Starting 27th April

Amz

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm technically on day 2 but I started cutting way back on stuff last Thursday. Still had pizza and beer on my "last day" lol

I was up at 4:30 am today with a headache that just refuses to go away! It's not terrible, just annoying!

Is anyone else "journaling" during this process? I'm trying to write down everything I eat, any excercise I get, my moods for the day and any tips or really recipes that I come across. I'm hopin to get my Mom on board and was hoping the journal might help her know what to sort of expect. And keeping track of food will help stop from "picking" so much. I don't have to tell you how hard it was not to take a big spoonful of my sons mac&cheese yesterday!!!!

Hi Espie- Day 2 is going well so far. I woke up with a lot of energy and actually ran 4 miles. Thought it would be hard without having any carbs the day before but all was fine. I have a work dinner tonight so really hoping that I can walk away from the wine...that will be hard during the cocktail hour.

I'm having a good second day as well.  Slight headache in the morning, but otherwise feel fine.  Staying up late last night to pre-cook some meals was worth it when my lunch was interesting and delicious at work today!  Put some coconut milk in my coffee this morning which is better than drinking it black, which I did day 1.  Hope everyone else is doing well.

Is anyone else "journaling" during this process? I'm trying to write down everything I eat, any excercise I get, my moods for the day and any tips or really recipes that I come across. I'm hopin to get my Mom on board and was hoping the journal might help her know what to sort of expect. And keeping track of food will help stop from "picking" so much.

I did start writing things down on day 1. I am being super casual about it because I am not a consistent :"journaler" and if I put that expectation on myself I might not do it. But I have gravitated toward it. I am not writing down what I eat (I have a food planner for that) but I am noting my fullness and hunger and my moods. And it's where I am noting the tips I learn. I think it will help reinforce things and also help me reflect along the way.

The other thing I did is start a Word doc and am copying and pasting compliant recipes there that I see on the internet throughout the week. It usually stumble upon them so it's nice to have a place to dump them. I print that out and then when building my food plan  for the week I have one place to look for ideas. I started it last week before my first day and it really helped me build my plan for this first week.

Started on Monday as well.  So far, so good.  I have done 10 Day Detox/Blood Sugar Solution, but it was extremely restrictive.  I did well on it, though, but just couldn't maintain it forever.  This seems to be more permissive, or at least, you have more control over what you can eat/create to eat.  Excited!

Hi Espie- Day 2 is going well so far. I woke up with a lot of energy and actually ran 4 miles. Thought it would be hard without having any carbs the day before but all was fine. I have a work dinner tonight so really hoping that I can walk away from the wine...that will be hard during the cocktail hour.

Great job on the run. Wow - those were some good challenges! How'd you do?

Is anyone else "journaling" during this process? I'm trying to write down everything I eat, any excercise I get, my moods for the day and any tips or really recipes that I come across. I'm hopin to get my Mom on board and was hoping the journal might help her know what to sort of expect. And keeping track of food will help stop from "picking" so much. I don't have to tell you how hard it was not to take a big spoonful of my sons mac&cheese yesterday!!!!

Not journaling, exactly, but I did complete The Whole30 Daily self evaluation/worksheet #1, on which I had some goals for eating and exercising. So that's my tracking method for this Whole 30. I find I tend to overdo it when I start something new, and add too much for me to stay consistent with after the first blush of Frexcitement wears off. I'm really trying to keep things simple this time around so I can stick with it throughout.

So I'm keeping track of things on the worksheet. It's silly, but the feeling I get when making a smiley face each day after I finish my exercise is a little shot of fun, excitement, and accomplishment. I'm imagining seeing all 30 smiley faces lined up & looking *GOOD*, and it makes me want to get one more on the page.

Day 2 went better.     Neither my daughter and I were starving.    For breakfast we had a scrambled egg mix with chicken sausage, spinach and mushrooms.     For lunch we had a chicken breast, mushrooms, asparagus.    She also had unsweetened apple sauce.    Mid afternoon she had some strawberries and I had carrots and guacommile  and a hard boiled egg.     For dinner we had baked cod and potatoes sautéed in olive oil.

I was  pretty proud of myself.   I made the homemade mayo for the first time.   I am not a big mayo fan, but it was good.    We are both having tuna salad for lunch today with it.  

Day three for me - so far so good. The hardest time for me is immediately after work. The snacking tempation is strong, but I am stronger.

Fell asleep at 8:45 last night but woke up feeling more energy.

Homemade almond milk with cinnamon instead of vanilla is amazing!

Hello all. We've started on the 27th as well. Great so far, no headaches & digestive system is much happier than it was before. I did have a bad day yesterday and over-fruited, but I suppose if that's the worst so far, it's not too bad. :)

So I'm keeping track of things on the worksheet. It's silly, but the feeling I get when making a smiley face each day after I finish my exercise is a little shot of fun, excitement, and accomplishment. I'm imagining seeing all 30 smiley faces lined up & looking *GOOD*, and it makes me want to get one more on the page.

Not silly at all!! It's a great idea actually!

HI All!  I started on the 26th, and am feeling really good after day 4!  I was considering starting and after I realized my breakfast was compliant I headed to the grocery to stock up for the week! :)  I'm blogging about my experience and set up a Facebook page for easy following.  One of my goals was to start journaling this year, so I'm hoping it evolves past The Whole30!  I'll say I haven't felt bad or deprived at all so far.  The biggest challenge for me is finding food that my toddler will love too, so I don't have to make multiple dinners.  Good luck to everyone!!  

Hello fellow W30-ers! Feeling GREAT today at the start of Day 4, but have had a bit of a headache since yesterday afternoon. Definitely need to be drinking more water, so that's on the list to tackle for today.

How's everyone else doing? Hello to the all the new folks on the thread, yay!

I'm technically on day 2 but I started cutting way back on stuff last Thursday. Still had pizza and beer on my "last day" lol

I was up at 4:30 am today with a headache that just refuses to go away! It's not terrible, just annoying!

Yes, I'm journaling as well!  Started with just one or two sentences because I wanted to compare how I felt with the typical timeline.  But ended up writing paragraphs!  I guess I have a lot to say about food.  ;-)   I have been snacking a bit (although on compliant foods) which I know I need to manage, but otherwise have been doing and feeling fine.  I think it's mostly out of habit, so I need to really stop myself and think about it -- and then I probably wont need it.  Also think I need to eat bigger portions and more fat at meals.

I guess I have a lot to say about food.  ;-)    I think it's mostly out of habit, so I need to really stop myself and think about it -- and then I probably wont need it.

Have you seen, either in the Daily or in the Whole30 book, the recommendation for Charles Duhigg's "The Power of Habit"? I know I have a lot to say about food too, and easily 35+ years (meaning, most of my life) of creating & fostering really bad habits when it comes to food and eating. The Power of Habit has been hugely illuminating for me, both helping me understand why some of those habits are so "sticky," and also how to start recognizing them - the first step to changing them. Your journaling is a great way to do that! IMO the book does a great job of not just exposing the issues, but giving readers steps on how to change. I love it! So, if you're looking for something similar to investigate what you're experiencing, you might try it. The book's been around for a while, so I'm sure libraries have it, etc.

Hi Espie and everyone. Day 4!!!
Oh gosh - where do I start? Overall I'm doing really good! I have had the hangover symptoms but they've been relatively mild. I can't say enough about how the pre-planning has helped me this week. I have not had to think... just do. This weekend I need to remember this and be diligent about planning meals for week 2.

Yesterday was hard with temptations. Not cravings, per se (those haven't hit yet). But being tempted. I was sitting in a meeting a small office with 5 people. A co-worker had just come from the mall and she brought in 5 Auntie Annie pretzels. Hot and smelling delicious. She passed them around and everyone took one. I politely declined. Did I mention I love those dang things?! So the next 20 minutes was them munching on them while we worked. I couldn't leave the meeting. It was 2 hours after I had lunch so while I was not hungry, I wasn't full either. I certainly had the room to eat one. That was a hard test.

Then my dinner was less than satisfying when my dear hubby had my dad's homemade pasta sauce over pasta. He really is being supportive but that was hard to watch. My food looked less than ideal to me. So... while I fully am committed and feel really food about what I'm doing, it was hard to be in those situations so early in the experience.

BTW, most nights my husband and I are eating the same dinner. Last night was a one-off, thankfully.

Day 4:   Things have been going better since day one.   While I feel hunger sometimes between meals, I am not out of control starving like I was.    I am not missing my Diet Pepsi like I thought.    Planning meals and preparing lunches the night before has really helped.     My daughter is struggling a little more.   This week the school made her favorite lunches so it was hard for her to watch her friends eat them while she had her stuff.      I know I need to find more variety of things for her to take.   One of the struggles for her is she is tired of water.    She did not like the sparkling water I bought.     I did find this complainant flavored water that she seems to like, so I hope that helps.   

This weekend is going to be a challenge.   My son is playing in a baseball tournament about 3 hours from home, so we are going to be travelling.    Tonight I am really going to figure out what to take with so I can stay on track.   

Archived