Chez Julie Whole30 Log - 4/26/15 Start

chezjulie

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W5D32M1    2 Kalua chicken thighs, butternut squash, coconut milk, pumpkin pie spice, orange

W5D32M2    3 Kalua chicken thighs, baby spinach, butternut squash, coconut milk, pumpkin pie spice, applesauce

W5D32M3    shrimp, baby greens, roasted vegetables, cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, sprouts, herb vinaigrette, 3/4 avocado, coconut milk 

Food:  Tried a chicken version of the crockpot Kalua Pig recipe and it turned out well. Cheap (used chicken thighs) and very easy.

Function:  Woke up with more constant burping. It's awful. I'm wondering now if it might be due to the plantain chips, as they're a newly introduced food and apparently the starch from plantains can cause gas.

Feelings:  Tired.

WholeMama, that is a great question. I will detail my reintro plans in a day or two. I'm going to keep going for another work. 

Thanks to my partners in crime Paige/tierramar, Britt/WholeMama623, and Donna/Dnnasttn. It really helps to know that there are other people in the same place that I'm in and that they are rooting for me. Thanks to the other lovely folks who have commented on my log, too. It is really motivating.

Thank you, too, for helping us along chezjulie!  I love your great ideas and you crack me up.

AND congrats on your great results!  Can't wait to hear if you have to go to a smaller shoe size -- ha ha.

The whole country is watching the horrible weather in TX and praying for it to STOP.  Thoughts and prayers are with you and the families of the lost and missing.  

xoxoxoxo

W5D33M1    2 Kalua chicken thighs, butternut squash, coffee w/coconut milk, Gingerade Kombucha

W5D33M2    tuna fish, baby spinach, mushrooms, sugar snap peas, 1/4 avocado, capers, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, 100 Cal. pkg. almonds

W5D33S1     1/2 Kalua chicken thigh, flaked coconut

W5D33M3    1 1/2 TJ's Chile Lime Chicken Burgers sauteed in EVOO, green beans w/EVOO, sweet potato w/ghee, cinnamon, & curry powder, fresh cherries

Food:   seemed like a decent day food-wise; still hungry after my salad at lunch so I had some almonds that I found in my desk drawer

Function:   had a little stomach pain after dinner (the cup of cherries?); relieved to remember that my doc told me that oral steroids could cause GERD, so maybe that's part of what's happening this week

Donna, the smaller shoe size thing is not actually a joke! Last summer when I went to get some new sandals, I was shocked that I could no longer wear my regular size. I had to order the brand that I like online to get the shoes in Wide, and to get the size I needed, the shoes were a little long. So I would be very happy to go back down. I'm not sure if my feet were getting fat like the rest of me, or if they were puffy with inflammation.

And thanks for your thoughts for Texas. It has not impacted me negatively in any way, but there are some pretty sad stories on the news.

W5D33M1    3 eggs & baby spinach sauteed in fat, sauerkraut, 1/2 sweet potato, coffee w/coconut milk

W5D33M3    tuna fish, baby spinach, mushrooms, avocado, EVOO & balsamic vinegar

W5D33M3    3 Applegate hot dogs, sauerkraut, mushrooms, tahini, 2 pineapple slices

W5D33S1     pineapple slice, flaked coconut

Well I appear to be reintroducing Day 33 because it's actually Day 34! LOL. (I put Day 33 twice).

I stopped taking the antibiotics yesterday, so I'm giving myself about a week to reset my gut and then I'll start reintroductions next Thursday, on Day 40. I'm going to do a pretty standard reintroduction but split out soy so I can test it separately. So my schedule will be:

Day 40     Non-gluten grains (oatmeal! sushi!)

Day 43     Soy

Day 46     Legumes

Day 50     Dairy

Day 53     Gluten grains

It will be interesting to see what the reintroduction process is like. I've never thought I was sensitive to foods, and I would have said I have a cast iron stomach, but then I've had lots of issues during this Whole30. I think it's partly GERD but also particular foods like plantain chips and broccoli, and probably the increase in veggies in general.

I feel like the meal template has been really helpful for me, and the high amount of protein and fat, so I'm going to try to actually come up with a meal template for my post-Whole30 life that helps me to keep those protein and fat levels high while incorporating some of the foods that I enjoy that don't bother me, like (hopefully) oatmeal. I plan to call it a WholeJulie.  :)

For some reason I have developed a bit of an obsession with oatmeal over this period.

W5D35M1    2 Applegate hot dogs, mushrooms, mini heirloom tomatoes, & baby spinach sauteed in coconut oil

W5D35M3    sardines pan-fried in EVOO, 1 1/2 Applegate hot dogs, sweet potato w/ghee, 1/2 avocado, baby carrots, sauerkraut

W5D35S1     Gala apple

W5D35M3    1 1/2 TJ's Chile Lime Chicken Burgers sauteed in EVOO, sweet potato w/ghee & pumpkin pie spice, brussels sprouts, cherries

Food:   Loved my breakfast. I actually put a whole pint of sliced mushrooms and three handfuls of tomatoes in the pan, thinking I would have enough for leftovers to use again. There's maybe half a cup of veggies left in the pan! (Not anymore... I went back and ate them, too). Lunch was a little late because my little cat was napping on my chest and he was so cute that I couldn't get up. I had a very large and colorful full plate of lunch.

Function:   Not having the gas issues yesterday or today.

Feelings:   Wow, wow, wow. It has now been 5 weeks since I've had chocolate, Diet Coke, or a soy latte - three staples of my previous diet that had me on a guilt-ridden treadmill of sugar cravings. I need to focus on that enormous victory as I move forward and the positive long-term consequences for my health, which was starting to be affected by my sugar consumption. (This is partly a pep talk to myself because my clothes are a wee bit tighter than on Day 30... I need to be patient and see how a week off meds affects me).

For some reason I have developed a bit of an obsession with oatmeal over this period.

:D

It's weird isn't it, what you obsess over - I have obsessed over rice. I longed for rice!

Watch out though, oats do have gluten, but you can get gluten free ones, well you can over here anyway. Have you ever tried HCL Betaine for the GERD? I suffered for a year, but a few capsules transformed everything - they seemed to kick start my system again.

Well done, five weeks free of coke/soy/chocolate is a brilliant achievement!

Ms. Crow, I do plan to get the gluten free oats for the reintroduction. Thanks for looking out for me!

I've read about HCL Betaine on the forums. I think I will ask my doctor what she thinks. I'm on so many different medications already that I am nervous about adding something that I don't really understand without talking to her.

Well done, five weeks free of coke/soy/chocolate is a brilliant achievement!

Thank you! It is a brilliant achievement, isn't it?!?!?! It has been absolutely mind-blowing to me to realize that my sweets and carbs habit was not a matter of lack of willpower, but just not eating the right things to make me not want that stuff. I have always thought it strange that I have enough willpower to do things like get a master's degree or finish reading The Brother's Karamazov, but somehow when it comes to resisting a bowl of candy on someone's desk, I am this pathetic, embarrassing person without any "willpower." 

This notion of willpower is something I think I will continue to reflect upon. But not right now... our other cat has just climbed on my shoulder.

W5D36M1    TJ's Chile Lime Chicken Burger, small srvg. brussels sprouts, Gala apple, hearty srvg. almond butter, coffee with coconut milk 

W5D36S1    Gingerberry Kombucha

W5D36M2   2 TJ's Garlic Herb Chicken Sausage, sauerkraut, sweet potato w/ghee

W5D36M2   3 Turkey Blueberry Breakfast Muffins, baby spinach w/EVOO, rosemary garlice roasted fingerling potatoes

W5D36S2   1/2 Larabar

Food:   Yup, I really hate Trader Joe's Garlic Herb Chicken Sausage. Never again. The turkey blueberry breakfast muffins, on the other hand, were fabulous. They're kind of like big meatballs made of turkey with some cooked onions and seasonings studded with cooked blueberries. DH liked them, too. I did a cook up this evening of the turkey muffins, a couple of bags of fingerling potatoes, and some green peppers.  

W5D37M1   3 turkey blueberry breakfast muffins w/mayo, fingerling potatoes, Larabar, black coffee

W5D37M2   beef tenderloin, mixed greens, tomato, avocado, EVOO & balsamic vinegar

W5D37S1    Gingerberry Kombucha, 1/2 Larabar

W5D37M3   2 poached eggs, sweet potato w/coconut milk & cinnamon, blueberries

Food:   I saw my PCP today and she checked me out and said I have a sinus infection now. She switched me to a different antibiotic. I was so tired that I just went back home instead of in to work. :( Not much of an appetite for dinner but the new antibiotic was making my stomach hurt so I made myself eat a sweet potato and a couple of poached eggs. 

W5D38M1   deconstructed breakfast taco: 3 eggs, roasted fingerling potatoes, roasted green peppers, salsa, Amaya Roasting Company Temporado coffee with coconut milk

W5D38M2   3 turkey blueberry breakfast muffins, roasted fingerling potatoes, roasted green peppers

W5D38S1    small handful of cashews

W5D38M3   cooked shrimp, carrot sticks, guacamole, Mango Chia Pod

Food:   Breakfast was yummy. Adding the potatoes gave the eggs a fresh vibe, and I'd forgotten about my bottle of compliant salsa. We Texans need our Mexican food sometimes. Mexican breakfast will never be a regular go-to for me, but it was a nice change. Also - I had half a Diet Coke yesterday and 3/4 of a Diet Coke today. It wasn't to do with cravings but with convenience. Being sick and exhausted, I was looking for a caffeinated cold drink and the places where I was (the pharmacy, work) didn't have many options. Since tomorrow is my last "real" day of Whole30-ing, I didn't worry about it (although technically it's not compliant). The sodas were okay... I thought they might taste disgusting and chemical-y to me but they didn't taste too bad - but they really weren't worth it. I'd just as soon have unsweetened iced tea now, so I'm going to plan on sticking with that.

I KNOW, RIGHT?!?!?!?! It totally sucks. Thank you for your kind thoughts. At least I am back at work today.

I'm going to go ahead and do Reintroduction on schedule regardless, and just redo the Whole30 if I need to later.

W5D39M1   3 1/2 turkey blueberry breakfast muffins, roasted fingerling potatoes, heap of baby spinach drizzled w/EVOO, coffee with coconut milk

W5D39M2   3 turkey blueberry breakfast muffins, salad: baby spinach, heirloom tomatoes, radishes, capers, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, cherries

W5D39S1    carrot sticks, guacamole, Gingerberry Kombucha

W5D39M3   grilled salmon fillet, green beans with EVOO, roast potatoes, flaked coconut

W5D39S2    carrot sticks, guacamole

Food:   This is my last "official" day of the Whole30 before reintroductions. Hurrah! I don't even feel that excited about reintroducing other foods, but I do want to get a sense of how my body will respond to them. I am, however, on antibiotics right now and for the next 8 days, so I may get some "false positive" results to foods that seem to upset my system just because I'm on antibiotics or have low levels of good gut bacteria. However, I'm going to go ahead and get started tomorrow since I have a conference in the Bay Area in less than 3 weeks and I need to be done with reintroductions by then. I guess I will move to the Post-Whole30 Log forum tomorrow, so come find me there!

Function:   After not having problems with acid reflux or gas for a while, I woke up in the middle of the night with a bad case of it. I'm not sure what caused it. Maybe the snack before bed?

Feelings:   It's been a crazy ride. I am planning to take the approach for my Post-Whole30 life that I am going to continue to eat with structure, but this time it will be my structure that I develop based on how I function best, what foods I do and don't react to on reintroduction, and what guidelines I think are worth following. For example, if I want to put a frozen banana in the blender and eat it as part of a meal, I will, because despite what Melissa and Dallas say about it being processed, it's still just a banana!

Archived