Whole30 #2 (4/13/15)--Reintroduction Gone Wild

sarah246

So today is Day 1 of my second Whole 30.  I completed my first Whole 30 on March 5th.  Yup---a mere 39 days ago and I've been struggling with binge eating ever since.  My Whole 30 was a huge success and I faithfully stuck to the rules.  Knowing that I'm pretty good at the "rules"....I've committed to a 30 day reset with a focus on reintroduction in a planful way.

Meal 1:  sautéed Broccoli slaw (BJ's), 2 eggs over easy, apple with homemade almond butter

Meal 2:  Salad=Spring mixed greens, roasted chicken with Olive Oil mayo, green olives, slivered almonds toasted, tomatoes, cucumber & strawberry/raspberry

Meal 3:  grilled turkey burger wrapped with Romaine lettuce, Roasted brussel sprouts with aioli, sweet potato hashbrowns

(this is my anticipated dinner---will have to check in tomorrow to confirm that I stuck with the plan)     

Day 2 (yesterday)

Wow!  what a busy day...no time to write on the forum whatsoever.  Even so, it was a successful day for food.  Love being able to check off a day successfully completed

M1:  2 eggs over sautéed spinach, apple with almond butter

M2:  same as day 1--salad with olives, slivered almonds, chicken, homemade mayonaise , avocado, strawberries and raspberries

M3:  taco seasoned ground beef/turkey mix over spaghetti squash with black olives, avocado, salsa mixed with mayonnaise---delish!!!!

It has been two days of minimal temptation.  Feeling good!

Day 3 (today)

M1:  two eggs over asparagus tips, celery with almond butter

anticipated meals.....

M2:  salad (same as last two days), strawberris+raspberries

M3:  left over sweet potoato hashbrowns, sautéed spinach or mixed greens, ?canned tuna  made into a salad with hard boiled eggs

Busy time at school.  I work in an elementary school and spring is tricky.  I'm in special education and we have a lot of testing, meetings etc. this time of year.  Lots of stress but determined not to cope with stress eating. Off to start my day.....

Some thoughts on yesterday. I'm struggling with meal timing. I eat breakfast around 7:15, lunch around 11:30 and dinner isn't until about 6:00. I'm so hungry when I get home at 4:00/4:30 that I often have a snack and then I feel like I cheated.

I have found that almonds and macadamia nuts (unless sprinkled on a salad) are "food without breaks for me." Yesterday my snack turned into several handfuls of mac. nuts and a hard liked egg.

Also I didn't realize (ignorance or denial?) that sugar free gum is non compliant. Today will be a better day!

Some thoughts on yesterday. I'm struggling with meal timing. I eat breakfast around 7:15, lunch around 11:30 and dinner isn't until about 6:00. I'm so hungry when I get home at 4:00/4:30 that I often have a snack and then I feel like I cheated.

I have found that almonds and macadamia nuts (unless sprinkled on a salad) are "food without breaks for me." Yesterday my snack turned into several handfuls of mac. nuts and a hard liked egg.

Also I didn't realize (ignorance or denial?) that sugar free gum is non compliant. Today will be a better day!

I used to have the exact same problem with meal timing bc I get up around 5:00 am. Can u try eating your breakfast later? I drink black coffee blended with 1 tsp of coconut oil to hold me over so I can eat breakfast when I get to work. I pack it and heat it up there. Then I am not hungry for lunch until at least 1:00 and dinner until 6:00 or later.

I gave up my trident bubble gum addiction a few months ago. It was hard at first, but I don't miss it at all now. I was getting a bad taste in my mouth in the beginning of my last whole 30. I carried a small bottle of Listerine with me to help with this.

Day 5: got up at 4:30. Left the house at 5:30 with my 17 year old son. Taking him to boston university's open house for accepted students. Exciting day but tired and without my own food. Two elements that could spell disaster but I'm determined to remain compliant. Send me positive thoughts. Struggling with overdoing nuts and snacking when I'm not hungry. Will. Stay. On. Track.

How did your trip go? Congratulations on your sons acceptance to BU btw!!

Did you stay on plan?

I'm going out to dinner tonight and I hope whatever I order is compliant. At least I know I won't be eating the bread, drinking wine, or having dessert!!

My trip was wonderful!!!  BU and Boston are so incredible and I had such a good day with my son.  But....um....today is day 1 all over again :( .  To be honest--I really handled most of the day well.  I had hard boiled eggs that I grabbed last minute on my way out the door and almonds and raisins for breakfast.  I had the lunch provided sticking to a salad and balsamic vinaigrette (pretty sure there was sugar) and the meat off the sandwich.  My problem came at dinner---I was tired and the menu lacked many options.....pizza.  Uggh. 

It's ok.  I'm back on track.  Sending you strong thoughts for your dinner tonight.  it is really hard for me to not have a glass of wine on my porch on these beautiful warm evenings.  A seltzer water with lemon will have to do.  :)

I went to a Byob restaurant last night and used to have my share of red wine with a nice dinner out. Last night I just drank ice water and really didn't miss the wine. Maybe try a nice cup of coffee on your porch. That kind of gives that same feeling. Sorry about the pIzza. It's hard when you're on the road and especially when you're ttired!

It stinks that you have to start all over!! Oh well. At least you'll know what makes you feel good and bad.

That's great about Boston. My oldest is only a freshman in HS. We have a little while to go before college.

SO PROUD OF YOUR NIGHT OUT!!!!  Good for you!

Had an excellent day one yesterday.  I'm not terribly concerned about starting over, but don't want to make a habit of it.

It's exciting to have a freshman in the house with several more years of growing before the really intense college talk and college pursuit. How fast they go!!!!  I so regret not saving more for college.  YIKES---Boston University is SO EXPENSIVE!!!!  My heart breaks for the amount of debt my son will acquire.  I actually find myself outraged at the entire system and how college has completely outpriced the majority of American families.  Anyway--enough of the soap box----Friday's visit inspired me and I'm so excited for my son's opportunities even if they come at a high price.

DAY 1 (yesterday)

M1:  2 eggs, sautéed spinach with red pepper and garlic, 1/2 avocado

M2:  salad with chicken, olives, almonds, cucumbers, tomatoes, and homemade dressing (olive oil mayo, brown mustard, balsamic vinegar)

M3:  grilled porkchops, roasted cubed butternut squash, steam sautéed broccoli, 1 clementine, handful of cashews & macadamia nuts

Good for you! Day 1 looks great!

I'm really trying not to eat a lot for M3 and eat mostly vegatables and a little less protein at M3. Plus increasing my exercise.

Have you made your own mayo yet? It's really easy and chicken salad is sooo good. Also you can make ceasar dressing with it for your salad.

I do make my own mayo!  So delicious.  In the beginning I was making it from the recipe in WellFed.  Recently I found a recipe that uses 2 eggs, a little more olive oil, and 1 tablespoon of brown mustard.  I love the flavor!  Last week, I experimented with a salad dressing and added a splash of balsamic vinegar and a little extra mustard and it was so good.  Last night my husband added dill, garlic salt and used it on a salmon salad he made for both of us....also good.  I will have to look into the Caesar salad recipes.

btw--I have the ingredients to make your tomato sauce.  My hubby bought a jarred sauce that's compliant and it was pretty good but I enjoy making my own sauces.

Day 2 (yesterday)

M1:  2 eggs, roasted brussel sprouts with garlic aioli, 4 strawberries 

M2:  salmon salad with variety of vegetables and dill mayo dressing, handful of cashews

M3:  spaghetti squash, compliant spaghetti sauce, black olives, sautéed mushrooms and red peppers, ground turkey/beef mix, 2 handfuls of cashews

The sauce is really good especially baked with a vegatable such as eggplant, mushrooms, spinich or a "Vegetti" zucchini "noodle".

I had it on my chicken breast last night with some green olives.

Your husbands salmon salad sounds really good!

For the ceasar dressing, I add a couple T of mayo, fresh dill, minced garlic, lemon juice, mustard and white wine vinegar.

Day 3 (today!!!)

Up early (4:45)....not to workout :(.....rather to complete some reports for work. This comes after spending 1 1/2 hours on them yesterday too. GRR. Welcome to spring PPT meetings at a school. (Totally worth it...I love my job!)

M1: 2 eggs, roasted vegetables, strawberry/blueberry mix(did you know you can toss a frozen vegetable mix with olive oil, put it on a stone and roast it???, I sprinkle sea salt, rosemary and thyme on mine--it's the busy-girl's option!)

anticipated meals:

M2: Salmon salad with dill dressing

m3: taco flavored ground beef over greens to make a taco salad, avocado, black olives, mayo mixed with compliant salsa

going for no nuts today!

Meals went mostly as planned. I decided to put the taco meat over hash-browned sweet potatoes. So tasty. Super proud of the fact that I didn't have any nuts. Particularly considering how tired I am and I typically slip when I'm tired. Going to bed after working on reports for another 1.5 hours. Will get up at 4:45 tomorrow morning to do it all over again....but the end is in sight...summer is approaching.

Ugggh!!! Awful night's sleep---so I will be working against major fatigue. I struggle with muscle spasms in my neck and back and they were really acting up. In addition, the lovely PMS reared it's head with cramps and nausea. All the more reason to stay the course!!!

Day 4

M1: eggs over asparagus tips, 1/2 avocado

M2: salad with ground beef and salsa dressing

M3: grilled chicken thighs with roasted cauliflower and sautéed zucchini

I read in someone's post that when you go off track and have to "start over" you don't always have to call it starting over..you can call it an extension of your original plan (lol!!!) Looking at it that way today is DAY 9 of my WHOLE 35....I prefer the sound of that.

A few things to add to yesterday.....strawberry blueberry mix at breakfast, a mix to include a handful of almonds, handful cashews, and a handful of raisins at lunch, the same mix at supper

man I eat a lot!!!

Day 10 of my Whole 35

M1: 2 eggs over roasted frozen vegetable mix, 1/4 avocado, melon

M2: same salad as yesterday, melon

m3: stir fry, celery with almond butter

Oh boy am I cranky!!! It's in my family's best interest to keep a distance from me...LOL! I know exactly why...no sugar and PMS...it will be good when I finally start so that my kids and husband can stand my presence. Let's see if Whole 30 (which I actually might need to do through a few months to really know) balances some of this out.

Sounds like you're doing great on the program! I don't have much of an issue with PMS, so I'm not sure if Whole 30 helped with that. I do think it keeps my stress levels down when I don't eat sugar. You're lucky you dont have to worry about your weight. I only have 5-10 pounds I want to lose, but I think this would be more fun without the weight issue in play!!

Thanks!! I'm sure it wouldn't hurt me to lose 5-10 (and believe me--I would be doing cartwheels), but I'm aware that my priority in the Whole 30 is repairing a relationship with food. (at least that's what I'm striving for---I often catch myself secretly motivated by weightloss)

When I started round two I read an article put out by Whole30 that it takes 66 days to make/break a habit. In mymind I told myself that I would do this for 66 days, but I didn't "go public" with it because I wasn't sure I really wanted to do this for that long. LOL! Last night I came across another person's blog. She committed to 30 days and then decided to take 36 days to do the reintroduction. Here is her reintroduction schedule. LOVE IT!!! I'm going to adopt this plan. I think I'm on track to begin reintroduction on May 18th. (I'm doing a Whole 35 because I slipped on Day 5)

Day 31-36: alcohol

Day 37-42: legumes

Day 43-48: dairy

Day 49-54: non-gluten grains

Day 55-60: gluten

Day 61-66: sugar

I'm getting so tired of food prep. Just sayin'!

Day 11 of Whole35

M1: 2 eggs over sautéed spinach with peppers and onion, either melon or strawberry/blueberry mix

M2: typical salad with grilled chicken thighs and Moroccan dipping sauce mixed with olive oil mayo; mix of almond/cashews/raisins

M3: not sure...I'll be in a hurry tonight so it will either be a repeat of breakfast or frozen veggies mixed with left over chicken

Very busy day. In a conference all day but remained compliant. Proud of that. Unfortunately felt horrible---migraine, muscle "junk" in neck, nauseous....yuck. Got in to see my chiro after work. Had a lot of relief. Hoping it will be a physical reset for the weekend and on. Also hoping that whole30 will help me work through these monthly struggles. Grateful for good food choices!

Day 13 of Whole30

Felt so much better today. Partly because of the chiro visit and partly because I'm on the other side of ridiculous PMS. (enough of that---I know there's a forum for that!)

M1: 2 eggs over California blend veggies spiced with curry and sautéed with coconut oil, melon

M2: spaghetti squash, pork, spaghetti sauce, mixed nuts with raisins

snack (oops!): mixed nuts with raisins

M3: salad from au bon pain--turkey, bacon, romaine, cucumber, tomato, peppers, vinegar & oil

overkill with the nuts today!!! Saying goodbye to enjoying them as a stand alone food. Going to allow them in a salad or dish or as a nut butter on celery or carrot....but no more grabbing a handful (or 2) to eat.

Archived