April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

JillP

• Administrators

I'm always amazed at how brazen people can be when discussing what others choose to eat.  I've fortunately never had any really ridiculous run ins with anyone.  Normally it comes up in my case when I turn down baked goods or "treats" at the office.  Inevitably it comes down to them asking "but then what DO you eat?".  I usually say "Oh, quite a bit actually; chicken, fish, pork, turkey, beef, all the vegetables on the planet and the good fats from coconut, olives, avocado".  That generally shuts down their contradictions.  I get asked the calcium question quite often and usually say "the milk industry is a business, of course they're going to say that you need their product."

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I'm going to give my 9 year old an eating complex so not sure how to avoid that. All she wants is Mac N Cheese and bagels and breads. Any help is appreciated!

I have an 11 (12 in 3 weeks) daughter and I struggle with these things as well.  I think the best thing to do is back off and not judge or make comments about the food.  Part of the reason I'm doing this is that I recognize how my poor eating habits have shapped her poor eating habits.  I'm going to lead by quiet example and over time I hope that it rubs off on her.  Also, we just don't have as much junk around the house now.  But, I do still keep the goldfish and other carby stuff that's a Whole30 no-no.  I'm trying not to be too drastic.   They have already eaten more veggies this week due to whole 30.  So that's a positive.   That being said, I find it soooo hard to bite my tongue when I see her food choices.  Or if she's going in for seconds of pasta or something.  I really struggle. :-(  I'm hoping that through whole30 my habits will change for life and she will see the positive outcome and follow my example.  I'm trying to bite my tongue!!!  Gotta pick your battles!

I have an 11 (12 in 3 weeks) daughter and I struggle with these things as well.  I think the best thing to do is back off and not judge or make comments about the food.  Part of the reason I'm doing this is that I recognize how my poor eating habits have shapped her poor eating habits.  I'm going to lead by quiet example and over time I hope that it rubs off on her.  Also, we just don't have as much junk around the house now.  But, I do still keep the goldfish and other carby stuff that's a Whole30 no-no.  I'm trying not to be too drastic.   They have already eaten more veggies this week due to whole 30.  So that's a positive.   That being said, I find it soooo hard to bite my tongue when I see her food choices.  Or if she's going in for seconds of pasta or something.  I really struggle. :-(  I'm hoping that through whole30 my habits will change for life and she will see the positive outcome and follow my example.  I'm trying to bite my tongue!!!  Gotta pick your battles!

Mishyloo, I like the idea of leading by quiet example - I think I'll try to do that a bit and see how it works. The hard part is I know I'm not a good example most of the time (hence the need to keep turning back to doing the Whole30). I am a horrible sugar addict and thrived on pasta. So, some of it is that dilemma of seeing your children are too much like you for their own good.  :)

Just made some salmon cakes for lunch from leftover salmon from last night. One of my favorite recipes if anyone is looking for ideas. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/ I tried make the Asian version as I had just bought Chinese Five Spice Powder. Will see how that is when they cool off. The regular version is delicious!

I have 4 kids - a very vocal and anti-paleo 9 year old girl, a 6 and a 4 year old that would be fine if they didn't have their older sister telling them the food was horrible, and a 1 year old who (so far) doesn't know better and just eats what I give him. So it is a challenge. We eliminated all cereals and breads and pastas from our house a few years ago after I did my first Whole30 but still will let kids eat them when we go out or if we order pizza in.  I feel like I'm going to give my 9 year old an eating complex so not sure how to avoid that. All she wants is Mac N Cheese and bagels and breads. Any help is appreciated!

I don't have kids but a while back I got tired of hubby making editorial comments about some foods I made. The new rule is: No editorial comments about food allowed. You can think it, but you can't say it out loud. It works beautifully.

i read something recently about a division of responsibility for food between parents and kids. we (parents) decide what to serve, when to eat, and where to serve it; kids decide whether and how much to eat. and that's it. i can imagine this would be a much more difficult undertaking the older your kids are, but it seems pretty simple to me in theory. 

the last couple of nights my son (2) has opted out of protein and green veggies, but he's attacked the sweet potatoes with a fury. and, he tasted the meat, which never usually happens. so, baby steps. 

also, we serve family style, which takes some of the pressure and monitoring out of the equation. it also highlights the good choices my hubs and i are making (hopefully!!). 

original article: http://www.themid.com/family/six-words-that-will-end-picky-eating?u=OI6vG80uKb 

Great topics coming up today. I'm going out to test my social skills tomorrow, I live in Germany and am not sure what is being served and don't want to offend the hostess but I think it will be buffet style and assume there will be some fruit and veggies there. I may even attempt a black coffee. Definitely taking a packed lunch with me though and know the friend I am driving with will be supportive. 

I also have a 9 year old daughter and can relate to that conversation. One thing I make sure is to never mention weight or 'being fat' or talk about myself as feeling fat. Keep the focus on nutrition and health. You can talk about things like eating a rainbow of veggie/fruit a day. When they are hungry offer nutritious choices but let them make the final choice. Take them shopping and let them help cooking, let them pick out and try new things that peak their interest. Mine likes to eat quickly and say she is still hungry so we talk about how eating slower gives the food time to get to your stomach, that you may feel hungry just because you ate quickly and don't feel the food there yet. If she eats a plate full and asks for more I have her drink some water and sit at the table talking for a bit. She isn't usually still hungry after that. We can also talk about "food" vs "treats" and not eating a treat to satisfy hunger, treats are in moderation and everything is a balance. Maybe sit down and make a list of her healthy favorites so you always know to keep them stocked up, she may even like some things that you don't! Or ask her to pick one new fruit/veg a week to try or one new way to prep one she doesn't love. Kids like having fun, getting personal attention, and getting to make their own choices! 

• Administrators

I also have a 9 year old daughter and can relate to that conversation. One thing I make sure is to never mention weight or 'being fat' or talk about myself as feeling fat. Keep the focus on nutrition and health. You can talk about things like eating a rainbow of veggie/fruit a day. When they are hungry offer nutritious choices but let them make the final choice. Take them shopping and let them help cooking, let them pick out and try new things that peak their interest. Mine likes to eat quickly and say she is still hungry so we talk about how eating slower gives the food time to get to your stomach, that you may feel hungry just because you ate quickly and don't feel the food there yet. If she eats a plate full and asks for more I have her drink some water and sit at the table talking for a bit. She isn't usually still hungry after that. We can also talk about "food" vs "treats" and not eating a treat to satisfy hunger, treats are in moderation and everything is a balance. Maybe sit down and make a list of her healthy favorites so you always know to keep them stocked up, she may even like some things that you don't! Or ask her to pick one new fruit/veg a week to try or one new way to prep one she doesn't love. Kids like having fun, getting personal attention, and getting to make their own choices! 

^^^This is awesome advice!

I'm finding breakfast to lunch much easier to cope than lunch to dinner, especially on our long days where we aren't home til about 630. Definitely felt super tired and sluggish this afternoon, a bit grouchy at times too. Had to snack again around 5 since we wouldn't have dinner til later. One little Larabar was ok but still really hungry before dinner was served.

Made a coleslaw to serve with taco lettuce wraps (kids loved them and said they're even better than regular tacos!)

Interesting slaw recipe included pineapple and 5 Spice, topped ours with toasted almonds, we all liked it. 

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/squeaky-clean-coleslaw/

Wow thank you Ladyshanny :) My kids are incredibly good eaters and I've done a lot of the things I mentioned above since they were babies. Also, expect them to try it but not to like it. Say you need to try one bite, you don't have to like it, just try one bite and then decide. 

I even give them something on their plate every single time I make it even if I know they don't like it. They say it takes kids up to 14 times to try a new food before they like it. This totally worked on my kids with Asparagus and with my daughter mashed and baked potatoes. Avoid power struggles!! Don't fall into the "take 5 bites" negotiations. If mine really don't want something I ask if they tried it and if I know they at least sort of like it I just ask them to eat the amount they think they should and leave it at that. 

Awesome advice about the kids! My sons are young, 22 months and 4 months, my 22 month old eats pretty well, but I'm thinking I need to cut out some sugar and see if his behavior is better. Could just be the terrible twos?

JillP, I'm kinda always snacky! And I bough almond butter the other day, I might not be able to do that again. I think it's one of my "food without breaks."

OH!!! My new book came today! I haven't even looked at it yet! As soon as the babies are asleep I'm on it! Yay!!

I've made it through to the end of day 4, yay!!! Im getting tired of meat. Im not used to eating so much. Not sure what to do about it since I need to have protein with every meal! IM defrosting shrimp for tomorrow to mix things up will try the shrimp scampi with zoodles, assuming I can buy a vegetti tomorrow.

About the kids, you all have great ideas. I agree with the person (sorry I don't know how to do the quote from my phone), that it's hard to see the things in your kid that mirror your bad habits. So true for me. I have two kids and it's interesting bc I did the same exact thing with both and u have an adventurous good eater in one and the other is a constant work in progress.

Technical question- is there an app for this forum? I'd like to be able to do quotes but don't see how. I also can't seem to find my place in the thread when I come back to it.

Still here!  I sympathize with many of the food cravings, dreams, headaches, and other weird stuff that's going on with those who are doing this for the first time.  I want you to know, though:  It does get better!

This is my 3rd Whole30, and instead of having all the weird stuff that goes with the beginning of a Whole30, I am instead heartily relieved to be back to eating in a way that makes me feel good rather than horrible.  I did a careful reintroduction of most foods right after my Whole30 ended in March, and then did free-range eating for a few days before and after Easter.  To say that I felt horrible for a few days is something of an understatement.  I knew that the bagels and cream cheese would do that (I'm lactose intolerant).  The kombucha was a surprise.  I tried it twice to be sure, but it causes me to gain five pounds and stops my digestion for several days.  The dietician I am working with declared it off-limits for me.  "We just got your GI tract to calm down.  Let's leave it that way!"  Good point.

This next month or so is going to be crazy stressful for me, and we already know that stress does not bode well for weight loss for me.  So instead I will focus on eating well, getting at least some activity every day, and getting sleep.  If I can do that and survive a 504 plan revision, two graudations, three major moves, and my husband coming to live with me permanently, I will be more than happy.

Compliant eating meant looking at a salad I'd ordered today, sighing, and throwing it away.  It was not what I'd expected, and cheese, a creamy dressing, and fried battered fish really aren't going to work for me.  I ended up with chicken with fajita veggies and two sides of other veggies.  Works for me!  Tasted pretty good, too.

Now, back to the moving prep.  Anyone need a punch bowl?  It's beautiful.  But really.  I do not need two of them.

ThyPeace, nor the 20-odd assorted cups that go with it.

• Moderators

I've made it through to the end of day 4, yay!!! Im getting tired of meat. Im not used to eating so much. Not sure what to do about it since I need to have protein with every meal! 

I don't know your circumstances, so I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but there is this article, Eating Meat: A Primer for the Meat Challenged that might have some tips to help.

ThyPeace, you have a lot going on! Good for you coming back to whole30!!

Shannon- thanks for the link. I read it and book marked it!!! I used to be a vegetarian for a few years and was only eating meet with dinner for the most part. Right now it just feels like I'm eating a TON! Even 1 palm size seems like a lot. I am starting to feel better on whole 30 so I guess it's working!

I'm pretty sure that punch bowls are a thing of the past, yep.  Otherwise someone would want this one, and no one seems to.  The only time I've used one was at one of DD's birthday parties.  The kids loved being "fancy."

ThyPeace, will probably just store it again.

good morning from texas everyone! day 5...here we go! 

i'm feeling a bit better today. yesterday i was mean but i took my dogs for a long walk after the kids went down and it improved my mood drastically.

my husband, who has said he's totally doing this with me, drank foamed milk in an espresso yesterday and also let me know he had a smoothie with peanut butter in it on tuesday. sigh. i almost wish he wouldn't confess these things because he's very flippant about it (he hasn't read any of the books/website, etc and i have, so it feels like i "get it" and he's along for the ride when it's convenient). anyway. he also started giving me a hard time about not drinking saturday night at the birthday party which really frustrated me. i think he was trying to be helpful, in his own way, by saying things like "it's not that big of a deal" and "1-2 glasses of wine aren't going to completely de-rail you", but i mostly just felt like he doesn't understand. 

anyway...hope everyone is having/had/will have a great friday! 1/6th of the way there! 

Archived