Starting 27th April

Amz

Good morning everyone (in North America)! How do you all feel today? Ready for our first weekend on Whole30?  I know we've got travelling & kids sports, BBQs, and what else?

I'm getting in some extra movement this weekend and going to try to do a bunch of cooking ahead to make next week easier.

Feeling pretty good this morning, think I've finally made it past the carb headaches I've been having for the past couple of days. Yay!

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday I learned something to share wth you. I really really disliked my lunch (leftover from dinner the night before that I didn't like but I wanted to use up the food). I just couldn't past 1/2 of it. So of course halfway through the workday I was hungry. I snacked on my carrot sticks I brought for a quick munch just in case. But they were not enough. I was ravenous by the time I got home. Not to self: stash some hearty, compliant snack at work in case something goes wrong at lunchtime. I cannot be stuck there with no food! I work on a college campus and there are too many tempting options around me to purchase.

Yes! I had a similar thing happen a few days ago, check out all of these great suggestions from a bunch of wonderful W30 smarties: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27071-what-do-you-do-when-all-or-most-of-your-meal-tastes-awful/

Have a great day, Gina!

Hello group! I also started on April 27, or maybe technically on April 28. In any case, the first week went really well. I've been having headaches as well, Espie. I do hope those stop soon. I also got a cold. So I guess I'm pretty typical. So far I have not "Hated All the Things", so I guess my family can be pretty grateful for that. My family, hubby and son, are not joining me on this quest, but, then again, they eat what I cook so, at least at dinner time, they kinda are. I'm joining this forum now because I find that going into the weekend I was feeling my motivation lag. I don't want to fall off the wagon, but at the same time I feel my grip loosening and was hoping for some further motivation. I like Espie's idea of dedicating her energy to planning and meal prep - that seems a pretty good way of recommitting to the program instead of dropping out. Does anybody else have good ideas? Also, I have no leftover meat in the house for breakfast - I have eggs. Any ideas?

I'm joining this forum now because I find that going into the weekend I was feeling my motivation lag. I don't want to fall off the wagon, but at the same time I feel my grip loosening and was hoping for some further motivation. I like Espie's idea of dedicating her energy to planning and meal prep - that seems a pretty good way of recommitting to the program instead of dropping out. Does anybody else have good ideas? Also, I have no leftover meat in the house for breakfast - I have eggs. Any ideas?

Hi Barbara -

I hope your morning went well!  Hang in there! Don't drop out if you can manage on. Try to go forward just 5 minutes at a time when you're really feeling challenged. That's what I do.

My first few days were hard in a couple of ways, but one of them was not having anything prepped so that every meal was a pretty major endeavor. I spent some time making things that were relatively quick and easy: hard-boiled eggs and turkey burgers, and also some cooked yams. That didn't take very long (cooked the burgers while the eggs were on the burner, microwaved the yams till tender and then pan fry or whatever at mealtime). So in about an hour I had some easily doable eats that I could add to my salads and veg and pieces of fruit.

I have eggs for bfast every day! most often pan-fried with a spray of olive oil or bit of ghee, and I do spinach and a bunch of veg in the pan as well. Or I have boiled eggs with the same veg plan - a glop of salsa or mayo-based sauce gives a flavor punch if I want it. Hope that helps a little.

I can't over-recommend spending some time in the Forum threads; there is a lifetime's-reading worth of good insight, recipes, encouragement, and advice here!

Check back in when you can and let us know how you're doing!

Good morning everyone (in North America)! How do you all feel today? Ready for our first weekend on Whole30? I know we've got travelling & kids sports, BBQs, and what else?

I'm getting in some extra movement this weekend and going to try to do a bunch of cooking ahead to make next week easier.

Feeling pretty good this morning, think I've finally made it past the carb headaches I've been having for the past couple of days. Yay!

We just helped paint the neighborhood pool...the ENTIRE pool. 9 hours later it looks like new and I think I've chalked up enough exercise for the rest of the week!!

I started on the 27th, too.  Nearly a week down!

Congratulations!!!  This weekend is flying by, and I'm not the least bit tempted by anything... (knock on wood).  I will be fasting for 24 hours starting tonight, and I'm a bit nervous about my first meal afterwards.  I hope I don't go overboard. ;)

We just helped paint the neighborhood pool...the ENTIRE pool. 9 hours later it looks like new and I think I've chalked up enough exercise for the rest of the week!!

Yikes! How fun, though! I think you mentioned there was a related BBQ? How did that go?

Day 6 almost done, it was a good one overall but in the interested of not sugar-coating things (see what I did there?) I did have more Day8/9-type bathroom time logged today than if I'd been in charge of the schedule... (If you haven't seen the W30 Timeline, it can be full of insight: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/)

Hopefully that phase is over, and I can move forward. Because dinner tonight? Fresh spot prawn that the Hubs caught this afternoon - sautéed in ghee and garlic - plus a whack of veg & some grilled yam. YUM.

Energy and attitude are great. Thankful that I seem to have jumped over "Kill All The Things" - here's hoping!

Yikes! How fun, though! I think you mentioned there was a related BBQ? How did that go?

Another board member bbq'd to feed us, there wasn't a single vegetable in sight!! I'm almost embarrassed to say I literally had 3 hamburger patties with mustard!! Yes 3! They were just those thin frozen things but the ingredients said: Beef, so I guess I was ok lol

As soon as I got home I told my husband "I need vegetables!!" So I had a big bowl of this cabbage soup I keep on hand for something quick to eat when I need it. Note to self: bring the vege tray

Day 6 almost done, it was a good one overall but in the interested of not sugar-coating things (see what I did there?) I did have more Day8/9-type bathroom time logged today than if I'd been in charge of the schedule... (If you haven't seen the W30 Timeline, it can be full of insight: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/)

Hopefully that phase is over, and I can move forward. Because dinner tonight? Fresh spot prawn that the Hubs caught this afternoon - sautéed in ghee and garlic - plus a whack of veg & some grilled yam. YUM.

Energy and attitude are great. Thankful that I seem to have jumped over "Kill All The Things" - here's hoping!

Not looking forward to that part, the pants just started feeling good :( Dinner sounds delishious! I just shoved a whole plate of sweet potato fries in my face while watching this stinking boxing match, when I really just want to go to bed!

Good Morning and Happy Sunday to all!! Day 6 and feeling great. Temptations are very much under control and I never feel like I reach the point of hunger anymore, in fact yesterday I was shopping with my daughter and had to remind myself around 4:30 that I never ate lunch. I did eat a spinach omelet with an orange for breakfast around 9. So I ate dinner (grilled Salmon, salad, and some watermelon) and felt great all night. Since this is not a calorie counting program etc... I was wondering if I feel satisfied with 2 meals is that OK? or is it important to eat 3 meals a day like we have been programmed to do our whole lives? Anyone else experiencing this?

Good Morning and Happy Sunday to all!! Day 6 and feeling great. Temptations are very much under control and I never feel like I reach the point of hunger anymore, in fact yesterday I was shopping with my daughter and had to remind myself around 4:30 that I never ate lunch. I did eat a spinach omelet with an orange for breakfast around 9. So I ate dinner (grilled Salmon, salad, and some watermelon) and felt great all night. Since this is not a calorie counting program etc... I was wondering if I feel satisfied with 2 meals is that OK? or is it important to eat 3 meals a day like we have been programmed to do our whole lives? Anyone else experiencing this?

Great question!!

Good morning everyone! Day 7!

I'm just a first-timer and not a Moderator, but I think it's really important to aim for three meals each day that also fit the W30 Meal Template. Here are some of the key details about meals and the W30 meal template, and why it's important to follow those goals for eating:

As we explain in detail in It Starts With Food, eating three meals each day with minimal snacking (except pre- and post-workout meals) helps to keep your hormones in a healthy rhythm and teaches you to focus on eating mindfully. However, it’s really okay if you find you have to eat between meals.  For folks who are used to eating six small meals, it might take some time to get used to eating just three big ones. For those who work really long days, you might find that four meals or three meals and a snack are in order. For kids and pregnant/nursing mothers, this recommendation goes right out the window; snack away (just make sure you’re leaving about 3 hours between eating sessions, and not grazing all day). Sometimes, for no apparent reason, you just need a little something to get you through, and that’s okay too.  The success of your Whole30 likely isn’t riding on whether or not you have a mini-meal a few afternoons. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/#sthash.XO6W07X9.dpuf

From: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Use our meal template for a few weeks, until you are able to truly listen to the signals your body is sending you. These guidelines are a good starting place for meal timing and portion sizing–then it’s up to you to make adjustments based on hunger, energy, mood, and athletic performance. - See more at: http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/#sthash.v3SRj3Zo.dpuf

Hi All - I hope it's okay to come here to pat myself on the back :P

I made it through my first family birthday party today. Passed on (of course) pizza and cake. Had lunch right before arriving and then there just nibbled on strawberries and a piece of watermelon. Yay!

I spent a large part of the late afternoon prepping. Done: hard boiled eggs, roasted butternut squash (going to add it to breakfasts a couple of mornings. I'm skeptical but willing to try), homemade mayo, a batch of chicken salad (a good way to use leftover grilled chicken). Whew!

A batch of "Paleo Chili" is cooking on the stove thanks to my hubby.

Feels great to be so on top of things at the end of day 7. It makes up for dying for the piece of pizza!

Rock on, Gina! You're doing so well!!!

So tired today! I slept half of Day 7, I'm not kidding. Woke up from what I think was a solid night's sleep, only to go back to bed for FOUR HOURS later in the morning. Wow. I guess I needed it, because it's nearly bedtime now and I'm ready for more sleep!

The difference I notice due to W30: before when I would have slept/napped like that, I would have woken up feeling very fuzzy and almost hung over - maybe a carb-type hangover? Now, even when I'm tired, I snap right awake, feeling crisp and sharp. Wow. Such a difference.

Eating went well today, stuck to plan. Lunch was hard because, once again, I'd run out of prepped protein and had to rely only on some hard-boiled eggs that I'd made yesterday (thank goodness). Seriously - I have got to go on a big meat run, I can't keep enough meat in the house right now. It's kind-of crazy but I love it. I need to make pounds of browned ground with tons of veggies, and a bunch of grilled patties and just get 'em in the freezer for meals because cooking from scratch all the time is going to kill me and some of my enthusiasm. So this week: Meat Night!! I'll report back, especially if there are any good stories ;-)

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and that everyone's still with us. Chime in, just a quick hello if you don't want to otherwise post, to let us all know who's jammin' into week 2!

Espie

Woohoo Gina!!! I'm dying to try the homemade mayo....how is it really? I'd use it for chicken and tuna salad.

Espie that's how I feel today! Didn't really sleep well and have way less energy than I had over the weekend. Looking forward to getting home from work. We were so tired from working at the pool I didn't feel like grocery shopping or meal prepping. That will fill my day off tomorrow I suppose. And like you I need to stock up on meat! I've never craved red meat before but now I do, is that weird? And I don't mind the fact that we are blazing through fruit and veggies!!

CHEERS to one week down fellow Whole 30ers!!!!

Hi group! I love all the great suggestions! I also need to make some staples to keep in my fridge. I'll try to do that today. I am going to put a pork into the crockpot this morning for some tasty carnitas when I get home tonight

Congrats to all you rock stars who are still with us as we head into week 2!!

Thank you for the cheers, all. So appreciated.
Week 2, baby!

Woohoo Gina!!! I'm dying to try the homemade mayo....how is it really? I'd use it for chicken and tuna salad.

I really, really like the mayo. We have used the Hellman's olive oil mayo for years in my house so maybe that helps? I used the recipe in the Whole30 book which appears to be derived from "Clothes that Make the Girl" blog. It is super easy. I followed Melissa's directions to the tee and it came out perfect both times. I also used the mayo as a base for the ranch dressing recipe in the book and it's yummy too.
BTW, my only other uses for the mayo has been for tuna and chicken salad and both are bdelicious. Try it!
Tip: my grocery store did not have extra light virgin olive oil. I found it at Target.

Oh, and I used a blender (not a stick immersion thingy).

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

Great Job Gina.

JPC--The homemade mayo is AWESOME.   I am not a big mayo fan generally, but that stuff was awesome.

I survived the weekend, my daughter did not.    My son had a baseball tournament about three hours away.   I was not sure how it was going to go, but I managed to eat compliant food, not a complaint schedule though.    The first day I brought carrots and apples.   The concession stand sold a grilled chicken sandwich, which I had minus the bun.   For dinner, my son wanted stop at Steak and Shake.   I got the chicken and guac sandwich, minus the bun and a side salad.   The next day, I brought a couple of hard boiled eggs and apples.   For dinner my husband wanted to go to Old County Buffet.   I was worried, but actually that was probably the easiest place to stay on track.   I had a large salad with oil and vinegar dressing.   They had carved meat and plain vegetables.   I was not even tempted by the good bar.

As I said my daughter did not fair well.   She had to stay behind because she had dance pictures all day on Saturday and Sunday she had softball practice.   She had helped her instructor with the pictures.   For a reward the teacher took for ice cream afterwards.   On Sunday, she was feeling lazy.   Instead of prepping good food, she went for easy.   She said last night she just could not do it.   She still wants to eat healthy, but the rules are just too much for her.   She has really struggled since day one.    She still wants to eat healthy.   I was going to transition to Paleo after the 30 days.    I am still going to cook Whole30 at home, and they family will be "forced" to follow.   However, for her lunches I am going to be a little more Paleo to give her a few more options, so she does not feel so restricted.    

Started on the 27th also.  I am finding the program easier to follow than I thought, and the biggest challenge is that my husband is not on the program.  All seems to be going good except that my allergies are getting worse.  I don't know if that is part of the cleanse, but sneezing and blowing my nose constantly.  Hope that will subside (as I sneeze through this blog).   :lol:

• Administrators

Good morning everyone! Day 7!

I'm just a first-timer and not a Moderator, but I think it's really important to aim for three meals each day that also fit the W30 Meal Template. Here are some of the key details about meals and the W30 meal template, and why it's important to follow those goals for eating:

From: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

This is perfect advice, nice job!

Archived