of bones you find or that sounds appealing to you.

In practical terms, cook your broth for at least 12 hours, then start checking it. I'm usually satisfied with my broth at around the 24-hour mark, but you can keep simmering for days. The bones will eventually start to crumble once all their nutrients and proteins have been extracted — once you see this happening with the majority of your bones, you've probably extracted as much goodness as you're going to get.

DSC_0509.0.jpg

Hi ABurkett.  - sorry you are having a hard time. Do listen to the doctor and don't forget to look after yourself.

Well done, Kage - for resisting the chocolate bunnies.  One day, we will really believe that herbal tea is more appetising than chocolate :)

Hi gm20 - what is Kombucha?  I keep seeing it mentioned in connection with W30.

Thanks in advance.

Hey lo-lo:  is the bone broth jelly-like?  I keep meaning to make some, but the thought of gelantinous "soup" sort of makes me gag...any tips on bone broth?

Hi Merg- Yes it is jelly-like which looks gross when it's cold but when you heat it up it's not-it's just like soup. I have quite an elaborate system but it's easy.

I start with bones from grass fed animals- beef or pork are the best. I put them in a slow cooker on low for a couple of hours and then I pour it all out into a stariner- wash the cooker put them back in with some apple cider vinegar You can also add garlic, celery, bay leaf, carrots at this point) and cook for another 12 or more hours- usually until the morning. Then I fish out the bones and I refriderate the rest. It's full of marrow and other fatty delicious nutritious stuff. Ad a little salt and it's perfect on it's own. I then take the bones and do it again for another 24 hours with apple cidar vinager. This time the broth is not gelatinus but it's still good for you and makes for a good stock.

I think the key is rinsing those bones after the first time- they can be full of blood which is better washed off- especailly pork.

I adapted my recipe form The Perfect Health Diet blog- they have some good recipes.

Just saw the beautiful post on bone broth above this. Bone's don't have to be pre-roasted for nutritional value but it does ad more flavour that is for sure. I've done this a lot- the first time round it doesn't take long to get to the gelatinous state- you won't know it until you refriderate it though. Also- Pork bones are very bloody- they should be rinsed and also you really should know where they are coming from. I love in Canada and am fortunate enough to live in a place where I know my butcher and where the stufff is coming from--pigs don't like to eat grass they can still be pasture raised and eat nuts and insects but they do get supplimented with grain. In the US- a lot of the industry is owned and controlled by China. I don't want to offend anyone-just tred carefully when consuming pork anything in the USA.

Archived