Starting 27th April

Amz

Could someone who knows more than me explain the pre- and post-workout snacks?  

From the book, I understand that the pre-workout snack is supposed to be a little protein and a little fat, but no fruit -- why?  And do you have any suggestions or examples of a good pre-workout snack?  

Also, it says to eat immediately after working out, and that it should add to (not replace) your three meals a day, but I do my working out right before I get home for dinner -- so I kind of just have to eat dinner.

This is the only thing that has confused me so far, and I could use a little guidance.

Thanks!!!

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Could someone who knows more than me explain the pre- and post-workout snacks?  

From the book, I understand that the pre-workout snack is supposed to be a little protein and a little fat, but no fruit -- why?  And do you have any suggestions or examples of a good pre-workout snack?  

Also, it says to eat immediately after working out, and that it should add to (not replace) your three meals a day, but I do my working out right before I get home for dinner -- so I kind of just have to eat dinner.

This is the only thing that has confused me so far, and I could use a little guidance.

Thanks!!!

The reason for no fruit before is because you want your body to access your body for energy, not something more easily accessible like fruit.  The reason for no fruit after is because it preferentially replenishes liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen.  A good preworkout is a hard boiled egg with olives or mayo.  Basically any protein and fat combo you can dream up.

If you are working out hard enough to need a post workout meal (a couple bites of lean protein and some starchy veggie), you should not skip this and go straight to dinner. Eat the PWO right after you are done and then go make dinner.  The PWO is not huge, it won't throw off your dinner.

Guest testadura

The reason for no fruit before is because you want your body to access your body for energy, not something more easily accessible like fruit.  The reason for no fruit after is because it preferentially replenishes liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen.  A good preworkout is a hard boiled egg with olives or mayo.  Basically any protein and fat combo you can dream up.

If you are working out hard enough to need a post workout meal (a couple bites of lean protein and some starchy veggie), you should not skip this and go straight to dinner. Eat the PWO right after you are done and then go make dinner.  The PWO is not huge, it won't throw off your dinner.

What is considered hard enough of a workout to warrant this post workout meal? Super sweaty and totally spent like a spinning or boot camp class for example? Vs walking or light exercise....?

Thanks for the info!

• Administrators

What is considered hard enough of a workout to warrant this post workout meal? Super sweaty and totally spent like a spinning or boot camp class for example? Vs walking or light exercise....?

Thanks for the info!

Generally it's any workout where you feel depleted.  Depending on what a person's level of fitness is/isn't, that could mean a walk and it could mean a crossfit class.  Usually a light walk or a standard yoga class wouldn't require this as the person's muscle glycogen will not have been depleted.

Thank you -- exactly what I needed!!  What about a small amount of cashew butter or almond butter as the pre-WO fat?

• Administrators

Thank you -- exactly what I needed!!  What about a small amount of cashew butter or almond butter as the pre-WO fat?

The fact that it's fat is good....but nuts and nut butters can be digestively disruptive for some folks so we don't necessarily suggest combining a gut disruptor with a bunch of intense movement...if you get my meaning.  ;)  But in theory, yes, you can, feel free to experiment!

The fact that it's fat is good....but nuts and nut butters can be digestively disruptive for some folks so we don't necessarily suggest combining a gut disruptor with a bunch of intense movement...if you get my meaning.   ;)  But in theory, yes, you can, feel free to experiment!

This sounds like good justification to eat avocado out of the shell with a spoon! :-)

Guest testadura

This is something I copied and pasted from the W30 facebook page 11 days ago and it's really helped me not feel sorry for myself that I can't 'reward' myself with junk food that I thought I would miss more than I actually do. I have it in my phone to read when I need to: 

The key here is to redefine your idea of reward.  Think long and hard about the foods you’re grieving and ask yourself what need you’re expecting them to fulfill.  Are you feeling anxious and looking for reassurance?  Are you feeling sad, and looking for something to cheer you up? Are you worried you won’t successfully finish the program, and it’s easier to self-sabotage than fail? Remind yourself that food cannot fill that void for you—cannot make you feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm, happy, beautiful. Then, find another way to fill that need that does not involve those foods. Prepare yourselves for these days, knowing that all you have to do is see them through to the other side before things get much, much easier.

This is something I copied and pasted from the W30 facebook page 11 days ago and it's really helped me not feel sorry for myself that I can't 'reward' myself with junk food that I thought I would miss more than I actually do. I have it in my phone to read when I need to: 

The key here is to redefine your idea of reward.  Think long and hard about the foods you’re grieving and ask yourself what need you’re expecting them to fulfill.  Are you feeling anxious and looking for reassurance?  Are you feeling sad, and looking for something to cheer you up? Are you worried you won’t successfully finish the program, and it’s easier to self-sabotage than fail? Remind yourself that food cannot fill that void for you—cannot make you feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm, happy, beautiful. Then, find another way to fill that need that does not involve those foods. Prepare yourselves for these days, knowing that all you have to do is see them through to the other side before things get much, much easier.

this is such good advice, and I'm glad you posted it here to remind us! You're doing so well!

And I love your new avatar, btw! ;)

Y'all ever bounce anything off of the floor a few times and throw it back on the plate...with big grins and smiles all around?  :lol:  :o  :D  I've known a few cooks who've had a cow.  I'll never send anything back..never ever.  I'll take it home and feed it to the dog before I'd do that.  Nope.  No sireee.   That is all....I best be movin' along lil dogies.   Git along lil dogies.

Hahaha!! I can promise you I've never seen that done! Can't say we never wanted to though ;)

Good morning all! Day 12! Wow. Time is going quickly for me. How does everyone else feel? Similar? The opposite? I'm curious to hear.

BUSY day yesterday. But made eating on time and according to Template a major priority, and guess what? No crazy hunger pangs, only very mild cravings mid-afternoon. What a difference. Sometimes I am so "hard of learning" (what hubs and I call it, like being "hard of hearing," only for the brain...), it's ridiculous. I know the good things to do, I just resist putting them into practice. Well, I hope this is a lesson learned because the difference is striking for me.

Off to cook M1 :). Looking forward to hearing from everyone today!

Espie

Okay, I'm very proud of myself right now, so I'm going to brag!

Today was a coworker's birthday, and we had a Jamocha Almond Fudge ice cream cake -- and that's one of my favorite things in the whole world.  I LOVE ice cream, and I particularly love mocha or coffee ice cream.  

I ate a huge lunch because I knew it was coming in the afternoon, and I didn't want to be the slightest bit hungry.  They served it, and I asked for a small slice (I was not up for an impromptu explanation of Whole 30 right there in the office) and I poked it around on the plate and mushed it around a while, and then I threw it away.  And not only did I not take a taste, I didn't mind not taking a taste.  This is huge for me.  I didn't even eat the back-up Larabar I brought as a substitute.  I was genuinely okay with not eating any.  This is really the first sign that I have had that Whole 30 might be actually changing my eating habits.  I am feeling so proud and excited!  Yay for me!   :D

Hi, All :)

Day 12 in the bag! I played hooky from work today. Not really; I did work from home a bit but I was able to plan and grocery shop for all of next week. I am planned and stockd out through day 20. That feels awesome.

Weeblemom - Way to go! That must be an incredible feeling. True signs of progress.

I went to Applebees for dinner tonight with my family. Order a steak plain, plain baked potato and had to sub the veggies (which were made in butter) for plain broccoli. I was glad I brought my own dressing. I used it on my salad and the potato. Squeezed lemon on the broccoli. I enjoyed it. But this is the second time I ate at a restaurant this week and the only thing I could find on both menus was a steak.

Happy weekend! I hope you are all doing well.

Okay, I'm very proud of myself right now, so I'm going to brag!

Today was a coworker's birthday, and we had a Jamocha Almond Fudge ice cream cake -- and that's one of my favorite things in the whole world.  I LOVE ice cream, and I particularly love mocha or coffee ice cream.  

I ate a huge lunch because I knew it was coming in the afternoon, and I didn't want to be the slightest bit hungry.  They served it, and I asked for a small slice (I was not up for an impromptu explanation of Whole 30 right there in the office) and I poked it around on the plate and mushed it around a while, and then I threw it away.  And not only did I not take a taste, I didn't mind not taking a taste.  This is huge for me.  I didn't even eat the back-up Larabar I brought as a substitute.  I was genuinely okay with not eating any.  This is really the first sign that I have had that Whole 30 might be actually changing my eating habits.  I am feeling so proud and excited!  Yay for me!   :D

This? IS AWESOME! So much strength! Great job, and look at all you're learning!

Anyone else feeling this is getting so much easier? I find myself not even thinking about food. I think helps that I have meals planned and stuff ready when I need it. I worked a long day yesterday so I had a big breakfast and didn't have the chance to even eat lunch until almost 3 but wasn't even really hungry!! In the beginning I HAD to munch on grapes or a banana at night to help with the tv watching munchies but now I just grab a giant glass of water.

Hi everybody, hope you're having a great weekend! Happy Mother's Day to everyone who's a mom!

So this weekend has posed a lot of challenges; my mom and sis came over for the weekend and brought several non-compliant treats (most involving chocolate...), which have been around and available. Thankfully I haven't been feeling cravings but I can't say that they're not tempting. It's been OK/manageable so far, so I haven't had to ask that the treats migrate out of the kitchen to a more avoidable area. They should be out of the house by tomorrow afternoon, so I think it will be fine. I also had my first meal out tonight, was able to turn a ribeye + garlic fries into a ribeye + salad greens w/ no dressing. Then I had a small plate of sweet potato, and a few olives and nuts, at home to round it out. Worked out well. I have to say (surprisingly) that non-compliant food hasn't really been an issue; what *has* been tempting is a drink - glass of wine or a nice tangy Bloody Mary. In a way, that makes me pretty happy because, really, eating W30 compliant food, I feel like my food tastes better and is more satisfying than ever before in my life. And so I haven't really wanted (yet) to reintro anything besides alcohol. This is a surprising revelation, one I wouldn't have expected before Day 1.

How's everyone else doing? Challenges? Fun findings? Successes? Let's hear 'em!

Espie

Happy Mother's Day!

Espie, good job working through the challenges this weekend.

It's interesting because I do plan to reintro all foods, I think. Slowly and one at a time. I am not feeling the NEED for any of them per se. But, I want to be able to eat them in moderation. I am confident my eating habits will have changed dramatically after W30. They already have. My main goals AFTER W30 are to:

- Eat breakfast every day

- Not crave sugar

- stop mindless muching

- eat veggies at every meal

- not eat junk food as a snack

- not have dessert every night

- enjoy all food in moderation (assuming I can reintro them without neg health effects)

- keep problem foods out of my diet altogther

When I manage the above, my lifestyle will have dramatically changed, I will be much healthier, and I will maintain the weight I am now (ideal). So... I hope to be able to have BBQ sauce at cookouts sometimes, a little honey in my coffee (maybe), dessert at parties or maybe once per week, ketchup on my burger, cheese on my tacos, a buttered roll at a restaurant. That kind of thing. But, 80% of the time my meals will look just as they do today. We shall see!

Happy Mother's Day!

Espie, good job working through the challenges this weekend.

It's interesting because I do plan to reintro all foods, I think. Slowly and one at a time. I am not feeling the NEED for any of them per se. But, I want to be able to eat them in moderation. I am confident my eating habits will have changed dramatically after W30. They already have. My main goals AFTER W30 are to:

- Eat breakfast every day

- Not crave sugar

- stop mindless muching

- eat veggies at every meal

- not eat junk food as a snack

- not have dessert every night

- enjoy all food in moderation (assuming I can reintro them without neg health effects)

- keep problem foods out of my diet altogther

When I manage the above, my lifestyle will have dramatically changed, I will be much healthier, and I will maintain the weight I am now (ideal). So... I hope to be able to have BBQ sauce at cookouts sometimes, a little honey in my coffee (maybe), dessert at parties or maybe once per week, ketchup on my burger, cheese on my tacos, a buttered roll at a restaurant. That kind of thing. But, 80% of the time my meals will look just as they do today. We shall see!

I think it's super smart to be considering now (way in advance) of what you want your re-intro to look like, and also life after your W30. Meadowlily has been encouraging me since about Day 3 to do the same. It's helped me be very mindful of what I'm doing throughout this W30, and also very intentional about what food-related life will look like afterward. I've read a lot of posts and stories of all types of people who have done the W30 and run the spectrum of super-slow-roll reintroduction to people who just went ahead and ate pizza, ice cream, and beer on Day 31. Some people come back to W30-style eating, some don't. Some moderate in their renewed day-to-day life and do occasional Whole-whatevernumbers to refresh. Some people do something different from those options. Thinking about it all is helping me create my own plan to move forward. I haven't made a final decision yet what that will be, but it's taking form. As I figure it out better, I'll be posting here about it to work out my thoughts and to keep myself accountable.

How is everyone's weekend going?

I think it's super smart to be considering now (way in advance) of what you want your re-intro to look like, and also life after your W30. Meadowlily has been encouraging me since about Day 3 to do the same. It's helped me be very mindful of what I'm doing throughout this W30, and also very intentional about what food-related life will look like afterward. I've read a lot of posts and stories of all types of people who have done the W30 and run the spectrum of super-slow-roll reintroduction to people who just went ahead and ate pizza, ice cream, and beer on Day 31. Some people come back to W30-style eating, some don't. Some moderate in their renewed day-to-day life and do occasional Whole-whatevernumbers to refresh. Some people do something different from those options. Thinking about it all is helping me create my own plan to move forward. I haven't made a final decision yet what that will be, but it's taking form. As I figure it out better, I'll be posting here about it to work out my thoughts and to keep myself accountable.

How is everyone's weekend going?

Espie -  I think anyone who's young (young at heart), working out in beast mode 6 X week can almost out-exercise any food protocol. If you're exercising more than 1 or 2 x aday, ditto.   You may be able to budget in snacks or have a weekend-celebration- with-food pattern, too.  I think it would be great to enjoy all of your activities, have your pizza, pasta, ice cream cake and eat it, too.

If you're not working out like that or have health problems...then you need a firm plan and strategy going forward.   The Slow Roll Reintro is just as important for the Head Reset as it is for the Food Reset.  If you're already at your optimum setpoint,  maybe you can get away with more than the rest of us.   It's not one size fits all.  That's why there's no set-in-stone detailed directions for after a Whole 30.  They want you to create your own plan going forward.

There's no Whole 365.  Even if you think you're going to Whole 30-it forever, like waaaaay into the future,  one slip in a year's time and you're not Whole 30.  If you conduct a reintro, those foods that you test...just knocked your idea of a Whole 365 right out of the ballpark.   It's only 30 days.

But you don't have to add anything back in that you don't want to.  I believe in a bunch of sugar avoidance.  I keep my sugar intake to a zero-mum rather than a mini-mum.   I don't eat grains or potato chips, french fries, pizza, pasta, protein or fruit/nut bars. I don't have to worry about tossing my cookies because I don't eat those either.  I don't have my cake or eat it, too.   

I had to draw a line in the sand and make some strong declarations out into the Universe.  That approach is not necessary for someone who already has the world by its tail. If often takes a health crisis to bring someone to a reckoning with food.  A reintro need not be a scary thought or filled with fear.  If thoughts of pizza and pasta are fomenting revolution with cravings of french fries, cookies and cake....it would be good to impose some order out of that chaos.

Slow Roll Reintro.

Great insights, Meadow, as usual. <3 I'm so thankful for the experience of you and others who've been down this road a time or two before those of us travelling it for the first time.

Happy Monday All, 

I was so busy for the past 4-5 days, didn't even have time to get online at all. Just catching up on all the posts and it looks like everyone is doing really good! I like being busy because it takes my mind off of  food but it is hard to stay Whole 30 when you don't have time for proper planning. So what happens to me is I eat less (for better or worse that's what I do). Wasn't hungry so that was not an issue, but with Mother's Day yesterday there were lots of tempting treats around. I wasn't craving them but I think for the first time since starting I was feeling a little sorry for myself that I couldn't enjoy them. Especially when the family was chowing down on Sicilian Pizza and Italian pastry  while I crunched on yet another grilled chicken salad. But, I didn't let my pity party last to long. I tried to focus on all the positives yesterday, spending a beautiful day with my kids and extended family (unfortunately hubby had to work), how good I am feeling and all the positive changes I definitely notice going on within me.

Hope everyone has a Great Day!  

Weeble-Great job with ice cream cake!!!  I am not sure I would have been able to have pulled that off.   

Gina-Those are great habits to keep going after the 30 days.    That is what I plan to do to.   

Susabella-I understand the pity party.   Friday night I had my paint night.   It was hard to watch my friends drink wine and enjoy all the goodies, since I was limited to the fruit and veggie tray.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.    This weekend, I have to admit I was tempted a few times, but resisted.    I am feeling more confident about my ability to make it to the end.   My plan is to reintro slowly and try to stay paleo the majority of the summer.   In August or September, I plan to do another round of Whole30 to refresh my head for the change of seasons, which means a change in our family's crazy schedule.

Amy

Archived